UFO ROUNDUP, Volume 7 Number 49

  • John Hayes
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2002
      Posted on behalf of Joseph Trainor.

      <Masinaigan@...>
      ==========================

      UFO ROUNDUP
      Volume 7, Number 49
      December 3, 2002
      Editor: Joseph Trainor

      http://www.ufoinfo.com/roundup/

      NEW CATTLE MUTILATION
      IN NORTHERN ARGENTINA

      "In the El Oso wilderness of the department of
      Aguirre, a cow was found with mutilations of the head and
      genitalia. This event is quite similar to the discovery
      made in June of this year (2002) in the Quimilioj pasture
      16 kilometers (10 miles) south of Garza in the department
      of Moreno," near Santiago del Estero in northern
      Argentina.
      "The mutilated animal was discovered last Sunday
      (November 10, 2002) in a field 32 kilometers (20 miles)
      south of Malbrun and is the property of Oscar Suarez."
      "Suarez told (the newspaper) El Liberal: 'The cow
      was missing the hide off its maxillaries (jawbones), the
      tongue and left eye, one ear and four teats, but the
      remainder (of the animal--S.C.) was quite sound even
      though it had been dead for several days.'"
      "He likewise stated that no locals saw or heard
      anything unusual for several kilometers around. The
      owner is startled because 'it's odd that no carrion
      animals, no vultures or crows, have turned up, which they
      do whenever a carcass is present.'"
      "The cow's body was inside the El Oso ranch along an
      internal road that runs parallel to the barbed-wire
      fence. 'On Wednesday the (November) 6th, we let the
      animal out of its pen, and I found it on Sunday the
      (November) 10th. It had apparently been dead for some
      two days.'"
      "Another detail that drew Suarez's attention is that
      when he returned on Wednesday (November 13, 2002) to
      where the animal was found, it was still intact and had
      not yet decomposed in spite of the days elapsed and the
      intensely hot weather."
      (Editor's Note: Right now it's early summer In Argentina
      and the other countries of the southern hemisphere.)
      "'This is the first time something like it has
      happened in the region,'" Suarez said.
      "He dismissed the possibility that cattle rustlers
      could have been involved 'because when they are involved,
      they take the meat and all of the animal's useful organs
      for sale, but that didn't happen here since the cow was
      whole with all of its hide.'"
      "As a casual remark, Oscar Suarez related that a
      local advised him that this could be either the work of a
      Martian or the Devil, 'but locals saw nothing strange.'"
      (See the Argentinian newspaper El Liberal of Santiago del
      Estero for November 15, 2002. Muchas gracias a Scott
      Corrales y Gloria Coluchi para eso articulo de diario.)
      (Editor's Comment: Welcome to South America--Still a
      Target Week here at UFO Roundup. As with last week,
      alien activity remains at an all-time high on the big
      southern continent.)

      MORE UFO SIGHTINGS
      REPORTED IN CHILE

      On Thursday, November 21, 2002, "at 10 p.m., Luis
      Sepulveda Castro, a security guard at a corporate
      warehouse" in San Vicente de Tagua Tagua in Chile "left
      the building to look at the sky and was able to see a
      strange object moving in a northwest to southwest
      direction."
      "Using binoculars, he was able to make out the
      following details: (1) the object was spherical in shape
      with a red-colored base (lower hemisphere--J.T.) giving
      off intermittent green flashes from its upper section
      (upper hemisphere); and (2) the object moved very
      slowly."
      Sepulveda's "observation had a total duration of 45
      minutes."
      In the city of Angol, in southern Chile, yet another
      UFO sighting was reported. Angol has been the site of an
      ongoing UFO flap for the past two years.
      On Wednesday, September 18, 2002, "Juan Carlos
      Beltran Gonzalez, 37, was in the dining room at the
      Alberto Larraguibel Morales Sports Facility, having lunch
      with his friends, Cristian Aguilar Flores, 30, a
      traveling salesman, and Miguel Albaran Poblete, 22, a
      college student. Two unnamed security guards were also
      present."
      Suddenly, "the witnesses saw a luminous orange
      object in the sky from whose edges there emitted a ruby
      (red) light. The witnesses calculated that the object
      was flying over 1,500 meters (5,000 feet) in elevation
      (altitude--J.T.) and moved in a west to east direction,"
      heading for the Andes mountains.
      "The object remained suspended overhead until 2:30
      p.m., when it suddenly changed course toward the south.
      Then, abruptly, it changed course once more toward the
      northwest, forming a triangle (path) in the sky as it
      followed this route. The object gradually disintegrated
      as it vanished from sight." (Muchas gracias a Scott
      Corrales, Guillermo Aguilera y Raul Gajardo para esos
      informes.)

      SPHERICAL UFO SEEN IN
      CARACAS, VENEZUELA

      On Friday, November 23, 2002, "multiple observers
      spotted a UFO flying over Caracas," the capital of
      Venezuela.
      "According to the report, the sighting, which
      occurred on Friday night, November 23, 2002, involved
      witnesses in different parts of the city. They saw a
      spherical UFO approximately 40 meters (133 feet) in
      diameter."
      "One witness, Zuly Suju, said the UFO had rotating
      lights along its equator and temporarily hovered over
      their neighborhood before departing to the west." (See
      NotiOVNI for November 24, 2002. Muchas gracias a Martha
      Rosenthal y Daniel Munoz para eso informe.)

      NORAD SCRAMBLES F-16s
      TO INTERCEPT A UFO

      "The military command responsible for the defense of
      North American airspace scrambled fighter jets in
      response to unverified reports of an airborne
      condensation trail, or contrail, moving from the
      Caribbean (Sea) to the United States, defense officials
      said Thursday," November 28, 2002.
      "Lt. Col. Michael Humm, a Pentagon spokesman, said
      the incident happened Wednesday," November 27, 2002, "and
      the North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) in
      Colorado Springs, Colo. was continuing to investigate."
      "The reported contrail stirred concern that it could
      have indicated the presence of an unauthorized jet
      aircraft in or approaching American airspace. After the
      September 11 (2001) attacks, the Pentagon has taken
      greater precautions to monitor U.S. airspace."
      "A contrail is created by vapor from a jet engine in
      the presence of cold air."
      "The jets that were scrambled to attempt to
      intercept and identify the source of the contrail found
      nothing, said Lt. Cmdr. Curtis Jenkins, a NORAD
      spokesman. He said NORAD had developed no new
      information since the initial report at 3 p.m. Wednesday.
      NORAD is reviewing data from its tracking radars in
      search of evidence, he said."
      "A Pentagon statement said NORAD received unverified
      reports of 'what appeared to be a contrail of unknown
      origin,' originally in the vicinity of the Turks and
      Caicos Islands in the Caribbean."
      "'Initially, it was reported to be heading
      northwestward toward the United States,' the statement
      said. 'Commercial airline pilots later reported the
      contrail over Florida and later over Indiana.
      Thereafter, no other sightings were reported.'"
      "The reported contrail was never verified by visual
      or radar contact, the Pentagon statement said." (See the
      Duluth, Minn. News-Tribune for November 29, 2002,
      "Fighter jets scrambled to intercept reported contrail,
      but find nothing," page 6A.)

      HOVERING UFO SIGHTED
      IN THE UKRAINE

      On Monday, November 18, 2002, at about 6 a.m., "a
      bright object was noticed hovering stationary over the
      eastern part of the Crimean Autonomous Republic," in the
      southern Ukraine. The UFO was spotted east-southeast of
      Simferopol, a large city on the Black Sea peninsula
      called the Crimea.
      "The object was several times brighter than the
      planet Venus and was approximately 30 degrees above the
      horizon. At 6:10 a.m., it suddenly vanished, like an
      electrical lamp being switched off. The last detail
      clearly indicates that it was a UFO and not Venus just
      covered by cloud--the object died out very sharply, not
      gradually."
      Ukrainian ufologists believe that "alien activity
      could be present here (something like 'portals' used by
      UFOs detected above the Iograf Mountains north of Yalta
      and near Northern Demerdzhi Mountain--A.A.), as well as
      some kind of 'alien navigation beacon' very likely
      serving to indicate approaches to those portals."
      An area of interest to Ukrainian ufologists is the
      east slope of Mount Ayju-Dag in the Crimea, where just
      such an "alien beacon" is believed to be hidden. "I
      myself saw three strange dots of light on the eastern
      slope of Mount Ayju-Dag in 2001, and there are absolutely
      nothing like houses, frontier guard posts, etc. in the
      area," ufologist Anton A. Anfalov reported.
      Local scientists said the bright light was the star
      Sirius, but Anfalov pointed out that Sirius and planets
      such as Venus, Jupiter and Mars were all in other parts
      of the sky when the sighting occurred. (Many thanks to
      Anton A. Anfalov of Ukrainian UFO Research Association
      (UKUFAS) for this report.)

      UFOs CONTINUE ACTIVITY IN
      BRITISH COLUMBIA

      On Saturday, November 23, 2002, two separate
      witnesses "reported seeing some strange lights on Thron
      Hill mountain," just west of Terrace, British Columbia,
      Canada, which has been the site of numerous UFO sightings
      during 2002.
      "Five people witnessed the UFOs," ufologist Brian
      Vike reported, "The weather conditions were good--clear
      but rather windy. One of the witnesses said the object
      or light was approximately double the size of the planet
      Venus. White in color. All of the witnesses watched the
      light for approximately 10 to 15 seconds while it grew
      smaller in size and disappeared."
      Sightings have also been reported in remote regions
      outside the Telkwa River valley. On Tuesday, October 22,
      2002, at 10:25 p.m., two men were driving on a dirt road
      in Topley Landing, just south of Granisle, B.C. As they
      were driving along the beach at Babine Lake, they spotted
      a strange light a mile (1.6 kilometers) away, hovering
      over the old Bell Copper mine.
      The witnesses "observed a large, glowing, orange-
      gold, almost saucer-shaped object hovering right over the
      top of the old Bell Copper mine. At this point, they
      pulled over to have a look and try to figure out what
      they were seeing. As they watched the object hover, it
      would rise up very slowly and come to a complete stop,
      move sideways and then stop, and drop down roughly to the
      same height from the ground" where the witnesses had
      first seen it.
      "At one point, the light moved out over the lake and
      stopped for a few seconds, then went back over the mine
      once more."
      "They estimated that the UFO 'was about the size of
      the moon, maybe a hair smaller.' They said the ground
      area around the object was 'lit up for some distance.'
      Also, due to the brightness of the craft, it cast a
      reflection in the lake. The men watched the event for
      approximately seven minutes." (Many thanks to Canadian
      ufologist Brian Vike for these reports.)

      ORANGE UFO SIGHTED IN
      LEMOYNE, PENNSYLVANIA

      On Tuesday, November 19, 2002, at 7 p.m., eyewitness
      J.H. saw a strange light approaching from the east in
      Lemoyne, Pennsylvania (population 3,995), just west and
      across the Susquehanna River from Harrisburg, the state
      capital.
      "An orange light object similar to an aircraft
      approach light appeared and slowly moved in a
      southwesterly direction," he reported, "The object
      disappeared and then reappeared within about five
      seconds. The object then moved southward, and its
      altitude became lower. I lost track of the object behind
      some trees in the foreground. It had a white light and a
      blue light. The orange object finally seemed to drop
      behind the treeline and disappeared." (Email Form
      Report)

      TWO SAUCERS SEEN IN
      NORTH CAROLINA

      On Wednesday, November 13, 2002, at 7:30 p.m.,
      eyewitness A.T. saw two faintly luminous saucers hovering
      above her property in Smithfield, North Carolina
      (population 11,510), located on Interstate Highway I-40
      about 20 miles (32 kilometers) south of Raleigh.
      "It was in my backyard," she reported, "I had got up
      off my bed because I saw some lights in the sky. I
      thought that it was a plane. So I got up and saw two
      disk-shaped objects hovering in my backyard. They had
      different colored lights that wrapped around them. The
      colors were green, yellow, red, white and pink. Then
      they stayed there for awhile. And then they went to the
      right. They were going slow, then picked up speed. They
      were at eye level. They were really going slow, then
      slowly picked up speed." (Email Form Report)

      FAST-MOVING UFO SPOTTED
      IN OMAHA, NEBRASKA

      On Wednesday, November 27, 2002, at 11:20 p.m.,
      eyewitness A.W. and her brother were about to make a
      quick trip to the video store in Omaha, Nebraska
      (population 390,000) when she spotted something unusual
      in the sky.
      "I went out to my brother's car so we could drop off
      a movie at the video store," she reported, "And he was
      only heating up the car. So I just went to the end of
      the driveway. I just looked up and saw something moving
      extremely fast across the sky. It was very bright, like
      pure white, or maybe it only seemed that white because
      there are not many stars you can see from where I live."
      "It was very far away, farther away than planes, and
      I only saw it for a moment. Like, if I would have
      blinked, I would've missed it. It's hard to say how
      large it was. I didn't see anything but a bright light,
      like a comet. But it wasn't a comet because I've seen
      those before, and this was much different. It was
      bigger. It reminded me almost of a wide toothpick shape.
      And then it was just gone, as if nothing was ever there
      in the first place. Like I said before, it was going a
      whole lot faster than a jet would." (Email Form Report)

      FLURRY OF EARTHQUAKES
      HAS CALIFORNIA NERVOUS

      "The ground started shaking last Sunday morning,"
      November 24, 2002, beneath San Ramon, California
      (population 44,722) "about 35 miles (56 kilometers) east
      of San Francisco, but there was little concern. The
      quake measured 3.9 on the Richter scale and left barely a
      picture on the wall askew. People in California tend to
      save their worry for 'the big one'--something
      catastrophic, like the quake that destroyed much of San
      Francisco in 1906."
      "But when another small quake struck" in San Ramon
      "Sunday night (November 24), and another Monday morning
      (November 25), and another and another and another--by
      Friday (November 29, 2002) the United States Geological
      Survey had registered what it called a 'swarm' of more
      than 120 quakes--nervousness set in."
      "'Earthquakes are primal-fear things,' said
      Stephanie J. Hanna, the Geological Survey's
      communications chief for the Western (USA) region. 'They
      don't kill as many people as you think, but when terra
      firma isn't anymore, it scares people down to the deepest
      level.'"
      "Technically the San Ramon earthquakes are regarded
      as 'background seismicity' because they did not occur on
      a main fault. But San Ramon is not far from the
      Calaveras fault, one of three major faults in the San
      Francisco Bay area that scientists consider most likely
      to produce a big earthquake."
      "More significantly, the San Ramon quakes have
      happened on a small, previously unknown fault that
      crosses the Calaveras seven miles (11 kilometers) beneath
      the (Earth's) surface, potentially triggering quakes on
      the Calaveras as well."
      "'I grew up in San Ramon and normally you have an
      earthquake and it passes,' said Parshaw Vaziri, the
      outreach director at the Pacific Earthquake Engineering
      Research Center in Berkeley. 'To have it be repetitive
      for so many days has people thinking. There is a fear
      that this is going to lead to something bigger.'" (See
      the Duluth, Minn. News-Tribune for December 1, 2002,
      "Swarm of small quakes has California buzzing," page
      16A.)
      (Editor's Note: San Ramon is also the site of Mount
      Diablo, which is sacred to the indigenous peoples of the
      region. It's been the site of many Fortean events during
      the past two centuries.)

      READER FEEDBACK:

      LISA MEITNER WAS NEVER
      A NAZI SCIENTIST

      David Strassler writes, "Lisa Meitner, despite her
      contributions to nuclear theory, did not participate in
      the production of the atom bomb, neither did she believe
      her discoveries would have much use. The creation of the
      bomb took her by surprise. After the war, she denounced
      the use 'war technicians have put to our discoveries.'"
      "I wouldn't be writing you if not for your huge
      error of referring to her as a Nazi scientist. She was a
      Jew and in 1938 fled Germany to Sweden because of the
      antisemitic persecutions."

      From the UFO Files...

      1910: UFO VISITS A RANCH IN
      CRYSTAL CITY, TEXAS

      Although the USA's "Airship Flap" of 1909-1910 has
      been pretty well documented by Charles Fort, John A.
      Keel, Lucius Farrish and, for New England at least, by
      your UFO Roundup editor, there were a few other cases of
      the period that have since turned up. Such as the
      sighting in Crystal City, Texas.
      This event is notable not for its UFO but for what
      happened later on to one of its youthful witnesses.
      Today Crystal City (population 7,190) is a pleasant
      bedroom community just east of Highway 83, in Zavala
      County, about 40 miles (64 kilometers) south of Uvalde.
      But ninety years ago, Crystal City "was a raw frontier
      town in South Texas so desolate that the coyotes howled
      nightly at the city limits."
      Owning a small "brush country" ranch near Crystal
      City was a man named William Oscar McClung. He was a
      child of many ethnicities--Irish, German, Swedish on his
      father's side and Comanche (the real name for this
      indigenous people is Nermernuh--J.T.) and Osage on his
      mother's side. McClung lived on the ranch with his wife
      Willie and several children.
      In December 1910, the ranch was visited by Mrs.
      McClung's brother, Isaac, his wife Hester and their four-
      year-old son, Bobby. Isaac's nickname was "Uncle Cue,"
      short for "Mordecue," which is how the McClung children
      pronounced his middle name, Mordecai. Cue was a frontier
      doctor by trade, recently licensed by the Texas
      Department of Public Health, and he often dropped by the
      ranch for a visit.
      One night in mid-December 1910, Bobby was sound
      asleep with his cousins in the stucco-walled bedroom
      "when he was awakened by a tremendous detonation."
      Wide-eyed, he "found the whole room bathed in a weird
      light." Running to the window, he saw a luminous
      spherical object hovering in the air above his uncle's
      corral, where horses whinnied and cattle bellowed in
      terror.
      Frightened, Bobby ran into the kitchen. Hearing
      hard footsteps, he turned and saw his tall, black-haired
      father rush out of the guest bedroom. "What the hell is
      going on!?" the doctor shouted.
      Then he saw his Uncle Bill stride into the kitchen,
      a fearsome figure in his faded red union suit, battered
      Stetson, boots and gunbelt. Working the lever on his
      Winchester, he snapped, "Grab a gun, Cue. It's them no-
      account Bruntons, and they're a-fixin' to run us off."
      The doctor grabbed a double-barreled shotgun. "What
      did they do--dynamite the house!?"
      Taking up position beside the door, Uncle Bill
      pushed it open with the barrel of his Winchester. "We'll
      find out."
      Bobby watched as the door swung open, and a fading
      unearthly light spilled into the kitchen. And then it
      was gone. All that remained was the sound of frenzied
      animals out in the corral.
      While the women and children remained indoors, Bill
      and Cue, guns in hand, circled the house and then checked
      the barn. They found nothing amiss.
      "Hearing nothing further, they went back to bed."
      But they weren't the only ones who had seen
      something strange. People all over Zavala County had
      seen the glowing object.
      "The next day, eyewitnesses reported that a
      meteorite 'about the size of a barrel' had exploded and
      burned itself out in the earth's atmosphere.'"
      And so the incident in Crystal City was soon
      forgotten. But not by Bobby. Twenty-one years later, in
      1931, he wrote about it to his friend and fellow fantasy
      author, Howard Phillips Lovecraft.
      "Bobby" is better known by the name that appears on
      his by-line...Robert E. Howard, the creator of Conan the
      Barbarian. (See Dark Valley Destiny: The Life of Robert
      E. Howard by L. Sprague de Camp, Catherine Crook de Camp
      and Jane Whittington Griffin, Bluejay Books Inc., New
      York, N.Y., 1983, pages 59 and 60.)

      That's it for this week. Join us next time for more
      UFO, Fortean and paranormal news from around the planet
      Earth, brought to you by "the paper that goes home--UFO
      Roundup." See you then!

      UFO ROUNDUP: Copyright 2002 by Masinaigan Productions,
      all rights reserved. Readers may post news items from
      UFO Roundup on their websites or in news groups provided
      that they credit the newsletter and its editor by name
      and list the date of issue in which the item first
      appeared.

      or use the Sighting Report Form at:

      http://www.ufoinfo.com/forms/form_sighting.htm

      UFOINFO: http://www.ufoinfo.com

      Official Archives of UFO Roundup, AUFORN Australian
      UFO Reports and Experiences, UFO + PSI Magazine, plus
      archives of Filer's Files, Oz Files, UFO News UK and
      UFO Sightings Italia.