morphology

  • Phoenix@5thdimension.de
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 25, 2002
      Did you ever notice that while taking a shower and washing the
      shampoo out of your hair you are able to open your eyes when your
      head is directed straight downwards to your feet WITHOUT GETTING
      ANY SHAMPOO/WATER INTO YOUR EYES ?

      This is not a miracle, but a result of evolution: even if it rains "cats and
      dogs" you will be able to look at your environment (around your feet :-)
      which was an advantage in the wild. The water runs around on your
      head and drips off the face at eyebrows, nose, cheeks and chin.

      What will be the result with a grey's head ?

      If you reproduce a grey's head and hold it under water with the face
      down to the ground, will water cross the big eyes or not ?
    • cleefs50@aol.com
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 26, 2002
        A method for such eyes to be protected is having a secondary, transparent
        eyelid. A thin film-like lid slips over the eye and protects it from outside
        pollution and allows the user of such eyes to be able to see in many kinds of
        weather.
        Lee

        In a message dated 6/26/2002 7:53:01 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
        Phoenix@... writes:

        > If you reproduce a grey's head and hold it under water with the face
        > down to the ground, will water cross the big eyes or not ?

        ~~~~
        "I believe in everything until it is disproved. So I believe in fairies,
        myths, dragons. Who's to say that dreams and nightmares aren't as real as
        the here and now?"~John Lennon
        ~~~~

      • Linette Sukup
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 26, 2002
          Birds have nictitating membranes. Cool innovation.

          Peace.
          Linette

          > A method for such eyes to be protected is having a secondary, transparent
          > eyelid. A thin film-like lid slips over the eye and protects it from
          outside
          > pollution and allows the user of such eyes to be able to see in many kinds
          of
          > weather.
          > Lee
          >
          > In a message dated 6/26/2002 7:53:01 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
          > Phoenix@... writes:
          >

          > > If you reproduce a grey's head and hold it under water with the face
          > > down to the ground, will water cross the big eyes or not ?
          > >

          > ~~~~
          > "I believe in everything until it is disproved. So I believe in fairies,
          > myths, dragons. Who's to say that dreams and nightmares aren't as real as
          > the here and now?"~John Lennon
          > ~~~~

          > ufonet-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

          > Word voor 10 euro (of meer) donateur van SUP (Studies of Unclassified
          Phenomena) en ontvang vier maal per jaar de UFO-Nieuwsbrief. Kijk op
          www.ufonet.nl!

        • cleefs50@aol.com
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 27, 2002
            Yes, as do reptiles, so if the greys are as some people category them, then
            perhaps they too have that innovative membrane. It would only stand to logic
            that their development would allow some sort of protective device, if what
            Pheonix posted is true.

            Thanks!
            Lee

            In a message dated 6/27/2002 11:31:10 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
            linettes@... writes:

            > Birds have nictitating membranes. Cool innovation.
            >
            > Peace.
            > Linette

            ~~~~~~~~~~
            <A HREF="http://www.alienresearchgroup.com/">ARG Alien Research Group with Sandy Nichols</A> and his book <A HREF="http://www.differentchild.com/">Different Child,
            different child</A>
            ~~~~~~~~~~
            Greatest writer around! Arthur Myers, books on the paranormal. Just do
            search in Amazon.com to find his over 20 published works. You can also visit
            Art's own website at <A HREF="http://www.angelfire.com/ma2/artmyers/index.html">ARTHUR MYERS, AUTHOR OF MORE THAN 20 PUBLISHED BOOKS!</A>

            And visit <A HREF="http://www.angelfire.com/zine2/stories/index.html">Stories</A> to read some of his short story work.
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 27, 2002
              What is said in the "autopsy scene" about eyelids ?
            • Phoenix@5thdimension.de
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 27, 2002
                Please explain "nictitating".
              • cleefs50@aol.com
                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 27, 2002
                  I don't know because I don't believe in the Santili autopsy movie. It is a
                  hoax, if that is what you are referring to.
                  Lee

                  In a message dated 6/27/2002 6:51:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                  Phoenix@... writes:

                  > What is said in the "autopsy scene" about eyelids ?

                  ~~~~~~~~~~
                  <A HREF="http://www.alienresearchgroup.com/">ARG Alien Research Group with Sandy Nichols</A> and his book <A HREF="http://www.differentchild.com/">Different Child,
                  different child</A>
                  ~~~~~~~~~~
                  Greatest writer around! Arthur Myers, books on the paranormal. Just do
                  search in Amazon.com to find his over 20 published works. You can also visit
                  Art's own website at <A HREF="http://www.angelfire.com/ma2/artmyers/index.html">ARTHUR MYERS, AUTHOR OF MORE THAN 20 PUBLISHED BOOKS!</A>

                  And visit <A HREF="http://www.angelfire.com/zine2/stories/index.html">Stories</A> to read some of his short story work.
                • Jerry Shifman
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 29, 2002
                    cleefs50@... [Lee] wrote, in part:

                    I don't know because I don't believe in the Santili autopsy movie.
                    It is a hoax, if that is what you are referring to.

                    What Lee says has become the generally accepted feeling about this film.
                    But I have followed the story carefully from the very beginning and I'm not
                    able to decide if it is a hoax or not. By that I mean, in my mind, it may
                    yet turn out to be real. Here is what I believe to be true:

                    There are no anachronisms in the film -- everything shown is consistent with
                    the mid-1947 time period. A LOT of work has been done trying to prove
                    otherwise.

                    The film stock seems to be consistent with 1947 film stock.

                    The camera work is consistent with what would have been used then.

                    If it is a hoax, who made the film? When? At what studio? Who paid to
                    have it made? All these questions must be answered to support the idea that
                    it is a hoax -- and I don't think any of them have been answered.

                    Just my view.

                    Jerry Shifman
                  • Linette Sukup
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 29, 2002
                      I don't know the etomology of the word nictitating, but the nictitating
                      membrane is like a third eyelid that the bird can lower in instances of
                      dust, heavy rain, etc.

                      Peace.
                      Linette

                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 30, 2002
                        Actually, to nictitate means to wink. Etymology: alteration of nictate to
                        wink, from Latin nictatus, past participle of nictare -
                        The nictitating membrane (third eyelid) is used for blinking; eyelids are
                        used only for sleeping. It is covered with brushlike processes inside so that
                        the cornea is swept with tears every time the membrane moves over the eye. In
                        diving birds this membrane serves as a contact lens. In owls, unlike other
                        birds, it is opaque. In the Black-billed Magpie, this third eyelid has an
                        orange spot that is displayed during courtship or aggressive behaviors. It is
                        also found in some amphibians, reptiles, and some mammals. In some diving
                        birds such as loons and grebes and ducks and auks the nictitating membrane
                        has a clear center which acts as a contact lens under water.

                        Lee

                        In a message dated 6/30/2002 5:46:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                        linettes@... writes:

                        > I don't know the etomology of the word nictitating, but the nictitating
                        > membrane is like a third eyelid that the bird can lower in instances of
                        > dust, heavy rain, etc.
                        >
                        > Peace.
                        > Linette

                        Interested in truth about conspiracies? Check out THE UNIVERSAL SEDUCTION:
                        Piercing the Veils of Deception by Angelico Tapestra. <A HREF="http://www.booksurge.com/author.php3?accountID=IMPR00229">Booksurge</A> Volume I is
                        out with Volume II on its way. Don't miss out!

                        ~~~~~~~~~~

                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 30, 2002
                          From what I have seen in television programs, all those questions have been
                          answered. The film was made with old film and camera...heck, I have that
                          here myself and could create such a film. Just fire up my old Bell and
                          Howell 8mm from 1940s and there ya go! Not a hard thing to do. I collect
                          old cameras that are in working condition, and my 8mm I have had since 1968
                          when it was only 20 some years old. One man explained on a show that he and
                          others made the film and thought they were making a documentary type film for
                          education or something. I don't recall names, but he explained and showed
                          how it was done. I believe it was filmed in England.

                          I do believe there is something to all the Roswell stories, however not quite
                          as far fetched as we all have been considering. I believe that there was an
                          autopsy, but do not think the film is authentic.

                          Lee

                          Message 12 of 19 , Jun 30, 2002
                            Probably as a peacock has virtual eyes when it fans out its tail, nicitating
                            eyelids of a bird may look like blinking eyes, although the bird actually
                            sleeps. This could be of advantage when it needs sleep in a long period
                            of time in brightness.

                            Big eyes could indicate to a long-term remaining in nearly darkness, as
                            on a journey between two stars. Eylids could have gone lost like our 5th
                            (little) toe will vanish, when we stroll along for thousands of years in to
                            small shoes.

                            Thus the morphology experiment (with water) may not be good for
                            falsification or verification, but only to indicate a direction of evolution.
                          • Linette Sukup
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jul 1, 2002
                              Another thing: Have you ever noticed how babies seem to grip the air with
                              their toes? Or what is the appendix for, anyway?

                              Peace.
                              Linette

                              Message 14 of 19 , Jul 1, 2002
                                Thank you, Lee. Are you a bird person, as I am?

                                Peace.
                                Linette

                                Message 15 of 19 , Jul 1, 2002
                                  Linette;
                                  I appreciate animals in general. Birds are a magnificent lot, the thought of
                                  them having been evolved from reptiles is amazing. We used to keep pigeons
                                  and parakeets. It was exciting to see the new babies hatch from the clutch,
                                  whether it was a parakeet or a pigeon. I have rescued many sparrows and
                                  other finches as well as blue jays and starlings. I don't have the time to
                                  tend to these critters anymore. Right now the only birds we have are
                                  chickens. My husband is tinkering in their care as a hobby. The fresh eggs
                                  are great but I hate hearing all his roosters crowing. LOL...

                                  Lee

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jul 1, 2002
                                    If you are asking about the appendix that is inside of us, it was larger in
                                    ancient times because it was a filter of sorts for poisonous foods. As man
                                    evolved and became more aware of his own needs and surroundings, he
                                    controlled his food intake and the appendix atrophied to its current size.
                                    Like the tonsils, which helps to ward off colds and infections, its job is no
                                    longer as important as it once was.

                                    Lee

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jul 1, 2002
                                      (i) A monkey's baby ?
                                      (ii) Boah - I don't know. To cause
                                      problems when you are in high spirits ?

                                      With nictitating
                                      greetings, Px
                                    • Linette Sukup
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jul 1, 2002
                                        I have a ring-necked dove. He is 13 years old.
                                        I sometimes wonder what the voices of passenger pigeons were like? Also, did
                                        dinosaurs chirp or coo? (Lol.)

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Jul 3, 2002
                                          If you are talking the large dinos, I sincerely doubt that they did a soft,
                                          gentle coo. Some have hollow bones in their head that scientists know were
                                          more like blowing hard into plastic tubing. One paleontologist demonstrated
                                          this on some show, and it sort of sounded like a fog horn.

                                          Lee