Fwd = Nick Pope's Column - May, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2002
      Original Date: Wed, 01 May 2002 16:27:14 -0700

      Hot Gossip UK May 2002

      Welcome to the May 2002 round-up of the weird and the wonderful, with
      all the latest news concerning UFOs, abductions, the paranormal and
      much more besides.

      Top Secret UFO Documents

      The May issue of UFO Magazine is out now and includes further Top
      Secret UFO documents from the early Fifties, published for the first
      time. These documents are part of an article that Georgina Bruni and I
      have written, following-up on some of the points in last month's world
      exclusive article concerning the British Government's handling of the
      UFO phenomenon. The documents come from a series of files at the
      Public Record Office (DEFE 10/496, DEFE 41/74 and DEFE 41/75) and
      relate to the setting up of the Flying Saucer Working Party. Our new
      article expands on some of the themes covered in the April edition of
      the magazine, including George Adamski's 1963 visit to Earl
      Mountbatten's estate, R V Jones' interest in the unexplained, and the
      extent to which the US influenced the British Government's policy with
      regard to UFOs. We also write about the more general state of
      Anglo-American relations, and explain how the field of scientific
      intelligence was beset by difficulties in the post-war period. Some of
      this latter material may seem as if it's not directly related to
      ufology, but we believe it's extremely relevant. In our previous
      article we showed how the sceptic versus believer debate about UFOs
      raged at the very heart of the British Establishment, involving
      figures such as Tizard, Jones, Lindemann, Dowding and Mountbatten. In
      our new article we show how the development of official policy
      concerning UFOs cannot be viewed in isolation from wider political
      factors. Check out www.ufomag.co.uk for details of the magazine.

      The Secret State

      Contemporary historian Peter Hennessy has written an intriguing and
      decidedly chilling new book entitled The Secret State. The subtitle is
      Whitehall and the Cold War, and the book tells the story of how
      Britain would have reacted to a nuclear attack. Hennessy draws on
      declassified Joint Intelligence Committee (JIC) documents and
      interviews with some of the key players. Extensively referenced, the
      book gives a terrifying glimpse of what might have happened if the
      Cold War had exploded into the real thing. Published by the Penguin
      Group, The Secret State costs £16.99.

      The Big Breakfast

      After ten years, one of Britain's best-known programmes came to an end
      on Good Friday, as The Big Breakfast broadcast its final show. My
      reason for mentioning this is that the show was one of the few British
      programmes favourably disposed to ufology, and over the years they've
      interviewed the likes of Georgina Bruni, Timothy Good, Russel
      Callaghan and Nick Redfern. I 've been on four or five times and was
      invited back for the final show and to a party to celebrate the
      programme. It was sad to see the show go and I wish everyone involved
      in it every success for the future.

      Is Ufology Dead?

      There was fairly wide media coverage of comments made by Fortean Times
      editor Bob Rickard at the magazine's annual UnConvention last month.
      The remarks were sceptical about UFOs and prompted a debate over
      whether ufology was dead. Judy Jaafar and Georgina Bruni debated the
      issue on Richard %26 Judy, while UFO Magazine editor Graham Birdsall
      launched a vigorous defence of the subject online and in the magazine.
      He pointed out that since the beginning of the year the magazine has
      been sent around two dozen videos of UFO sightings captured by members
      of the public in the UK. And of course there's a much greater number
      of sightings reports not backed up by film footage. This illustrates a
      problem that I faced at the Ministry of Defence. People would ask how
      many sightings had been reported to us in a particular year and then
      treat the figure as if it was a global total. I'd constantly have to
      remind people that the MOD figures only covered the UK and dealt only
      with reports made to the Department. But many people would never
      report to the MOD, either because they didn't know how to, or because
      they mistrusted us and thought we'd cover up their sighting. So we got
      some reports, the various different UFO groups and researchers got
      some (and hardly ever shared data) and the media got some. And all the
      time most people who see a UFO won't report it to anyone, either
      because they fear ridicule or because they simply don't know who to
      report to. The bottom line is that nobody, not even the MOD, has
      comprehensive data on the true extent of the phenomenon. So is ufology
      dead because one particular magazine or group isn't getting good
      reports? I think not.

      The Missing Times

      Terry Hansen is the author of The Missing Times, a UFO book that is
      causing something of a controversy at the moment. The subtitle of the
      book is News Media Complicity in the UFO Cover-up. Now I'm not a
      conspiracy theorist, but for people who are, this is an intriguing
      title. Anyone who enjoyed Michael Mannion's book Project Mindshift
      should enjoy Terry's book. But my primary reason for mentioning this
      book is the fact that it is one of the few UFO books to highlight the
      role that Professor R V Jones played in the development of official
      policy on UFOs. Hansen also includes material on how the government
      handled sightings of foo fighters and ghost rockets. The Missing Times
      can be ordered through www.xlibris.com or through the usual
      Internet book sites.

      Ed's Note:

      Nick Pope's four books, Open Skies, Closed Minds, The Uninvited,
      Operation Thunder Child and Operation Lightning Strike are available
      from all good bookshops and from the usual Internet book sites. His UK
      publishers are Simon %26 Schuster. In America, The Overlook Press
      publish his books in hardback while the paperbacks are produced by
      Dell Publishing.

      © Hot Gossip UK 2001