Fwd = NOZOMI Succeeds in Earth Swingby

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2003
      Originally from: Ron Baalke - Mars Exploration Program <info@...>
      Original Subject: NOZOMI Succeeds in Earth Swingby
      Original Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 17:51:33 -0600

      http://www.isas.ac.jp/e/new/release/2003/02_09.html

      NOZOMI Succeeds in Earth Swingby
      ISAS
      January 17, 2003

      The Mars explorer NOZOMI launched on July 4, 1998, is now cruising in
      interplanetary orbit, targeting the insertion to the Mars orbit at the end
      of 2003. On December 21, 2002, the explorer came close to Earth and
      successfully implemented the earth swingby. The time of its nearest
      approach to Earth was at about 4:37 p.m. with a distance of approx. 30,000
      km. This marked NOZOMI's return home after a long absence. At it's furthest
      point, it was 360 million km away from Earth. Unfortunately, when NOZOMI
      was approaching Earth, we were unable to see it from Japan. By this
      swingby, the explorer deviated a little from the ecliptic plane and shifted
      to the trajectory passing the north of Earth.

      After encountering a large solar flare involving coronal mass ejections on
      April 21, 2002, that damaged equipment and caused its power system to
      malfunction, NOZOMI has been unable to send telemetry. Scientific
      observation during the cruising phase was therefore cancelled. But the
      ranging function for orbit determination and command receiving are normal.
      In addition, by adopting an ingenious technique that makes use the NOZOMI's
      onboard autonomous capability and substituting ON/OFF beacon radio waves
      for telemetry, we are able to implement attitude and orbital control. At
      present we are analyzing in detail the cause of the failure and searching
      for countermeasures for recovery.

      NOZOMI will execute the earth swingby again on June 19, 2003, and enter
      into cruising orbit inside the ecliptic plane. At the end of this year, the
      explorer will be ready to enter into the Mars orbit.