Fwd = Jonathan's Space Report, No. 491

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2002
      Originally from: owner-jsr@...
      Original Subject: Jonathan's Space Report, No. 491
      Original Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 07:14:38 -0500 (EST)

      Jonathan's Space Report
      No. 491 2002 Dec 2, Cambridge, MA

      Shuttle and Station
      --------------------

      Endeavour was launched at 0049 UTC on Nov 24 on Shuttle mission STS-113.
      I observed MECO with the naked eye from the roof of the Harvard
      Observatory as the Orbiter and ET arced over the Boston skyline.
      STS-113 delivered the Expedition 6 crew and the P1 truss segment
      to the International Space Station. Two Endeavour astronauts,
      Mike Lopez-Alegria and John Herrington, carried out three spacewalks
      from the Station's Quest airlock module.

      The SRBs separated 2 min after launch. The OMS engines fired in the
      now-standard OMS assist burn during the early part of the ascent; a
      valve in the right OMS engine did not completely open during the burn,
      and it was decided to use only the left OMS engine for later burns. The
      main engines cut off 8 min after launch at 0058 UTC and the ET
      separated, with both ET and orbiter in a 59 x 232 km x 51.6 deg orbit.
      At 0127 UTC the ET and Endeavour reached apogee and Endeavour fired the
      left OMS engine for 5 minutes to raise its perigee. The ET fell back
      down for reentry over the Pacific.

      Endeavour docked with the International Space Station on Nov 25 at 2159
      UTC. The Orbiter RMS grappled the P1 truss in its cargo bay at 1501 UTC
      on Nov 26 and unberthed it at 1522 UTC. The Station SSRMS grappled P1 at
      1641 UTC and the Orbiter RMS released it at 1650 UTC, completing the
      first robot arm handover of a station segment. The SSRMS moved P1 to
      the end of the S0 truss and connected it between 1836 and 1848 UTC.
      Lopez-Alegria and Herrington made the first spacewalk on Nov 26 from the
      Quest airlock. Depressurization was around 1945 UTC, with hatch open at
      1947 UTC and egress of Lopez-Alegria at 2000 UTC, with Herrington
      following a few minutes later. The astronauts attached the P1/S0
      umbilicals, removed the P1 drag links and the CETA-B cart's launch
      restraints. They also installed more SPD disconnects on the ammonia
      lines, and attached a TV camera to the truss. The astronauts reentered
      the airlock between 0206 and 0216 UTC on Nov 27 and closed the hatch at
      0229 UTC. Repressurization was at 0235 UTC for a duration of 6h50m
      (depress/repress), 6h42m (hatch open/close), or 6h45m (by NASA rules).

      EVA-2 began on Nov 28 with depressurization at about 1831 UTC and hatch
      open around 1833 UTC. The astronauts went to EMU battery power at 1836
      UTC and emerged from Quest at about 1845 UTC. They removed P1 keel pins
      and installed TV cameras, and moved the CETA-2 cart from P1 to S1. Hatch
      was closed at 0041 UTC with repress at 0046 UTC for a duration of about
      6h15m (depress/repress), 6h08m (hatch open/close) or 6h10m (NASA rules).

      On Nov 30 the Mobile Transporter was moved from worksite 4 on S0 to
      worksite 7 at the end of P1. Motion began at 1621 UTC but the MT got
      stuck a few meters short of its goal, foiling plans to use it as a base
      for the SSRMS arm during the spacewalk. EVA-3 began with
      depressurization at 1921 UTC and hatch open at 1924 UTC. The astronauts
      went to battery power at 1925 UTC. Herrington deployed the P1 UHF
      antenna which was blocking the MT's path and the MT finally reached its
      destination at 0011 UTC. The astronauts returned to Quest at 0215 UTC,
      closing the hatch at 0222 UTC and beginning repressurization at 0225 UTC
      for a duration of 7h04m (depress/repress), 6h58m (hatch open/close), or
      7h00m (NASA rules). During the spacewalk, the astronauts installed more
      fixes to the Station's ammonia line connectors.

      Recent Launches
      ---------------

      The Astra 1K satellite was launched on an International Launch
      Services/Krunichev Proton-K with an Energiya Blok DM3 upper stage on Nov
      25. The Proton-K entered a -744 x 183 km x 51.6 deg suborbital
      trajectory and separated from the DM3. The DM3 made an orbit insertion
      burn to reach a 175 km circular orbit at 2321 UTC. A further two burns
      were planned, but the Blok DM3 failed to reignite and Astra 1K was
      stranded in the parking orbit.

      USAF Space Command/US Strategic Command is reporting two objects in low
      orbit, which it is calling "Astra 1K" and "Block DM-SL R/B". In fact,
      the upper stage is not a Block DM-SL (Sea Launch variant), it is a Block
      DM-2M in its commercial DM3 variant. Based on the Space Command data,
      Astra 1K maneuvered from a 156 x 171 km orbit to a 146 x 299 km orbit at
      about 2200 UTC on Nov 26 (according to analysis by B. Gimle); then
      another orbit raise to 218 x 307 km. A further burn at 1332 UTC on Nov
      27 put it in a 217 x 362 km orbit, and by Dec 1 the orbit was 257 x 308
      km. This will keep the satellite in orbit for a few more days while its
      owners develop a plan to use onboard propulsion to deorbit the satellite
      in a safe way over an empty bit of ocean. The 2500 kg Blok DM reentered
      over the Washington/Oregon area at 1415 UTC on Nov 28; its fuel was
      vented on the day of launch.

      Astra 1K is an Alcatel Spacebus 3000B3S satellite (SB4000 bus but with
      older SB 3000B3 avionics). Launch mass was 5250 kg; it has 52 Ku-band
      and 2 Ka-band channels. The craft uses an Astrium S400 liquid apogee
      engine. Astra 1K was to replace Astra 1B, and provide extra capacity for
      eastern Europe. It also carries Ka-band capacity to back up Astra 1H.
      The Ku-band 10.7-11.7 GHz payload provides pan-European coverage. Beams
      were designed to cover UK/Ireland, continental Europe, and European
      CIS. The Astra satellites are operated by SES, based in Luxembourg.

      Three small payloads, AlSAT-1, Mozhaets, and Rubin-3-DSI, were launched
      at 0607 UTC on Nov 28 by a Kosmos-3M rocket from pad 132/1 at
      Plesetsk. They were placed in a northbound marginally suborbital
      transfer trajectory of about -60 x 805 km x 98 deg at 0614 UTC and then
      coasted up to about 700 km where the Kosmos-3M second stage reignited to
      circularize the orbit at 681 x 742 km x 98.2 deg. The AlSAT-1 and
      Mozhaets satellites separated from the second stage at 0641 UTC;
      Rubin-3-DSI remains attached to the second stage. This is the second
      sun-synchronous launch by the Kosmos-3M. According to M. Meerman of
      SSTL, the trajectory involves a dog-leg to avoid flying towards Alaska
      while still using their standard first stage drop zone, and an earlier
      than usual fairing separation which causes higher heating loads than a
      normal launch.

      AlSAT-1 is a 90 kg Earth observation satellite built by Surrey
      Satellite for the CNTS (Centre National des Techniques Spatiales) in
      Algiers. It is the first satellite in an international Disaster
      Monitoring Constellation which will provide space imaging support to
      disaster relief agencies. It carries a 32-m resolution 3-band imager,
      a 100 mN resistojet thruster for small orbit corrections, and a GPS
      receiver. The SSTL Microsat-100 class satellite is a 0.60m cube
      with a 6m gravity gradient boom. As well as gravity gradient
      stabilization, it uses a momentum wheel to improve stability for
      imaging.

      The 64 kg Mozhaets, a successor to the Zeya and Radio-ROSTO satellites,
      is built by NPO Prikladnoi Mekhaniki of Zheleznogorsk with a payload
      developed by students of the Mozhaisky military academy in
      Sankt-Peterburg. It may be based on the Strela-1M small communications
      satellite bus. It includes a GLONASS/GPS receiver, a particle detector,
      and an amateur radio payload. Rubin-3-DSI, with a mass of 45 kg, was
      built by PO Polyot of Omsk (builders of the Kosmos-3M) and OHB System of
      Bremen. It measures the launch vehicle environment and performance (Some
      of this information was taken from the web site
      www.cosmoworld.ru/spaceencyclopedia/hotnews; thanks to Audrey Nice of
      SSTL for info on AlSAT).

      Table of Recent Launches
      -----------------------

      Date UT Name Launch Vehicle Site Mission INTL.
      DES.

      Oct 7 1946 Atlantis ) Shuttle Kennedy LC39B Spaceship
      47A
      S1 ) Station module
      Oct 15 1820 Foton-M Soyuz-U Plesetsk LC43/3 Micrograv
      F02
      Oct 17 0441 Integral Proton-K Baykonur LC81/23 Astronomy
      48A
      Oct 27 0317 ZY-2 CZ-4B Taiyuan Imaging
      49A
      Oct 30 0311 Soyuz TMA-1 Soyuz-FG Baykonur LC1 Spaceship
      50A
      Nov 20 2239 Eutelsat W5 Delta 4M+(4,2) Canaveral SLC37B Comms
      51A
      Nov 24 0049 Endeavour ) Shuttle Kennedy LC39A Spaceship
      52A
      P1 ) Station module
      Nov 25 2304 Astra 1K Proton-K Baykonur LC81/23 Comms
      53A
      Nov 28 0607 AlSAT-1 ) Kosmos-3M Plesetsk LC132/1 Imaging
      54A
      Mozhaets ) Technology
      54B
      Rubin-3-DSI ) Technology
      54C

      Current Shuttle Processing Status
      _________________________________

      Orbiters Location Mission Launch Due

      OV-102 Columbia OPF STS-107 2003 Jan 16 Spacehab
      OV-103 Discovery OPF Maintenance
      OV-104 Atlantis OPF STS-114 2003 Mar 1 ISS ULF1
      OV-105 Endeavour LEO/ISS STS-113 2002 Nov 24 ISS 11A

      .-------------------------------------------------------------------------.
      | Jonathan McDowell | phone : (617) 495-7176 |
      | Harvard-Smithsonian Center for | |

      | Astrophysics | |
      | 60 Garden St, MS6 | |
      | Cambridge MA 02138 | inter : jcm@... |