Fwd = UFO UpDate: Re: To Skeptics Reading This List - Hebert

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2 7:06 AM
      Originally from: UFO UpDates - Toronto <ufoupdates@...> (by way of UFO UpDates - Toronto <ufoupdates@...>)
      Original Subject: UFO UpDate: Re: To Skeptics Reading This List - Hebert
      Original Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 07:32:02 -0400

      From: Amy Hebert <yellowrose129@...>
      To: UFO UpDates - Toronto <ufoupdates@...>
      Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 18:34:56 -0500
      Subject: Re: To Skeptics Reading This List

      >From: Jerry Cohen <rjcohen@...>
      >Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 09:39:47 -0400
      >Subject: To Skeptics Reading This List
      >To: ufoupdates@...

      >With so many years having past, younger skeptics may not have
      >ever seen NICAP's original rebuttal to the Condon Study. It was
      >taken from The UFO Investigator, January 1969, Vol. IV, Special
      >Edition. I happened to come across it as I was researching
      >something else.

      <snip>

      Hi, Jerry:

      If one is not a skeptic, what are you? A "believer"? "Pro-UFO"?
      How can one remain objective if not at least somewhat skeptical
      about anything one studies?

      You addressed your post to the "Skeptics" reading this List and
      I thought, "I'm skeptical at times about many things so does
      that make me a "skeptic"? Is this post addressed to me?" (Had
      the subject been "To Young Skeptics", it would have ruled me out
      immediately. ;>)

      I was once a believer. I was once pro-UFO. But luckily I
      returned to my roots as a researcher. As a researcher, I cannot
      believe anything for or against UFO's, aliens, etc. To believe
      either way is to blind myself to any truths that may be contrary
      to what I believe. If I cannot see truth, should I stumble upon
      it, how will I ever find it?

      A believer is one who believes he or she has found the truth. A
      skeptic is one who doubts, one who has not found the truth.When
      one believes, he or she does not require evidence to convince
      them - they already have all the evidence they need. When one is
      skeptical, he or she is seeking more evidence as they are not
      yet convinced, they do not believe.

      What is wrong with being a skeptic? What is so wrong about being
      skeptical? Why are people labeled "Skeptics" on this list and
      other lists as if they have some type of horrible disease?

      Ufology is not a religion, it is a science wannabe. One does not
      have to believe in UFO's or be pro-UFO to study these anomalies.
      In fact, it is wiser to suspend belief altogether if truth is
      your objective.

      I don't care what's in style these days, I'm a skeptic and proud
      of it!

      A. Hebert

    • Gary Willliam Murning
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 2 9:34 AM
        > What is wrong with being a skeptic? What is so wrong about being
        > skeptical? Why are people labeled "Skeptics" on this list and
        > other lists as if they have some type of horrible disease?

        Hmmm... well, speaking as someone with a healthy skeptical streak, I'd say,
        as a skeptic, that the tendency to be skeptical CAN, under certain
        circumstances, blind us to certain facts. But this isn't exclusive to
        skeptics. Belief, disbelief or 'enquiring open-mindedness', we ALL have to
        be careful that our stand-points don't 'colour' our 'ideas'.

        Gary

        Email: gary@...
        Website: www.garymurning.co.uk

        Need to contact me urgently?