Investigation Casts Light on the Mysterious Flying Black Triangle

  • SHnSASSY1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 5, 2002
      <A HREF="http://space.com/businesstechnology/technology/black_triangle_020805.html">http://space.com/businesstechnology/technology/black_triangle_020805.html</A>

      Investigation Casts Light on the Mysterious Flying Black Triangle
      By <A HREF="mailto:ldavid@...">Leonard David</A>
      posted: 07:00 am ET

      They are big, black, and triangular. In UFO folklore they are proof-positive
      that planet Earth is a rest stop for joyriding, but road-weary,
      extraterrestrials.A just released study by the National Institute for
      Discovery Science (NIDS), based in Las Vegas, Nevada, sheds new light on the
      dark and mysterious craft. They offer a more down-to-earth hypothesis. NIDS
      researchers contend that these type vehicles are lighter-than-air,
      blimp-style craft of the U.S. military's making. Likely powered by
      "electrokinetic" drive, the lifting body-shaped airships have been skirting
      the skies from perhaps the early to mid 1980s.

      Images

      Estimated to be 600 feet long and 300 feet wide, with a height of 40 feet,
      the Black Triangle could weigh as much as 100 tons. Courtesy of National
      Institute for Discovery Science (NIDS)

      More Stories

      <A HREF="http://space.com/businesstechnology/technology/classified_aircraft_010815-1.html">UFOs and Classified Aircraft: Shedding New Light on Dark Secrets

      </A>

      <A HREF="http://space.com/news/area51_exclusive_00421.html">Images of Top-Secret U.S. Air Base Show Growth

      </A>

      Illinois sighting NIDS has followed up on their study of last year that
      correlated sightings of large triangular or delta-shaped objects with Air
      Force Materiel Command and Air Mobility Command bases throughout the United
      States. Matches were made suggesting flight paths in and out of certain base
      locations. The new assessment focuses on what four police officers, and more
      than a dozen others observed on January 5, 2000: A large, silent, low-flying
      black triangular shaped object. It flew on a southwesterly direction between
      Highland, Illinois and Dupo, located less than 30 miles (48 kilometers) from
      St. Louis, Missouri. Part of the flight path took the enormous object near
      the perimeter of Scott Air Force Base. NIDS does not come up with definite
      conclusion regarding the origin of the object sighted in Illinois. However,
      the reports jibe with over 150 separate reports of sightings of large
      triangular or deltoid shaped objects. Those eyewitness accounts, accumulated
      by NIDS, have mainly come from the United States. A small number of the
      sightings they have on file come from Canada and Europe. Ballooning
      expectations To bolster their case about military airships being taken for
      UFOs, analysts at NIDS make a historical note. Lighter-than-air vehicles held
      all records for payload, distance, duration, and altitude within the first
      four decades of the 20th century - even with the advent of the airplane. In
      fact, save for rocket-powered research aircraft, like the X-15 and the space
      shuttle, all absolute altitude records are still held by high-altitude
      scientific balloons. NIDS makes the case that Big Black Deltas, or BBDs, are
      U.S. Defense Department airships. They are so large they can carry massive
      payloads at low altitudes, cruising at speeds three to five times as fast as
      surface ships. Among a range of NIDS observations, the group believes the
      BBDs are powered by electrokinetic/field drives, or airborne nuclear power
      units. These craft also fly at extreme altitudes, high above conventional
      aircraft and the pulsing of ground-based traffic control radar. Elecrokinetic
      propulsion means that no propellers or jets are used. A hybrid
      lighter-than-air craft would rely on aerostatic, lift gas, like a balloon. No
      helicopter-like downwash would be produced. Except for a slight humming from
      high-voltage control equipment -- and in older BBD versions an occasional
      coronal discharge -- a Big Black Delta makes no noise. Given a slew of BBD
      capabilities -- from silent running, diminished drag, elimination of sonic
      shockwaves, to operation from ground level to full vacuum -- NIDS calls for
      pushing this black world technology out into daylight for commercial benefit.
      Wheat from the chaff "What we're trying to do is transform unidentified
      flying objects, UFOs, into IFOs, or identified flying objects," said Colm
      Kelleher, deputy administrator for NIDS. "We want to limit the number of
      cases that are unidentified in our data base. The more that are identified,
      obviously the less we have to work on. That's our prime motivation& to
      eliminate the wheat from the chaff," Kelleher told SPACE.com. NIDS has
      amassed some 1,000 cases that are under review. Of those, about 200 are Big
      Black Delta sightings. In the last year or two, BBD reports have been on the
      rise. Kelleher said that military may well be ready to take the wraps off the
      black triangle vehicles. The Illinois case, for instance, has been built on
      hours of public views of the mystery airship. "That's not exactly stealth
      mode. It's inevitable that it will be declassified," he said. Leaping across
      the sky "There appears to be an increase in deployment of these vehicles,"
      Kelleher said. "The only time you see these things are when they are leaving
      or coming in. A lot of these sightings are at night. Our information is that
      they spend a long time aloft, weeks at a time. They can be thought of as
      ocean-going ships, rather than aircraft," he said. Over the years, the BBDs
      appear to fall into different size categories. "The ones that dominate our
      database are very, very large. They are low-flying, silent, and are reported
      to be about the size of a football field," Kelleher said. The BBDs have been
      seen accelerating very rapidly from a hovering position. "They can look as
      though they are leaping across the sky. Being silent, it's almost spooky,"
      Kelleher said. Heavy lifting L. Scott Miller, professor of Aerospace
      Engineering at Wichita State University in Wichita, Kansas, said the idea of
      a large, still-classified airship floating about is on the mark. "I do think
      that a large airship, with a heavy lift and other mission objectives, has
      been built," Miller told SPACE.com.Miller is also a distinguished lecturer of
      the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA), and
      specializes in black aircraft and the world of secret flight. The NIDS
      research documentation parallels, about 50 percent of the time, a theory that
      Miller has detailed in his AIAA talks for some two years. "Lockheed has shown
      a great deal of interest in airships for many years. The real question is
      whether the Department of Defense has committed to buy and use such
      machines," Miller said. Stealth blimp Large airships are of benefit to the
      military. They are capable of carrying extremely large and heavy payloads at
      a reasonable speed, for which there is a real mission need, Miller said. The
      U.S. airlift fleet is getting old, taking a great beating in the last 10
      years in such locales as Iran, Bosnia, Kosovo, and Afghanistan. Some new
      aircraft are making it into the inventory, but they still have limits. For
      instance, to move loads of tanks and other gear requires lots of flights and
      support. "An airship that could carry a large number of tanks, troops, and
      supplies into a region overnight would be fantastic," Miller said.
      Lockheed Martin's Stealth Blimp from 1982

      Miller does take issue with the NIDS study's view of a black triangle's
      propulsion. "Interesting, but I'm not sure it is necessary," he said. "I
      suspect that a neutrally buoyant aerodynamically lifting airships using
      conventional prop-rotor systems would be useful in implementing a practical
      airship design," Miller said. Such a vehicle could be a cross between the
      V-22 Osprey -- a craft having short wings and thrust vectoring rotors -- and
      a blended wing aircraft, he said. Miller said that by careful shaping, the
      systems used, and carefully orchestrating operational procedures, the
      vulnerability of an airship in a combat environment could be reduced. "Low
      altitude flights, at night, and an awareness of enemy capabilities would be
      critical. Indeed, slow flight at the right time can render enemy radar
      useless. A 'stealth blimp' would be feasible in this respect," Miller said.
      Black world wizardry Still, the true nature and use of the black triangle
      craft remains a head scratcher. "I suspect that the people in Illinois saw an
      airship of some type. Is it operational? I don't know. Would it be 'sexy
      enough' for the Defense Department inventory, compared to other high-tech
      aircraft like the B-2? I don't know," Miller said. "Each sighting requires a
      great deal of analysis. A witness's perceptions of speed, acceleration, and
      size are likely of very little value," Miller said. "I have taken an approach
      of first identifying needs -- or mission requirements -- and technology
      availability. Then I compare those with the cold raw, simple facts of a
      sighting, not the conjecture or guess work of a witness," he said. "I suspect
      that, as a result, perhaps up to 30 percent of the recent 'Triangle UFO'
      sightings are of black world aircraft, jets or airships," Miller concluded.

      <A HREF="http://www.worldofthestrange.com/">World Of The Strange Newsletter</A> http://www.worldofthestrange.com
      <A HREF="http://www.godlikeproductions.com/worldofthestrange/">World of the Strange Message Board</A>
      http://www.godlikeproductions.com/worldofthestrange/