Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Hickson-Parker Abduction Revisited

Expand Messages
  • visions
    Hi All I think we should be encouraged that at least some of the provincial press can report UFO incidents fairly. This famous abduction is recalled - click on
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31 9:25 AM
    • 0 Attachment
      Hi All
      I think we should be encouraged that at least some of the provincial press can report UFO incidents fairly.
      This famous abduction is recalled - click on the website for the pictures too - by this Mississippi newspaper, point by point, without the usual mockery.
      An email or two congratulating the newspaper and the reporter might not go amiss.


      Source: The Clarion-Ledger - Jackson Mississippi


      Photos at the website.


      October 30, 2002

      Strange lights in the Gulf Coast sky

      An Abductee's Story

      By Billy Watkins


      GAUTIER - Charles Hickson has no proof.

      No photograph he can pull from his wallet, no papers certifying
      his story.

      Just his word that 29 years ago this month he and a fishing
      buddy were abducted by a UFO, examined by a machine resembling a
      giant eyeball, then released physically unharmed.

      He has told his story under hypnosis, told it to Johnny Carson
      on national TV.

      Recently, while sipping coffee in his modest home in Gautier, he
      told the story to a Clarion-Ledger reporter.

      His account of that night never changes. He has passed numerous
      lie- detector tests.

      What Hickson hasn't talked about publicly, until now, is that he
      believes whatever - or whoever - was on that craft has kept
      track of him.

      "I think they know where I am at all times," he says. "Too many
      strange things have happened."

      Hickson, a retired shipyard foreman with five children and a no-
      nonsense demeanor, is 71 and spends most of his time caring for
      Blanche, his wife of 48 years who suffers from rheumatoid
      arthritis. He is fighting health problems of his own, including
      clogged arteries in his neck.

      Hickson says he is a God-fearing man who "believes Jesus Christ
      died for my sins."

      Whether people believe his UFO story doesn't seem to be a big
      deal to him. "If you were in my place right now, I'm not sure
      I'd believe you or not," he said.

      But others saw something that night, too.

      Several people later reported strange lights in the Gulf Coast
      sky just after sunset on Oct. 11, 1973 - about the time Hickson
      and then 19-year- old Calvin Parker say they were abducted.

      Mike Cataldo, a retired Navy chief petty officer now living in
      Rotonda West, Fla., says he saw "a very strange object on the
      horizon" late that afternoon while driving on U.S. 90, between
      Pascagoula and Ocean Springs.

      "Puddin' Broadus, a Pascagoula detective back then, told me he
      saw something streak through the air," says Glenn Ryder, a
      former captain with the Jackson County Sheriff's department who
      was the first to interrogate Hickson and Parker. "Puddin's dead
      now, but he was a fine man. He wouldn't make up something like

      "A guard at Ingalls (Shipbuilding) saw it. Another guy was in
      his back yard and said he saw something streak above his house.

      "When we studied it, all those reportings were in a straight
      line. And I'll tell you this: After talking with (Hickson and
      Parker) that night, I'm convinced they had some kind of
      experience. I don't know exactly what, but something happened to
      them. They were both shook up, especially that boy."

      Parker, now 48, has avoided the media in recent years.

      "This thing really messed Calvin up," Hickson says. "He was so
      young ... he just couldn't handle it."

      In a 1993 interview with The Commercial Appeal in Memphis,
      Parker said he was convinced it was demons, sent directly from
      Satan, who visited them that night.

      Beverly Parker, Calvin's stepmother who lives with his father in
      Kiln, says they haven't heard from him "in a couple of months."
      Last she knew, Calvin was working construction in North Carolina
      and "doing pretty good."

      The UFO incident is "something he won't talk about anymore," she

      . . .

      It is late on a Saturday night, and Blanche Hickson has gone to
      bed. The house is quiet and dark, except for a single lamp
      softly illuminating the den.

      "I don't mind talking about it," Charles Hickson says, settling
      his 5- foot-8, 172- pound body into an easy chair. "I don't seek
      folks out to tell it, but it's something I feel like people
      deserve to know if they ask."

      Hickson begins his story:

      "Calvin was working for me at Walker's Shipyard, and doing a
      dadgum good job. Calvin and his brother had sorta grown up with
      my oldest boy, Eddie. Some evenings after work, we'd go fishing.

      "We got off about 4 o'clock that day and came by my house to get
      the fishing tackle, then we went and got some shrimp for bait.
      We tried several places and hadn't caught anything. I said,
      'Calvin, there's one more place I want to try. If they don't
      bite there, we'll give it up and go on home.'

      "So we went down toward Ingalls and started fishing off a pier.
      We sat there for a while, and I finally got a bite. I was
      reeling in and started hearing this hissing sound. Like steam
      coming out of a pipe.

      "I looked around, and it just startled me. Something was
      hovering two or three feet above the ground, probably no more
      than 10 or 15 yards from us. There were two blue flashing lights
      on the top part of the end that was toward us. I couldn't tell
      if it was round or oblong. I could see a little dome on top, but
      I couldn't see all the way around the thing so I couldn't tell
      for sure how big it was.

      "I jumped to my feet, looked over at Calvin, and he looked plumb
      strange. Then a door opened and this brilliant light came out of
      it. I couldn't figure what in the world was happening. I've
      known fear. I fought 20 months in hand-to-hand combat in Korea.
      The only thing I'm scared of is a snake. I'll run from a snake.
      But this wasn't normal.

      "All of a sudden, these three things began coming out of that
      door. They looked like they had elephant skin. Wrinkled. Real
      wrinkled. And triangle shaped ears that had to be some sort of

      "These things were robots. They seemed to come right out of that
      beam of light. They never touched the ground. They moved right
      out there beside me and Calvin. I couldn't move, and neither
      could he. Two of 'em came around behind me, took me under each
      arm. When they grabbed me, I seemed to rise to their height.
      They weren't as tall as me, but they sorta had me in a leaning

      "One took hold of Calvin, and I saw him go limp. He told me
      later that he fainted. They took us through that doorway, in the
      middle of a room, and I couldn't see Calvin anymore. There was
      nothing in there ... just a real bright glow. I couldn't move
      anything but my eyes.

      "They let go of me. I still wasn't touching nothing, just kinda
      floating. All I could think was, 'What are they gonna do with
      us?' I figured they'd take us off, and we'd never see our
      families again.

      "I didn't see (the robots) for a while. Then an eyeball, about
      the size of a football, came out of the wall. It moved right in
      front of my face. I saw dials and gadgets moving around. It went
      behind me, then came back over me. Then it disappeared back into
      the wall.

      "I was just about out of my mind. I thought they were gonna kill
      me. Folks would think we fell off in the river and drowned, and
      nobody would ever know about this.

      "It seemed like a long time, but it couldn't have been more than
      a few minutes. (The robots) came and carried me back outside.
      They didn't throw me down, they eased me down. And when they
      did, I fell to the ground. My legs were real weak.

      "I saw Calvin standing there, staring out at the water. He was
      in shock. I've seen men in shock, and if you don't do something
      pretty quick, they'll die. I started going over to where he was,
      and I saw the craft leave. The blue lights were on again, I
      remember that.

      "When I got to Calvin, I had to slap him a time or two. I
      finally got him to where he could say something. He said,
      'Charlie, what in the world was that?' I said 'Son, I don't
      know. But they didn't kill us.' "

      . . .

      As they drove away in Parker's Plymouth, Hickson and Parker
      agreed not to tell anyone about the incident.

      "I knew people would call us crazy and everything else," Hickson
      says. "But I thought about it some more and said, 'What if it's
      a threat to our country?' That's when I decided to call Keesler
      (Air Force Base in Biloxi)."

      The person who answered the phone at Keesler said they didn't
      investigate UFOs and suggested Hickson call the sheriff's

      That's when Hickson spoke with Glenn Ryder from a convenience
      store pay phone.

      "He said, 'I want to tell you something, but you've got to
      promise not to laugh,' " recalls Ryder, now 63 and retired. "I
      was about to get off work, so it kinda aggravated me. I said,
      'If you want to tell me something, then tell me.' He asked me
      again to promise not to laugh, so I promised.

      "He said, 'I just got picked up by a UFO.' And, of course, I
      busted out laughing. He got real upset, so I apologized and told
      him to go ahead with his story. I could tell he was serious."

      Ryder convinced Hickson and Parker to drive to the sheriff's
      office. He called Jackson County sheriff Fred Diamond, now
      deceased, to join him for the questioning.

      Ryder remembers: "When they walked in, Charlie said, 'I just
      want to tell you up front, I've had a drink. I had to do
      something to try and settle my nerves.'

      "The young boy was real fidgety. He was about to crawl the

      Hickson and Parker told the officers what had happened. Ryder
      says it was a struggle to keep a straight face.

      Then he and Diamond plotted to find out the truth. "We kept a
      tape recorder in the top drawer of the desk," Ryder says. "It
      was a small office, so it would pick up everything said in
      there. We let them go to the bathroom and decided to turn the
      recorder on, then leave them alone for a while.

      "We did that, and when we listened to the tape later, we
      expected to hear them saying, 'Boy, we sure fooled them' or
      something like that."

      But they didn't. Here is the transcript from the hidden

      Parker: "I got to get home and get to bed or get some nerve
      pills or see the doctor or something. I can't stand it. I'm
      about to go half crazy."

      Hickson: "I tell you, when we're through, I'll get you something
      to settle you down so you can get some damn sleep."

      Parker: "I can't sleep yet like it is. I'm just damn near

      Hickson: "Calvin, when they brought you out - when they brought
      me out of that thing - (expletive) I like to never in hell got
      you straightened out."

      Parker: "My damn arms, my arms. I remember they just froze up
      and I couldn't move. Just like I stepped on a damn rattlesnake."

      Hickson: "They didn't do me that way."

      Parker: "I passed out. I expect I never passed out in my whole

      Hickson: "I've never seen nothing like that before in my life.
      You can't make people believe ..."

      Parker: "I don't want to keep sitting here. I want to see a

      Hickson: "They better wake up and start believing."

      Parker: "You see how that damn door come right up?"

      Hickson: "I don't know how it opened, son. I don't know."

      Parker: "I just laid up, and just like that, those (expletive)
      come out."

      Hickson: "I know. You can't believe it. You can't make people
      believe it."

      Parker: "I paralyzed right then. I couldn't move."

      Hickson: "They won't believe it. They gonna believe it one of
      these days. Might be too late. I knew all along they was people
      from other worlds up there. I knew all along. I never thought it
      would happen to me."

      Parker: "You know yourself I don't drink."

      Hickson: "I know that, son. When I get to the house, I'm gonna
      get me another drink, make me sleep. Look, what we sitting
      around for? I got to go tell Blanche ... what we waiting for?"

      Parker: "I gotta go to the house. I'm getting sick. I gotta get
      out of here."

      Hickson leaves the room, and Parker is left alone.

      Parker: "It's hard to believe ... Oh, God, it's awful. I know
      there's a God up there."

      Parker begins to pray. His words become inaudible.

      . . .

      Hickson and Diamond agreed to keep the story quiet.

      When he got home, Hickson told his wife what had happened and
      where he had been.

      "I was like everybody else ... I had a hard time believing it,"
      Blanche Hickson says. "But three or four hours later, I knew
      something was wrong. I was up all night, wiping sweat off of
      him. He'd jump straight up in the bed. He was scared to death."

      Hickson went to work the next morning. "I had to get my men
      going," he says. "But as soon as I got back to my office, the
      phone rang. It was a reporter from Jackson, asking what had
      happened the night before. I just slung the phone down."

      Diamond called minutes later. He said word had leaked out and
      that his office was flooded with reporters.

      "He asked me to come over and talk to them, and I told him I
      wasn't going no damn where," Hickson says.

      Hickson took off work for two weeks, hoping things would die
      down. They didn't.

      Officials at Keesler interviewed him and Parker. Reporters and
      astronomers were coming to Hickson's house, begging for details.

      "It got to the point where I was like, 'They know about it. I
      might as well tell them what happened.' And I told Calvin that,"
      he says.

      Hickson and Parker were all over the national news and made the
      talk-show circuit: The Dick Cavett Show, The Mike Douglas Show,
      The Tonight Show.

      Something surprised Hickson: "Nobody was laughing at us, at
      least not to our face. I never took any ridicule. My children at
      school never took any ridicule. It surprised me."

      Hickson became friends with Allen Hynek, an astronomer at
      Northwestern University and one of the world's leading UFO
      investigators at the time. Hynek is now deceased.

      "He convinced me to undergo hypnosis," Hickson says. "I wasn't
      sure about it at first, but I did it several times."

      His story was basically the same during each session.

      "But under deep hypnosis once, I discovered something that still
      gives me chills," Hickson says. "There were people on that
      spaceship - living beings in another compartment. They never
      came in there where we were. And I'm telling you, they looked
      almost like us.

      "Only thing I can figure is that they couldn't live in our
      atmosphere, so they let the robots come out there and carry us

      . . .

      The Pascagoula incident was not the first - nor the last -
      reported abduction. The first documented case involved Barney
      and Betty Hill, who said they were taken aboard an alien craft
      in 1961 while driving in New Hampshire.

      Hickson visited Betty Hill in Boston a few months after his
      encounter. "Her husband had died, but she wanted to try and find
      out if it could've been the same craft," he says. "From what she
      described to me, I told her I didn't think so."

      Peter Davenport, director of the National UFO Reporting Center
      in Seattle, has studied both cases extensively.

      "It was the Pascagoula case that played a crucial role in
      convincing my predecessor (Robert J. Gribble) to set up this
      center," says Davenport, a graduate of Stanford University with
      degrees in Russian and biology.

      "He said cases like Mr. Hickson's and Mr. Parker's made him
      realize the need for a centralized place where people could call
      and report things they had seen."

      More than 2,400 sightings have been reported to the center this
      year - the latest by a TV news photographer in Albany, N.Y.,
      last week.

      Davenport realizes many people believe UFOs are about as real as
      the Tooth Fairy.

      He is not one of them. When he was 6, Davenport witnessed a
      bright red object, the size of a full moon, hovering like a
      traffic signal in the night sky above a drive-in theater in St.
      Louis. "People were getting out of their cars and pointing and
      actually running toward it," he says. "In a matter of seconds,
      it accelerated and was gone over the horizon.

      "My father had seen it with binoculars from the airport tower
      where he worked. I always thought it was strange he didn't care
      to talk about it."

      Davenport can cite numerous inexplicable cases, including the
      Phoenix Lights of 1997. "Tens of thousands of people witnessed
      objects acting in an utterly bizarre fashion over Arizona," he
      says. "The objects hovered, then flew at supersonic speed
      through the air space of at least three major airports."

      He says five years ago, "prestigious people" with the U.S.
      government requested a meeting with him in Washington.

      "They asked not to be identified," Davenport says, "and they
      were 32 minutes late to the meeting. But when they got there,
      they said, 'As a courtesy to you, we'd first like to tell you
      our position on UFOs. One, we know they're real. Two, they
      appear to be sophisticated crafts under intelligent control.
      And, three, we're worried about them.'

      "That confirmed everything I had suspected up to that time. I
      don't think I'm crazy. I don't think I'm dumb. And I believe the
      UFO phenomenon is real."

      So does John Podesta, President Clinton's former White House
      chief of staff. Just last week, Podesta said he will be leading
      a group to gain access to secret governmental records about

      "It's time to provide scientists with data that will assist in
      determining the real nature of this phenomenon," he said.

      . . .

      On Mother's Day, May 1974, Hickson was riding back from a family
      get- together in Jones County with his wife, their youngest son
      (Curtis), their daughter (Sheila) and the man she was married to
      at the time.

      "It was almost midnight," Hickson says, "and I kept noticing a
      light back behind us. I nudged Sheila, who was sitting on the
      front seat beside me, and said, 'Look out that window and see if
      that light ain't following us.'

      "She looked out the window and just froze. Blanche saw it and
      started screaming."

      Seconds later, a saucershaped craft was hovering 150 feet above,
      and to the right, of their car.

      "I saw it with my own eyes," says Sheila Hynum of Vicksburg, who
      was 18 at the time. "Mama was so scared, she was screaming."

      "It was a terrifying thing to see," Blanche Hickson says. "It
      affected me bad. Tore me up. We stopped the car and Charles
      wanted to get out, but I wouldn't let him. We were all grabbing
      him and holding him.

      "It hovered there a while, then just disappeared."

      Charles Hickson, whose 1983 book UFO: Contact at Pascagoula will
      be re- issued in November, says that wasn't the first sighting
      he'd had since the initial encounter.

      While squirrel hunting in February 1974, he knelt down beside a
      tree to eat a sandwich. Through the brush, he says, part of a
      craft was visible. Suddenly, he heard a voice.

      "It was like a radio signal or something inside my head," he
      says. "They said, 'Tell people we mean you no harm. You have
      endured. You have been chosen. There is no need for fear. Your
      world needs help. We will help before it is too late. You are
      not prepared to understand. We will return again soon.'

      "I picked up my gun and came straight home."

      The same voice, with the same message, came to him again a month
      later in his back yard. Since then, he says, all the fear has
      left him.

      "I want to go to that world - wherever it is they came from," he
      says. "I don't think they'd carry me if they couldn't bring me
      back. And if they ever decide to destroy this world, they might
      save a few of the people. I'd like to think I'd be one of

      Well past midnight now, Hickson gets up from his chair, leaves
      the den, and returns with a large brown envelope. He pulls out
      several X-rays and shows them to the visiting reporter.

      "See that little mole-looking thing behind my (right) eye?" he
      says, holding the image over the lamp. "I think they implanted
      something in there. I've been to the VA hospital in New Orleans
      twice. Been to a cancer doctor at Tulane University. Nobody can
      figure out what it is.

      "Me, I think it's maybe how they keep track of me. It doesn't
      hurt. Doesn't affect my vision. It just showed up when they were
      taking pictures of the arteries in my neck.

      "Strange, ain't it?"


      Copyright © 2001, The Clarion-Ledger.

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.