Fw: [uforesearch] Is ufology dead, or just dozing?

  • Joe McGonagle
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 29, 2002
      [crosspost from uforesearch list]
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Will Matthews" <will@...>
      To: <uforesearch@...>
      Sent: Sunday, December 29, 2002 12:53 PM
      Subject: Re: [uforesearch] Is ufology dead, or just dozing?

      Ah but that depends on the mandate you set yourself and the
      structure of the organisation.

      Surely, if the Ufologist spends 2 months making sure that this
      last UFO sighting wasn't swamp gas, reflecting the light from
      Venus, through a weather a balloon and making sure who saw it?
      who didn't? did the RAF pickup? etc, etc. I suggest that Ufology
      sticks to what can be proved. I have nothing against the topics I
      listed (of course not) but the moment you suggest something
      unpalatable, whoooosh, you enter into the realms of people
      ideologies and beliefs, hear-say and speculation.

      "spiritualism, religious, illuminati, politics and none of that
      ancient astronaut stuff" cannot be proved outside of reasonable
      doubt. The fact that maybe 200 people spotted and photographed a
      series of lights can be proved, if they were flying in the
      formation of the 'eye of ra', were they, weren't they, who can be
      sure?

      I thought that the core tenants of Ufology was to prove the
      mystery, i.e. These strange phenomena are real. As to what they
      are? Perhaps another discipline. Unless we get our hands on one,
      all we can do is speculate. Surely, focusing on what can be
      proved is the goal.

      Having said, that for my money, its already been proved. But
      could that be the problem also?

      /Will
    • Joe McGonagle
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 29, 2002