Fwd = Mysterious Blocks Of Ice Falls From Airplanes

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 22, 2003
      Original Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 04:57:11 -0500

      Mysterious Blocks Of Ice Falls From Airplanes

      Chunks Of Ice The Size Of Bowling Balls Have Fallen From Airplanes

      POSTED: 11:02 p.m. PST February 19, 2003
      UPDATED: 4:39 p.m. PST February 20, 2003
      A freak accident that almost killed a Santa Cruz mother and daughter
      turns out to be more common than you might think.

      NBC11's Brad Hicks has been investigating the mysterious "ice from
      above" that falls from the sky without warning.
      FeedRoom

      Ice From Above

      You need a ladder to see how close Gus Zesati's wife and daughter came
      to being killed in their Santa Cruz home, Hicks said.

      Zesati said he and his daughter were hanging out in her bedroom
      talking to each other when suddenly something fell through their
      ceiling that sounded like a bomb.

      A bowling ball sized block of ice had fallen from the sky from an
      airplane. It had that telltale color of "toilet bowl blue".

      "And if that chunk of ice had landed on one of my kids or me or my
      wife -- instant death," Zesati said.

      The FAA says it rarely happens. But just a month later, just a mile
      away another person heard a big loud bang that was described "like
      somebody shot a shotgun."

      Ray Erickson's boat got hit by a chunk of ice. "Had I been sitting
      there, it wouldn't have been too good," Erickson said.

      Santa Cruz is not the only part of the Bay Area to have experienced
      the falling blue ice.

      Arlene Lawson in Menlo Park can tell you about the time an icy blue
      missile just missed the man in a chair.

      "It came all the way from the top of the roof, through the second
      floor, and down through here," Lawson said.

      Scott relic with San Jose State's Aviation Department points to the
      access panel where the toilet tank valve can leak.

      "The blue ice liquid will form here and begin to seep out of the panel
      and build up, and you get a pretty good slug of ice here," Yelich
      said.

      And when that slug of ice breaks off -- look out below, Hicks said.

      The airplane manufacturers know about the problem.

      A Boeing report says "severe damage may occur"-- not just to people on
      the ground, but also to the plane itself if the ice hits an engine.
      It's up to the ground crews to find the problem and fix it.

      The FAA tries to find out which plane the ice came from, but really
      has no idea how often it happens because usually the ice lands in
      places where it's never reported.

      The airlines are slowly changing over to toilet valves that don't leak
      as often, Hicks reported.

      Copyright 2003 by NBC11.com. All rights reserved.