Fwd = [B-T] Help with ID of aircraft...

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2003
      Originally from: black-triangle@yahoogroups.com
      Original Subject: [B-T] Digest Number 889
      Original Date: 2 Jan 2003 10:28:02 -0000

      Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2003 14:39:05 -0000
      From: "Jeff Swayze <jswayze@...>" <jswayze@...>
      Subject: Help with ID of aircraft...

      Hi all,

      I've been searching the web for a discussion group on advanced aircraft,
      and this one seems to be just what I was looking for.

      A friend of my wife's had been to the Florida Keys recently (about a month
      ago, I guess) and described a very intriguing observation. I was able to
      speak with her last night and get a few more details, and I thought I'd
      pass them on and see if anyone could help identify what she saw.

      What she observed was a single F-18 (she's sure of this) escorting a
      "triangular-shaped" aircraft that was much bigger than the F-18 -
      approximately three times as large. The both banked, apparently showing
      her a perfect profile of the shape. Now the interesting part. Either
      during or after the bank (she didn't describe the transition) both
      aircraft accelerated, but the larger craft's acceleration was phenomenal,
      and she said it simply flew out of sight almost instantly and left the
      F-18 behind. She compared it to the "Star Trek" visualization of going
      into "warp" speed.

      I'm an engineer, and I know a bit about military aircraft, so my first
      deduction was that this triangular craft must have a new propulsion
      technology. I've seen both video and live demonstrations of accelerating
      aircraft, and when you're on the ground and they're several thousand feet
      up, you can still easily see the planes as they're accelerating. For one
      to just zip out of sight would require incredible power.

      I'll leave it at that for now, and I'll be happy to answer any questions I
      can. I'm also going to try to get a sketch of the aircraft's profile from
      the witness - she remembers it quite clearly. Until then, I'd love to
      hear any theories on what this aircraft might be. FWIW, I though of the
      A-12 (too small, and a killed project) and the F-117 (just a tad bigger
      than the F-18, and not fast enough, I think). I'd also guess it was a
      Navy aircraft because of the F-18, but I know NASA uses F-18s as well.

      Anyhow, thanks for reading. I'm *very* curious as to what this aircraft
      might be.

      -Jeff