Fwd = Nick Pope's Column

    Message 1 of 54 , Dec 4, 2002
      Original Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 04:25:35 -0800

      Hot Gossip UK December 2002

      Welcome to the joint December 2002/January 2003 round-up of news and
      views on UFOs, alien abductions, crop circles and the unexplained.

      Nick Pope Website

      For some time now I have been working on an official website to
      publicise my Government work on UFOs, together with the research that
      I now carry out in a private capacity. I am pleased to say that the
      initial phase of this project has now been achieved. The site is at
      www.nickpope.net and contains a wealth of material that I hope will be
      of interest to people in general, and useful for researchers and
      journalists. Material on the site may be freely used for
      non-commercial gain, provided credit is given, and no permission is
      necessary to link with the site. The site is still under development,
      and is still quite raw in places. Improvements and additions will be
      made over the next few months, but it had been an aspiration to get
      the site up by the end of 2002, hence the decision to launch now. The
      bulk of the material is under the Selected Essays section. This
      includes my article on the National Council for Hypnotherapy
      initiative on alien abductions, and the two Official History articles
      that Georgina Bruni and I wrote, documenting the early history of
      British Government interest in the UFO phenomenon. Anyway, please do
      check out the website. I hope you enjoy looking around.

      Florence Conference

      Last month I spent a very enjoyable three days in the city of
      Florence, where I was attending a conference organised by an Italian
      group called Gruppo Accademico Ufologico Scandicci. Speakers included
      GAUS president Francesco Marziali, Roberto Volterri, Marco Baldini,
      Roberto Pinotti and Paola Harris. Whilst sightseeing in Florence Paola
      Harris and I took the chance to see the famous painting of the
      Nativity in the Palazzo Vecchio. This painting includes an anomalous
      object behind the head of the Madonna, which many believe to be a UFO.
      The painting is attributed to the 15th Century school of Filippo
      Lippi, and is featured on pages 28 and 29 of The Best Available
      Evidence, the briefing document prepared jointly by CUFOS, FUFOR and
      MUFON. While in the Uffizi Gallery I noticed another painting that
      might be interpreted as containing UFO imagery, namely Coronation of
      the Virgin by Beato Angelico. Search on Lippi and UFO to get links to
      the first picture, and on Beato Angelico and Coronation of the Virgin
      for the second.

      British Ufology 2002 - The Year In View

      It has been quite a year for British ufology, as this list of
      highlights shows.

      January

      The annual release of papers at the Public Record Office includes more
      UFO material, including the Flying Saucer Working Party, acquired
      previously by several researchers but now freely available to the
      public. This attracts some media coverage in several national
      newspapers.

      February

      MOD confirm to Georgina Bruni that Defence Intelligence Staff files
      that may have contained documents on the Rendlesham Forest incident
      have been destroyed. Final surviving documents are published in July.

      March

      UFO Magazine publishes allegations that a D-Notice was used to
      terminate live coverage of strange events during a crop circle
      experiment in 1990.

      April

      As part of an article entitled Official History, by Georgina Bruni and
      myself, UFO Magazine publishes three top secret documents mentioning
      UFOs. This is the first time any British UFO documents at this
      classification have been published.

      May

      National newspaper coverage of allegations that RAF pilot training
      includes material on UFO sightings. Story is a hoax.

      June

      MOD and BBC work with the sons of Captain William Schaffner, to find
      out cause of his death in 1970. Accident file located, and rumours
      about UFO connection to his death disproved. The resultant documentary
      is broadcast in September.

      July

      The Summer 2002 National Council for Hypnotherapy (NCH) journal
      contains an article by psychotherapist and hypnotherapist David
      Howard, detailing NCH policy on working with people alleging alien
      abduction.

      August

      The most spectacular crop circle of the season appears in a wheat
      field in Sparsholt, Hampshire. Depicts an alien holding a CD.

      September

      UFO Magazine hold their 21st International UFO Conference at Leeds. On
      the Saturday evening, Stanton Friedman receives The Lifetime
      Achievement Award for his contribution to ufology. Sharon Larkin wins
      UFO Investigator of the Year award.

      October

      National newspaper and TV coverage of a UFO picture allegedly taken in
      Tonbridge, Kent. Similarities with the famous McMinnville photos.

      November

      BBC2 win bidding for new Steven Spielberg drama on alien abduction,
      entitled Taken. Expected to be screened next year, probably in
      January.

      Ed's Note:

      Nick Pope has written four books. Open Skies, Closed Minds is an
      overview of the UFO phenomenon with the emphasis on his official
      Ministry of Defence research and investigation. The Uninvited is an
      overview of the alien abduction mystery. Operation Thunder Child and
      Operation Lightning Strike are science fiction novels about alien
      invasion, incorporating UFO and abduction data. All four titles are
      available from most good bookshops and all the usual Internet book
      sites.

      © Knight International 2002

      Message 54 of 54 , Jul 2, 2003
        Original Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 07:58:36 -0700

        Hot Gossip UK July 2003

        Welcome to the July 2003 round-up of news and views on UFOs, alien
        abductions, crop circles, the unexplained, the weird and the
        wonderful.

        A Roswell Requiem

        Volume 10, Number 1 of Skeptic magazine contains an interesting 14
        page article on the Roswell incident. The article is written by B. D.
        ìDukeî Gildenberg, a meteorologist who was involved with USAAF and
        USAF operations, including Project Mogul, that he believes were
        responsible for triggering the Roswell incident. He was also involved
        in work for Project Blue Book, and more recently he was involved as a
        witness and researcher for the 1997 Pentagon investigation into the
        incident, which culminated in the publication of The Roswell Report:
        Case Closed. The article is entitled A Roswell Requiem. Given this,
        and the magazine in which it is published, readers will not be
        surprised to learn that the author attributes the Roswell Incident to
        Project Mogul, compounded by the fallibility of human memory, and
        exaggeration and lies on the part of certain people. He blames
        authors, publishers and TV producers for fuelling a modern myth, and
        concludes that ufology should move on from what he regards as a
        totally discredited case. Those who have read the two USAF reports The
        Roswell Report: Fact vs. Fiction in the New Mexico Desert and The
        Roswell Report: Case Closed will not find much new in the article, but
        this is not to detract from what is an important and well-written
        summary of the sceptical case against Roswell. Gildenberg uses the
        testimony of Captain Cavitt against the claims of Major Jesse Marcel,
        and that of Professor Kimball against the claims of Glenn Dennis.
        Believers can legitimately argue that the memories of Cavitt, say, are
        no more or less reliable than those of Marcel. However, any suggestion
        that those witnesses or experts supporting the official view are part
        of the conspiracy, or have been got at, would be more tenuous. The
        article has a sarcastic tone in places, but setting that aside, it is
        an important piece of journalism that, whatever ones views on Roswell,
        deserves a wider audience in ufology than it will probably get. Click
        on [1]www.skeptic.com for details of the magazine.

        Crop Circle Advertising

        Images of crop circles have often been incorporated into
        advertisements, illustrating how they have become part of the popular
        culture. The same has happened with UFOs and aliens. A new
        advertisement for tourism in Wiltshire has now used a crop circle
        photograph to promote the area, which is an interesting example of
        local government officials using the imagery. The imagery appears in a
        magazine advertisement, but there are a couple of references to crop
        circles on the official local authority site at [2]www.kennet.gov.uk
        together with links to some crop circle websites.

        NASA Nuclear Mission

        In a controversial move, NASA have given the go ahead to a deep space
        mission powered by a miniature nuclear reactor. The move has upset
        environmentalists concerned at the safety implications, especially in
        the light of the tragic loss of the space shuttle Columbia earlier
        this year. An essential safety feature will mean that the reactor
        cannot be switched on until the spacecraft has gone well beyond the
        orbit of the Earth. Project Prometheus involves NASA funding Lockheed
        Martin to investigate the concepts needed to design a viable nuclear
        propulsion system. The first aim would be a mission to some of the
        moons of Jupiter such as Callisto, Europa and Ganymede, where
        primitive life may exist in oceans beneath the icy surfaces. The
        likely launch date will be 2011. In the longer term, this technology
        may be the first step towards the previously stated NASA aim of a star
        mission. For this to occur in a meaningful timescale, radical new
        propulsion systems will be needed, incorporating nuclear mission, or
        matter/antimatter annihilation.

        Open Skies Closed Minds in Romania

        I am pleased to announce that my first book Open Skies Closed Minds is
        to be published in Romania. Open Skies Closed Minds is an overview of
        the UFO phenomenon, focusing on my running the UK Government UFO
        research and investigation project, at the Ministry of Defence. My
        books are available in America, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, and
        have previously been translated into various other languages,
        including German, Greek and Polish. On past form, English language UFO
        books being translated into other languages leads to greater liaison
        between researchers in different countries, and results in previously
        unreported cases being given greater prominence. My thanks go to the
        respected ufologist Ion Hobana for arranging this.

        Glastonbury Symposium 2003

        On 25, 26 and 27 July the Glastonbury Symposium 2003 takes place at
        The Town Hall, Glastonbury. Entitled Investigating Crop Circles and
        Signs of Our Times, the symposium features a host of well known names,
        including Maurice Cotterell, Ed Sherwood and Michael Glickman. The
        special Sunday night guest is Budd Hopkins. However, the focus will be
        on crop circles, and the event includes a coach tour of whatever
        formations are in the area at the time. The event is hosted by Andy
        Thomas and Karen Douglas, and details can be found at the
        [3]www.glastonburysymposium.co.uk website.

        The 2003 Crop Circle Convention

        If Glastonbury whets your appetite, then there is another three day
        crop circle conference on 8, 9 and 10 August, in the Cricklade Theatre
        in Andover, Hampshire. Invited speakers include Colin Andrews, Reg
        Presley, Philip Mantle, Lucy Pringle and Busty Taylor. I have no
        internet site details for this event, but further information can be
        obtained by telephoning 01392 677462 any evening. Bookings can be made
        by calling 01264 360063 during office hours.

        Ed's Note:

        Nick Pope has written four books. Open Skies, Closed Minds is an
        overview of the UFO phenomenon with the emphasis on his official
        Ministry of Defence research and investigation. The Uninvited is an
        overview of the alien abduction mystery. Operation Thunder Child and
        Operation Lightning Strike are science fiction novels about alien
        invasion, incorporating UFO and abduction data. All four titles are
        available from most good bookshops and all the usual Internet book
        sites.

        © Knight International 2003