Re: Reply.......To Skeptics Reading This List - Hebert

  • wsmith51@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 2, 2002
      In a message dated 07/02/2002 3:32:36 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
      gary@... writes:

      > > What is wrong with being a skeptic? What is so wrong about being
      > > skeptical? Why are people labeled "Skeptics" on this list and
      > > other lists as if they have some type of horrible disease?

      Being a skeptic automatically limits a persons ability to see things with an
      open mind. Being a skeptic tells other people that your beliefs are pretty
      much set in stone, and that there is not very much someone else can say or do
      that will change your mind. Being a skeptic keeps a person living in their
      nice little cozy box, and not wanting to leave the comfortable surrounding
      that they have gotten use too. Being a skeptic a person never learns anything
      new. Being a skeptic means that people are afraid to challenge the status quo
      belief system...........Being a skeptic means that skeptics are more willing
      to believe what someone else has told them is true, instead of themselves
      going out and learning and finding out if what they were told is really true
      or not...........Being a skeptic means never having to take a stand.....Being
      a skeptic means that that person is just another face in the crowd, that
      there is nothing to distinguishes him from the rest of
      humanity..........Being a skeptic means that the skeptic is no different from
      anybody else, and it doesn't matter what he accomplishes in life because
      someone else has probably already accomplished the same thing...........Being
      a skeptic means that your belief system is limited to earthly beliefs instead
      of universal beliefs...........

      I don't have all the answer, but at least I am no longer taking the word of
      someone else who says he has all the answer.........

      A question........If the universe is all there is as some people say it is,
      then what is on the back side of the universe?

      Sandy Nichols

    • tooflirtcop
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 2, 2002
        Sandy,

        I'd say being a skeptic opens your mind to other possibilitie. It's
        not always a bad thing.

        Mike

      • Gary Willliam Murning
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 3, 2002
          > In a message dated 07/02/2002 3:32:36 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
          > gary@... writes:
          >

          > > > What is wrong with being a skeptic? What is so wrong about being
          > > > skeptical? Why are people labeled "Skeptics" on this list and
          > > > other lists as if they have some type of horrible disease?
          > >

          > Being a skeptic automatically limits a persons ability to see
          > things with an
          > open mind. Being a skeptic tells other people that your beliefs
          > are pretty
          > much set in stone, and that there is not very much someone else
          > can say or do
          > that will change your mind. Being a skeptic keeps a person living
          > in their
          > nice little cozy box, and not wanting to leave the comfortable
          > surrounding
          > that they have gotten use too. Being a skeptic a person never
          > learns anything
          > new. Being a skeptic means that people are afraid to challenge
          > the status quo
          > belief system...........Being a skeptic means that skeptics are
          > more willing
          > to believe what someone else has told them is true, instead of themselves
          > going out and learning and finding out if what they were told is
          > really true
          > or not...........Being a skeptic means never having to take a
          > stand.....Being
          > a skeptic means that that person is just another face in the crowd, that
          > there is nothing to distinguishes him from the rest of
          > humanity..........Being a skeptic means that the skeptic is no
          > different from
          > anybody else, and it doesn't matter what he accomplishes in life because
          > someone else has probably already accomplished the same
          > thing...........Being
          > a skeptic means that your belief system is limited to earthly
          > beliefs instead
          > of universal beliefs...........
          >
          > I don't have all the answer, but at least I am no longer taking
          > the word of
          > someone else who says he has all the answer.........
          >
          > A question........If the universe is all there is as some people
          > say it is,
          > then what is on the back side of the universe?
          >
          > Sandy Nichols

          For the record, Sandy, I didn't write the piece you replied to, as your
          snipping suggests. I believe, as I've already said, that 'the tendency to be
          skeptical CAN, under certain
          circumstances, blind us to certain facts. But this isn't exclusive to
          skeptics. Belief, disbelief or 'enquiring open-mindedness', we ALL have to
          be careful that our stand-points don't 'colour' our 'ideas'.'

          Also, you're assault on skeptics, I have to say, is way too general and
          extreme.

          Regards,

          Gary

          Email: gary@...