Fwd = [SeeSat-L] STS-107 from Mt. Hamilton pictures posted

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2003
      Originally from: SeeSat-D-request@...
      Original Subject: SeeSat-D Digest V2003 #47
      Original Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 23:30:10 -0500

      Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 13:51:45 -0800
      From: "Rick Baldridge" <rickbaldridge@...>
      Subject: STS-107 from Mt. Hamilton pictures posted

      Hello all.

      It's been a very busy 36 hours trying to get data reduced and info to NASA
      on the video and pictures I took.

      The two still photos I took from Mt. Hamilton (right next to the 40" dome at
      Lick Observatory -- coords N37° 20.498' W121° 38.579' Alt 4230feet WGS84
      datum) have been scanned (rather poorly by myself, I might add!) and
      annotated. I've posted them at:

      http://photos.yahoo.com/rickbaldridge

      Click on "Astronomy Stuff" album.

      I won't speculate at this point -- we've had quite enough of that already.
      Let's just say the photos, videos and eyewitness accounts definitely show
      that something was amiss while COLUMBIA was over California. With this
      being my 4th observed reentry, I have a lot of experience looking over
      photos and videos that I've taken and nothing unusual showed on the previous
      three.

      Funny thing was, several of us who saw STS-107 Saturday morning didn't see
      anything we would call really "unusual" using the naked-eye . The only
      comments were that the "color" seemed a bit off, perhaps more "orange", but
      that could be explained by a variety of causes. Only later when we looked
      at the video and developed the slides did we see something funny was going
      on. This leads me to believe that the average eye-witness in California may
      not have seen something going on when in fact it was. Hooray for video
      cameras. (Just ask Rodney King!)

      More later.

      RICK BALDRIDGE