Fwd = Nick Pope's Column

    Message 1 of 54 , Apr 1, 2003
      Original Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 06:31:21 -0800

      Hot Gossip UK April 2003

      Welcome to the April 2003 round-up of news and views on UFOs, alien
      abductions, crop circles and the unexplained.

      Mary Magdalene

      Look out for a fascinating new book on Mary Magdalene. Subtitled
      Christianity's Hidden Goddess, this book takes the reader on a search
      for the truth about a woman who the author believes was Jesus' lover
      and spiritual partner. The book examines in detail what we know about
      Mary, and tries to strip away what the author sees as the conspiracy
      to airbrush her out of history, or at least marginalize her. The clues
      are there, in the Gnostic gospels, the French cult of the Black
      Madonna's and the beliefs of the Carthars. So who was the real Mary
      Magdalene? The author presents evidence suggesting she could have been
      a black woman from Egypt or Ethiopia, with knowledge of ancient
      Egyptian magic and rituals - including sexual rites. If Mary
      Magdalene's title was indeed The Woman Who Knows All, this suggests
      she was far more than the repentant prostitute that Christian dogma
      portrays her as. And if she was really known as Apostle of the
      Apostles, this implies she was actually the most senior apostle, in
      much the same way as the Cosa Nostra use the title Capi di Tutti Capi,
      meaning Boss of All the Bosses. This would have made her successor to
      Jesus' legacy, and this may have been more than the other apostles
      could stand. The patriarchal nature of the Christian church and the
      suppression of women is a consequence of what the author believes was
      a conspiracy to suppress and distort the truth about the Magdalene.
      This book is written by Lynn Picknett, author of The Mammoth Book of
      UFOs, and co-author with Clive Prince of books such as The Stargate
      Conspiracy, The Templar Revelation, Double Standards and War of the
      Windsor's. This controversial book is bound to be condemned by some as
      heretical, so stand by for fireworks. The book is published on 24
      April by Robinson.

      UFO Walk In Rendlesham Forest

      The Forestry Commission are now actively promoting the Rendlesham
      Forest mystery by offering a guided walk of Rendlesham Forest,
      complete with their take on the events. Two walks are currently
      scheduled, one for 24 April and one for 28 August. Information on
      prices and details of where to assemble can be obtained by telephoning
      01394 450164.

      Robert Bauval Lecture

      Robert Bauval is due to lecture in Glastonbury Town Hall on Saturday
      26 April, when he will give a presentation entitled New Understanding
      of the Sky-Religion of the Ancient Egyptians. Early booking is
      essential, and those interested should telephone 01458 831666 for
      details. Check out www.themuseumofpaganheritage.org for details of
      other talks and exhibitions being run in Glastonbury, or to book
      online.

      Graham Hancock On Extraterrestrials

      I happened to be in Glastonbury on 8 March visiting an abductee, and
      we decided to attend a lecture by Graham Hancock. It was a fascinating
      update on his research into lost civilisations, and centred around
      various dives he and his wife Santha have carried out on sites which
      they believe could point to the existence of a civilisation that
      existed around 11,000 years ago - a date when conventional wisdom has
      it that no civilisation existed. As an interesting aside, during
      question time the issue of extraterrestrials was raised, but Graham
      said that nothing he had seen needed the intervention of aliens.
      Somebody from the audience then suggested that crop circles might
      suggest such intervention, and a sizeable number of the audience
      signalled their agreement. Graham acknowledged this belief, without
      actively endorsing the view. For those interested in Graham Hancock
      and his work, check out www.grahamhancock.com for details, and read
      his latest book, entitled Underworld.

      Sir Patrick Moore On UFOs

      The Review section of The Independent on 6 March contained a question
      and answer session with Sir Patrick Moore, with the questions having
      been submitted by members of the public. One question was as follows:
      Have you ever seen a UFO while gazing into space? Would you be
      surprised if an alien landed in your garden? Sir Patrick replied as
      follows, in his own unique style: Yes, I have spotted a UFO. I was in
      my observatory one night, looking at the Moon. Then I saw dozens of
      flying saucers swirling around. I thought: ?The Martians have
      arrived!? But then I realised I was looking at pollen slightly out of
      focus. The moon light was playing tricks on me. Of course, aliens
      could visit Earth - after all, there are 100 billion stars in our
      galaxy. And I'd be delighted if they landed in my garden. I'd say,
      ?Good afternoon. Tea or Coffee?? but I don't think they've visited us
      yet. People who think they've seen alien life are mistaken. Astronomy
      attracts crackpots; I can't quite tell you why. They write to me and
      tell me their theories of the universe. I say, ?Can you send me the
      mathematical proof?? For more details of Sir Patrick, his views on
      UFOs and his extraordinary career as our favourite astronomer, check
      out his newly released autobiography, entitled 80 Not Out.

      Taken

      The Steven Spielberg miniseries Taken has now finished its UK run. It
      will be interesting to see whether this leads to an upsurge of
      interest in the alien abduction mystery. So far I have only had one
      new case reported to me where the person concerned specifically
      mentioned the show. Whether more come forward remains to be seen.
      There have been several newspaper and magazine articles about
      abductions, prompted by the series, so if nothing else there may be a
      wider debate on the issue. I enjoyed the series and watched it all the
      way through. BBC 3 viewers may have seen me discuss the show on Pure
      Taken, which aired immediately after episode 10 on 22 March. I was one
      of the studio guests in an hour long show where we discussed the
      series, showed clips, took calls from the public, and had live
      satellite links with cast members. For fans who want to know more
      about the show, check out www.scifi.com/taken for the official
      site, or search for any number of unofficial sites.

      Ed's Note:

      Nick Pope has written four books. Open Skies, Closed Minds is an
      overview of the UFO phenomenon with the emphasis on his official
      Ministry of Defence research and investigation. The Uninvited is an
      overview of the alien abduction mystery. Operation Thunder Child and
      Operation Lightning Strike are science fiction novels about alien
      invasion, incorporating UFO and abduction data. All four titles are
      available from most good bookshops and all the usual Internet book
      sites.

      © Knight International 2002

      Message 54 of 54 , Jul 2, 2003
        Original Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 07:58:36 -0700

        Hot Gossip UK July 2003

        Welcome to the July 2003 round-up of news and views on UFOs, alien
        abductions, crop circles, the unexplained, the weird and the
        wonderful.

        A Roswell Requiem

        Volume 10, Number 1 of Skeptic magazine contains an interesting 14
        page article on the Roswell incident. The article is written by B. D.
        ìDukeî Gildenberg, a meteorologist who was involved with USAAF and
        USAF operations, including Project Mogul, that he believes were
        responsible for triggering the Roswell incident. He was also involved
        in work for Project Blue Book, and more recently he was involved as a
        witness and researcher for the 1997 Pentagon investigation into the
        incident, which culminated in the publication of The Roswell Report:
        Case Closed. The article is entitled A Roswell Requiem. Given this,
        and the magazine in which it is published, readers will not be
        surprised to learn that the author attributes the Roswell Incident to
        Project Mogul, compounded by the fallibility of human memory, and
        exaggeration and lies on the part of certain people. He blames
        authors, publishers and TV producers for fuelling a modern myth, and
        concludes that ufology should move on from what he regards as a
        totally discredited case. Those who have read the two USAF reports The
        Roswell Report: Fact vs. Fiction in the New Mexico Desert and The
        Roswell Report: Case Closed will not find much new in the article, but
        this is not to detract from what is an important and well-written
        summary of the sceptical case against Roswell. Gildenberg uses the
        testimony of Captain Cavitt against the claims of Major Jesse Marcel,
        and that of Professor Kimball against the claims of Glenn Dennis.
        Believers can legitimately argue that the memories of Cavitt, say, are
        no more or less reliable than those of Marcel. However, any suggestion
        that those witnesses or experts supporting the official view are part
        of the conspiracy, or have been got at, would be more tenuous. The
        article has a sarcastic tone in places, but setting that aside, it is
        an important piece of journalism that, whatever ones views on Roswell,
        deserves a wider audience in ufology than it will probably get. Click
        on [1]www.skeptic.com for details of the magazine.

        Crop Circle Advertising

        Images of crop circles have often been incorporated into
        advertisements, illustrating how they have become part of the popular
        culture. The same has happened with UFOs and aliens. A new
        advertisement for tourism in Wiltshire has now used a crop circle
        photograph to promote the area, which is an interesting example of
        local government officials using the imagery. The imagery appears in a
        magazine advertisement, but there are a couple of references to crop
        circles on the official local authority site at [2]www.kennet.gov.uk
        together with links to some crop circle websites.

        NASA Nuclear Mission

        In a controversial move, NASA have given the go ahead to a deep space
        mission powered by a miniature nuclear reactor. The move has upset
        environmentalists concerned at the safety implications, especially in
        the light of the tragic loss of the space shuttle Columbia earlier
        this year. An essential safety feature will mean that the reactor
        cannot be switched on until the spacecraft has gone well beyond the
        orbit of the Earth. Project Prometheus involves NASA funding Lockheed
        Martin to investigate the concepts needed to design a viable nuclear
        propulsion system. The first aim would be a mission to some of the
        moons of Jupiter such as Callisto, Europa and Ganymede, where
        primitive life may exist in oceans beneath the icy surfaces. The
        likely launch date will be 2011. In the longer term, this technology
        may be the first step towards the previously stated NASA aim of a star
        mission. For this to occur in a meaningful timescale, radical new
        propulsion systems will be needed, incorporating nuclear mission, or
        matter/antimatter annihilation.

        Open Skies Closed Minds in Romania

        I am pleased to announce that my first book Open Skies Closed Minds is
        to be published in Romania. Open Skies Closed Minds is an overview of
        the UFO phenomenon, focusing on my running the UK Government UFO
        research and investigation project, at the Ministry of Defence. My
        books are available in America, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, and
        have previously been translated into various other languages,
        including German, Greek and Polish. On past form, English language UFO
        books being translated into other languages leads to greater liaison
        between researchers in different countries, and results in previously
        unreported cases being given greater prominence. My thanks go to the
        respected ufologist Ion Hobana for arranging this.

        Glastonbury Symposium 2003

        On 25, 26 and 27 July the Glastonbury Symposium 2003 takes place at
        The Town Hall, Glastonbury. Entitled Investigating Crop Circles and
        Signs of Our Times, the symposium features a host of well known names,
        including Maurice Cotterell, Ed Sherwood and Michael Glickman. The
        special Sunday night guest is Budd Hopkins. However, the focus will be
        on crop circles, and the event includes a coach tour of whatever
        formations are in the area at the time. The event is hosted by Andy
        Thomas and Karen Douglas, and details can be found at the
        [3]www.glastonburysymposium.co.uk website.

        The 2003 Crop Circle Convention

        If Glastonbury whets your appetite, then there is another three day
        crop circle conference on 8, 9 and 10 August, in the Cricklade Theatre
        in Andover, Hampshire. Invited speakers include Colin Andrews, Reg
        Presley, Philip Mantle, Lucy Pringle and Busty Taylor. I have no
        internet site details for this event, but further information can be
        obtained by telephoning 01392 677462 any evening. Bookings can be made
        by calling 01264 360063 during office hours.

        Ed's Note:

        Nick Pope has written four books. Open Skies, Closed Minds is an
        overview of the UFO phenomenon with the emphasis on his official
        Ministry of Defence research and investigation. The Uninvited is an
        overview of the alien abduction mystery. Operation Thunder Child and
        Operation Lightning Strike are science fiction novels about alien
        invasion, incorporating UFO and abduction data. All four titles are
        available from most good bookshops and all the usual Internet book
        sites.

        © Knight International 2003