FWD: (eS) Counting planets ...

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 1999
      exoScience - http://www.exosci.com/

      Hi,

      I found an interesting article about a new technique to count the
      number of planetary systems in our galaxy. Rather than directly
      measuring the impact of a planet on its star (by measuring the wobble
      of the star), they look for the more obvious effects that occur when a
      large planet is engulfed by an expanding star (red giant). Such a
      star gives of excess infrared energy, spins more rapidly than it
      should, and shows high amounts of lithium in its spectrum. Check it
      out: http://exosci.com/news/159.html

      Also, there's a really nice new Hubble Telescope image out at:
      http://exosci.com/news/158.html

      Dave Watanabe
      davew@...