Fwd = [fort] The Naga Fireballs

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2003
      Originally from: fort@yahoogroups.com
      Original Subject: [fort] Digest Number 1435
      Original Date: 28 Feb 2003 22:28:08 -0000

      Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 19:48:44 -0700
      From: "Terry W. Colvin" <fortean1@...>
      Subject: The Naga Fireballs

      Science Frontiers, No. 146, Mar-Apr, 2003, p. 4

      GEOPHYSICS

      The Naga Fireballs

      Twice before (SF#114 and #116), we have touched on the Naga Fireballs that
      rise from Thailand's Mekong River when the moon is full on the eleventh
      lunar month (in October). During this annual event, hundreds, sometimes
      thousands, of red, pink, and orange luminous spheres break the river's
      surface and sail off into the sky. This event has been observed for
      hundreds of years and, in modern times, repeatedly video-taped. It is
      now a major tourist attraction.

      The year 2002 display was disappointing; only 824 fireballs counted at
      the usual locations. And they seem to be getting smaller, too. In 1994,
      some were the size of beachballs, in 2002 the size reference is the tennis
      ball.

      Scientific studies of the phenomenon seem nonexistent. We are left only
      with some very wild surmises: (1) Spontaneous ignition of riverbed gas
      deposits released by the full-moon's gravitational pull (!); and (2) The
      combustion of natural butane and atomic oxygen created by the full-moon's
      radiation!

      Obviously, we need some hard science applied here. And what's so
      different about the October full moon gravitation-wise and ultraviolet-wise?

      (Sutton, David; "The Naga Fireballs," *Fortean Times,* no. 166, p. 35,
      February 2003. Anonymous; *The Gate,* p. 10, January 2003. Both of these
      off-mainstream publications cite Thai newspapers.)

      Comment. There are more-solid references. See GLN1-X73 in our *Remarkable
      Luminous Phenomena.*

      Also: Naga lights = Nekha lights.

      --
      Terry W. Colvin, Sierra Vista, Arizona (USA) < fortean1@... >