Fwd = Canadian Scientists Use Video In Search For Rare Meteorite

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2002
      Originally from: NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory <info@...>
      Original Subject: Canadian Scientists Use Video In Search For Rare Meteorite
      Original Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 21:14:04 -0600

      http://www.expressnews.ualberta.ca/expressnews/articles/news.cfm?p_ID=3443&s=e

      Scientists use video in search for rare meteorite
      By Phoebe Dey
      University of Alberta, Canada
      November 28, 2002

      A University of Alberta astronomy camera captured a
      photograph of a blazing fireball, which may provide clues to finding a rare
      meteorite.

      "If we could find the remains of the meteorite, it would be quite
      significant, not simply because it's another meteorite but because we would
      have the potential for determining its trajectory before it struck the
      earth," said U of A physics professor, Dr. Doug Hube. "We might be able to
      learn where in the solar system it came from."

      The camera on the rooftop observatory on the U of A physics building
      captured the image moving from the southwest horizon to the northwest for
      about seven seconds at 5:10 a.m. early Wednesday morning. Hube and Martin
      Connors from Athabasca University are analysing the tape and using
      eyewitness reports to do a geometric triangulation, which will determine a
      more specific area to find the meteorite.

      Videotape from the U of A's cameras is considered the final authority. The
      cameras record images of the sky 24 hours a day. About once a year, the
      cameras capture something worth following up, Hube said. The camera is
      mounted above a hemispherical mirror, which allows researchers to monitor
      the entire sky at one time.

      If this latest meteorite can be found, it will offer insight to its
      celestial beginnings and teach us more about the larger environment we live
      in.

      "Meteorites are the building blocks of the planets," Hube said. "They can
      give us clues about circumstances in this corner of the universe 4.5 billion
      years ago. Understanding them gives us a broader picture to understand the
      formation of the solar system, to understand the formation of planets."

      The University of Alberta's Earth and Atmospheric Sciences department boasts
      a meteorite collection second only to the national one in Ottawa. It is
      comprised of more than 130 different meteorites--13 of which were found in
      Alberta. Only 50 meteorites have been found in Canada.