Fwd = Meteor-like object seen in Sharjah (United Arab Emirates)

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2 3:07 AM
      Original Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 20:06:50 +0100 (CET)

      Khaleej Times Online

      Meteor-like object seen in Sharjah
      By Tarek Fleihan, Meraj Rizvi, Zaigham Ali and Hani Bathish

      SHARJAH - In what could be described as a rare celestial spectacle,
      a meteor-like fiery object was seen shooting across the skies in
      Sharjah and was incidentally captured on tape for over four minutes
      by Talal Hajjar, a student of the American University of Sharjah
      (AUS), at around 6:30pm yesterday.

      'I was driving by the men's dormitory when I pulled over after
      noticing this huge ball of fire streaking across the sky along a
      sharp axis towards the East at great speed and my first impression
      was that may be it was a common occurrence,' said Mr Talal,
      recounting his first reaction. 'But something told me that it was
      extraordinary, and I ran back to the car and pulled out my camera,
      which I was carrying because of the Mass Communication Media
      filming project and the constant pressure from my teacher Professor
      Beagalow,' said Mr Talal excitedly.

      The meteorological offices in Dubai and Sharjah said that the
      available satellite pictures suggest no unusual activity in the
      skies. 'This sort of thing is too small to register on a satellite
      picture, more so because at one particular time, we cover a limited
      area,' said one weatherman.

      According to a geological expert in the UAE, the falling object,
      if it did fall to the ground, would have created enough vibrations
      to be picked up by a seismograph, the instrument used to detect
      earthquakes. He said that the falling object either did not reach
      the ground and just burnt up in the sky, or if it did reach the
      ground it fell in the sea.
      From the fiery orange tail and the speed of its descent, estimated
      by an amateur astronomer to be over Mach 20, among the explanations
      produced is that it is either space debris or a large meteorite.

      © 2003 Khaleej Times All Rights Reserved.