Fwd = [fort] The best UFO cases

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2003
      Originally from: fort@yahoogroups.com
      Original Subject: [fort] Digest Number 1435
      Original Date: 28 Feb 2003 22:28:08 -0000

      Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 19:48:57 -0700
      From: "Terry W. Colvin" <fortean1@...>
      Subject: The best UFO cases

      Science Frontiers, No. 146, Mar-Apr, 2003, p. 4

      UNCLASSIFIED

      The Best UFO Cases

      M.D. Swords recently asked a veteran UFO researcher which UFO cases he
      would rate highest in terms of believability and anomalousness. The
      expert advanced the following five cases:

      *White Sands Missile Test Center, New Mexico, June 10, 1949;

      *Las Cruces, New Mexico, August 20, 1949;

      *Chesapeake Bay, Virginia, July 14, 1952;

      *Topcliffe Naval Base, North Yorkshire, September 19, 1952; and

      *Boianai Mission, Papua, New Guinea, June 26-28, 1959.

      The critical facts in the expert's choices were: *multiple* witnesses,
      *expert* witnesses, *instrumented* observations, *anomalous* behavior,
      and enough *time* to observe the phenomenon well. Each of the five
      cases met all or most of these criteria.

      This experienced researcher, who wished to remain anonymous, probably
      because of government or academic connections, concluded:

      The cases very strongly point towards physical objects,
      artificially constructed, which operate in our skies in
      ways which deny any normal natural or modern technological
      explanation.

      Swords, a professor emeritus at Western Michigan University and also an UFO
      researcher, commented that he would have added several other cases to the
      above list, such as Levelland, Texas, November 1957, and Coyne's helicopter
      sighting, October 18, 1973.

      The cases cited by both individuals occurred before 1973; none left physical
      evidence; none involved abductions of the percipients. There was no claim
      of extraterrestrial origins.

      (Swords, Michael D.; "What's Convincing about UFOs?" *International UFO
      Reporter,* 27:3, Summer 2002.)

      Comment. The Sourcebook Project does maintain a few UFO files consisting
      of articles extracted mainly from science journals and magazines. Our
      files single out only eight major cases, including World War II's "foo
      fighters"; the 1997 Arizona flyover; Lakenheath, 1956; etc. (Yes, only
      eight compared with the tens of thousands in the UFOlogists' computer
      files.) None in our puny files include *any* of those favored by Swords
      and the anonymous expert. Apparently, we are fishing in different waters.
      The list differences also reveal a lot about the selectivity of science
      journals and magazines, as well as our lack of effort in the pursuit of
      the UFO phenomenon! If we collected newspaper clippings our files would
      overfloweth.

      [Object looking like a hassock with a dome on top...]
      Sketch of an unidentified object seen in the sky over the Indian Ocean in
      1983 by the crew of the *m.v. Baron Pentland.* This UFO was reported in
      the *Marine Observer,* 54:27, 1984, which is published by the U.K.
      Meteorological Office. Our slim UFO files usually come from this class
      of journals.

      --
      Terry W. Colvin, Sierra Vista, Arizona (USA) < fortean1@... >
      Alternate: < fortean1@... >