Earthquakes off the Oregon coast

  • Marduk
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2002
      [Crossposted from http://www.topica.com/lists/exoscience ]

      There is something going on RIGHT NOW that I would like to draw to your
      attention. This is NOT an alert -- this is an observation on my part that
      I think could become important:

      . Updated as of Mon Sep 2 22:06:17 GMT 2002.
      .
      . DATE-(UTC)-TIME LAT LON DEP MAG Q COMMENTS
      . yy/mm/dd hh:mm:ss deg. deg. km
      .
      . 02/09/02 18:21:35 43.95N 128.36W 10.0 4.7M A OFF COAST OF OREGON
      . 02/09/02 15:17:13 44.01N 127.92W 10.0 4.4M B OFF COAST OF OREGON
      . 02/09/02 13:39:17 43.94N 128.29W 19.2 5.4M A OFF COAST OF OREGON
      . 02/09/02 13:38:10 43.91N 128.39W 21.6 5.2M A OFF COAST OF OREGON
      . 02/09/02 05:42:50 59.39N 152.98W 104.0 3.7M A SOUTHERN ALASKA

      No, these are not "major" quakes, but I've been watching an (apparent)
      pattern forming over the last couple of weeks as the movement of energy
      causing these quakes has navigated around the northern edge of the "Ring Of
      Fire" region of the Pacific; from the southern east coast of Japan over the
      top to Alaska and then down the western coast of Canada (where it seemed to
      separate into two components).

      I monitor quakes, quake movements, and quake patterns, because I don't
      think any serious study of ancient civilizations could be complete without
      some understanding (or model) of the geological "events" to which these
      civilizations may have been subjected.

      The pattern I'm observing now is part of an overall pattern I began to
      notice in early-to-mid-June when the epicenters were (then) located off the
      northern coast of Antarctica. The pattern then moved up the eastern
      coastline of South America to Chile, then advanced east across the Pacific
      to Hawaii, and then proceeded through Oceana, northwards to Taiwan, and
      then towards Japan. Oddly, this movement eastward across the Pacific
      coincided with recent reports of a bizarre "gravitational bulge" forming
      globally around the equatorial regions of our planet.

      I don't know if something is building that may cause serious concern to the
      population centers of Washington, Oregon, California, and Mexico -- but I
      think it warrants careful monitoring and a cautious "heads-up".

      The information I've shown (above) is extracted from data provided to me
      through the National Earthquake Information Service (NEIS) of the U. S.
      Geological Survey as part of a cooperative project of the Council of the
      National Seismic System.

      You may review updates to this data (as they occur) through the Internet by
      clicking on the following link:

      http://neic.usgs.gov/neis/bulletin/bulletin.html

      James aka "Marduk"
      ExoScience ListOwner / Coordinator
      Calgary Alberta Canada

      "All truths are easy to understand once they are
      discovered; the point is to discover them."
      - Galileo Galilei