Fwd = [SO] A New Model for UFO Groups

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 31, 2002
      Originally from: Skyopen@yahoogroups.com
      Original Subject: [SO] Digest Number 1148
      Original Date: 31 Oct 2002 10:03:54 -0000

      Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 10:27:38 -0800
      From: "Bill Hamilton" <skywatcher22@...>
      Subject: A New Model for UFO Groups

      A New Model for UFO Groups

      The best known UFO groups are MUFON-affiliated groups. There have been
      several attempts over the past 5 years to initiate Skywatch groups to no
      avail and Skywatch International has mainly remained a network.

      Most MUFON groups have monthly meetings, inviting some experiencer,
      researcher, or author to speak to their local membership. This has helped
      keep the public interested and informed, but has hardly advanced our purpose
      which is to study the UFO phenomena and learn more about it. To do so takes
      a host of disciplines and experts from every walk of life. We believe that
      it should be a scientific enterprise and follow some of the same guidelines
      and standards as any other scientific research program. This has hardly
      happened and only a few scientifically-trained Ufologists have carried most
      of the burden of research and investigation. Facts are few while theories
      and opinions abound.

      There are many facets to modern UFO research. It is not as simple as
      interviewing witnesses of sightings of UFOs. There are many branches on the
      UFO tree and many take one preferred branch while some try to embrace the
      whole tree.

      The real problem is too much socializing and a lack of participation and
      organization in developing a core research program. UFO research may have
      outgrown the day of the lone field investigator interviewing a witness. We
      need more than just monthly meetings or internet messages flying back and
      forth.

      We need to get organized. We need to get trained. We need to get
      professional. We need a new approach, a pro-active approach. Of course,
      this means devoting precious time for little or no reward to help advance
      our knowledge and it promises bigger returns than just finding out UFO
      shapes or behavior. We all sense that there is something very BIG behind
      all this and some of us are driven to find out what that is and how it fits
      in with all of our other studies of the universe.

      I can only propose an elementary outline here of what I imagine to be a new
      approach for all UFO groups who seriously want to find answers to the UFO
      question and develop this in proportion to the feedback I receive.

      First, members should be recruited to take on positions of responsibility.
      No member should just be a member of a UFO group, but an active member with
      something to do.

      Next, members should attend classes on the UFO subject given by those who
      have already demonstrated competence. Next, teams should be formed and new
      members assigned to teams. For example, members trained in computer
      programming can become members of the Database Team and add and maintain
      records on UFO events. They can also use software that will help analyze
      photos and videos. Another team could be designated a Skywatch Team charged
      with going to UFO hotspots or good sky watching locations and recording UFO
      evidence. There could be a UFO Forensics team who will analyze samples and
      specimens gathered from various sources. Each team will follow a set of
      protocols and file reports. The idea is to organize the activity and
      contribute to an accumulation of data and analysis that will lead to the
      developments of hypotheses and the writing of research proposals that will
      contribute to the bettering of our general knowledge.

      The UFO topic is usually framed as a 'problem' or question in need of an
      answer. The topic statement will invite your reader to ask why it is
      significant and 'worth doing'. A good research proposal identifies in the
      research topic a 'problem' to be investigated.

      Your proposal needs to show how the proposed research relates to a body of
      related studies, or literature. The orthodox way to do this is to write a
      brief version of the literature review on a traditional science model. This
      is not always possible, especially if there is little related past research..

      Now, we can imagine a UFO group as a beehive of activity with most of the
      active members engaged in UFO investigation, research, or even attempts at
      sending, receiving, and recording signals from UFOs.

      A study of how other scientific groups conduct their research will be of
      benefit to this effort.

      Then, what about all those meetings we love so much where we can hob-nob
      with the poor and famous and meet with our friends to hear juicy tales of
      extraterrestrial abductions? They have their place, but imagine conducting
      a public meeting where a celebrity speaker is brought in to give a
      presentation and alternate this where group team leaders give a public
      presentation.

      Each group should have a journal to report its findings to the public.

      Each group can even have teams that work on government disclosure.

      The idea is: why wait for the flying saucers to land and leave permanent
      marks on the ground? Why not take action just as the amateur astronomers
      are out there looking for that next comet to be named after them, we should
      have teams sky watching around the clock and rapid deployment skywatch
      networks so that teams can verify a sighting during its occurrence or
      shortly after.

      I like to socialize just like anyone, but that doesnÂ’t get the job done.
      Every member of a group needs to become a UFO expert. They need to read the
      literature and study the subject and even attend training classes and take
      quizzes! It demands a lot from a person, but with everyone on board helping
      it could make the job easier.

      Sincerely,

      Bill Hamilton
      Executive Director
      Skywatch International, Inc.
      Website:
      http://www.skywatch-research.org
      Fiat Lux et Veritas

    • Linette Sukup
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 31, 2002
        The key problems for establishing this type of group are time and money.
        People can be full of enthusiasm, but there is only so much energy to go
        around. The proposal outlined here would required a group of independently
        wealthy loners.

        Peace.
        Linette

> [...]
        > shortly after.
        >
        > I like to socialize just like anyone, but that doesn't get the job done.
        > Every member of a group needs to become a UFO expert. They need to read
        the
        > literature and study the subject and even attend training classes and take
        > quizzes! It demands a lot from a person, but with everyone on board
        helping
        > it could make the job easier.
        >
        > Sincerely,
        >

        > Bill Hamilton
        > Executive Director
        > Skywatch International, Inc.
        > Website:
        > http://www.skywatch-research.org
        > Fiat Lux et Veritas

        > ufonet-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        > Word voor 10 euro (of meer) donateur van SUP (Studies of Unclassified
        Phenomena) en ontvang vier maal per jaar de UFO-Nieuwsbrief. Kijk op
        www.ufonet.nl!