Re: UFO UpDate: Re: Is Ufology Dead Or Just Dozing? - Hale

  • Joe McGonagle
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2003
      >From: Roy Hale <roy.hale@...>
      >To: <ufoupdates@...>
      >Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 17:13:56 -0000
      >Subject: Re: Is Ufology Dead Or Just Dozing?
      >

      >>From: Joe McGonagle <joe@...>
      >>To: <ufoupdates@...>
      >>Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 07:57:01 -0000
      >>Subject: >

      <snip>

      >>They are difficult to find amongst all of the commercial links.
      >>On the UFO page, you have a link marketing a Fortune Teller
      >>CD..... what sort of impression do you think this gives of
      >>ufology?
      >
      >It gives the impression that I sell CDs on my site? The articles
      >are very well read, my stats tell me this.

      IMO, it also gives the impression that ufologists generally are
      inclined to take fortune telling (or entrail divining, etc)
      seriously.

      >>You also have a link to:
      >
      >>http://www.AngliaEarthMysteries.co.uk
      >
      >>You may be unaware, but the "owner" of AEM who goes under
      >>various names including Jack/Jac/Steve
      Solomon/Lassiter/Sheridan
      >>and combinations thereof is currently in legal dispute with the
      >>Norfolk UFO Society with regard to group assets and other
      >>matters. In fact, if you follow the link which is on your site:
      >
      >>http://www.angliaearthmysteries.co.uk
      >
      >>there is a brief statement about the matter there.
      >
      >I am probably not the only site with a link to this one, on the
      web.

      I totally agree, I just thought I should point it out since I had
      the opportunity.

      >>Another UK site:
      >
      >>http://www.crowdedskies.com
      >
      >>by Roy Lake carries an article by Tony Dodd dated June 2002
      >>about the 1970 lightning crash, complete with a fake transcript
      >>of the in-flight conversation. This incident recently received
      >>great deal of publicity both on the national media, and in the
      >>UK UFO magazine due to the release of the flight accident
      report
      >>by the MOD. The UFO connection has effectively been shown to be
      >>an outright hoax, but there is no mention of these details at
      >>the site. I am not suggesting that either Tony Dodd or Roy Lake
      >>were conscious parties to the hoax, but it is an example of an
      >>article with no foundation in reality (and it does raise a
      >>questionmark about Dodd's effectivness as an "Alien
      >>Investigator"....).
      >
      >Roy Lake is a good friend of mine, I have known roy for years, I
      >will pass this comment on to him, I feel I am unable to comment
      >on the issue you raise, perhaps roy will contact you, or even
      >Tony Dodd.

      Thanks, I appreciate that. I did try to reach Tony via the site
      some time ago, but got no reply for some reason.

      <snip>

      >>the Sheffield Incident as put forward by convicted drug dealer,
      >>Max Burns. How someone like him can manipulate people into
      >>supporting him in spite of his lack of remorse for his crime
      >>astounds me! He is definitely one character that ufology would
      >>be better off without!
      >
      >Every good journalist prefers to meet the people on such issues,
      >I take it you did this on some occasion?

      No, I tend to avoid the company of convicted criminals when I
      can. Especially drug dealers.

      >>Please don't misunderstand me, I appreciate that operating such
      >>a web site soaks up a lot of time, money, and effort, and I
      >>wouldn't expect it to be perfect in every way, but perhaps you
      >>can see the point about how ufology is often misrepresented on
      >>the internet in such a way as to either confuse people about
      >>what ufology encompasses, or even scare them away from the
      >>topic! I quite like a lot of the content at your sites, there
      >>are far worse ones out there.....
      >
      >So what official body would you like to see set up, to make sure
      >that only the correct data, passed by another body, is seen?

      I am glad you asked that question, Roy. I have set up a working
      party related to the question which you will find the details of
      in a seperate post.

      Thanks for responding to my post, and I am glad to see that you
      took no offence at my slightly critical comments.

      Cheers, Joe