FWD: [UASR] Astronomers puzzled by brightening of star

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 1999
      Posted by : Ndunlks@...

      Astronomers puzzled by brightening of star

      CHICAGO, June 2 (Reuters) - The brightest known star in the universe is
      radiating twice as much light as it did 20 years ago, puzzling astronomers
      who said on Wednesday they could not explain the sudden change.

      The star, known as Eta, is about 7,500 light-years from Earth, and is visible
      to the naked eye in the southern hemisphere. The star sits between two huge
      lobes of gas and dust that were formed by a tremendous explosion observed
      about 150 years ago.

      Astrophysicists at a meeting of the American Astronomical Society in Chicago
      said they had expected Eta's spectrum to change in 1998, but did not foresee
      a major jump in brightness. The central star has more than doubled in
      brightness since 1977, after dimming somewhat from 1992 to 1997.

      ``Eta's brightness routinely wiggles plus or minus 10 percent,'' said Kris
      Davidson, an astrophysicist at the University of Minnesota. ``But we've
      gotten four spectra from (the Hubble Space Telescope) in the last two years,
      and its brightness is rising at an incredible rate.''

      Eta's brightening was all the more puzzling because it was happening
      uniformly at all wave lengths. Scientists had expected that as the object
      cooled off, its spectrum would dim at the more energetic ultraviolet
      wavelengths. Instead, its across-the-board brightening was similar to some
      kind of cosmic shroud was being lifted, said Roberta Humphreys, another
      astrophysicist at the University of Minnesota.

      ``The clearing of dust in our line of sight could do that kind of thing, but
      that's a lot to ask of dust,'' Humphreys said. ``Dust is coming out from Eta
      in all directions. Therefore, it's unlikely that a cloud of dust just moved
      across our line of sight and is now clearing.''

      Astrophysicists consider Eta one of the most enigmatic celestial objects. The
      star radiates a stream of energetic particles, called a stellar wind, that is
      100 to 1,000 times stronger than the winds generated by most massive stars.
      Every millennium, Eta loses enough mass to equal that of our sun, Davidson
      said.

      13:17 06-02-99

      13:17 06-02-99
      Copyright 1999 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or
      redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is
      expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters
      shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any
      actions taken in reliance thereon. All active hyperlinks have been inserted
      by AOL.