Fwd = The "Sense of Being Stared At" Does Not Depend On Known Sensory Clues

    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2002
      Original Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 20:13:27 +0200 (CEST)

      The "Sense of Being Stared At" Does Not Depend On Known Sensory Clues

      by Rupert Sheldrake

      Biology Forum 93: 209-224 (2000)

      Abstract.
      The "sense of being stared at" can be investigated by means of
      simple experiments in which subjects and lookers work in pairs,
      with the looker sitting behind the subject. In a random sequence
      of trials, the looker either looks at the back of the subject, or
      looks away and thought of something else. More than 15,000 trials
      have already been conducted, involving more than 700 subjects, with
      an extremely significant excess of correct over incorrect guesses
      (Sheldrake [1999]). This effect was still apparent in experiments
      in which subjects were blindfolded and given no feedback, showing
      it did not depend on visual clues, nor on the subjects knowing if
      their guesses were right or wrong (Sheldrake [2000]). In this
      paper I describe experiments I conducted in schools in England in
      which the subjects were not only blindfolded and given no feedback,
      but looked at through closed windows. There was again a very
      significant excess of correct over incorrect guesses (p<0.004). At
      my request, teachers in Canada, Germany and the United States
      carried out similar experiments and found an even more significant
      positive effect than in my own experiments (p< 0.0002). The fact
      that positive results were still obtained when visual clues had
      been effectively eliminated by blindfolds, and auditory and
      olfactory clues by closed windows, implies that the sense of being
      stared at does not depend on the known senses. I conclude that
      peoples' ability to know when they are being looked at depends on
      an influence at present unknown to science.

      Full text (html)
      http://www.sheldrake.org/papers/SensoryStaredat/sensefulltext.html

    • Peter Johnson
      Message 2 of 2 , May 2, 2002
        It's called E.S.P. extra sensory perception.
        Peter Johnson
        > Original Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 20:13:27 +0200 (CEST)
        >
        > ========================== Forwarded message begins ======================
        >
        > The "Sense of Being Stared At" Does Not Depend On Known Sensory Clues
        >
        > by Rupert Sheldrake
        >
        > Biology Forum 93: 209-224 (2000)
        >
        > Abstract.
        > The "sense of being stared at" can be investigated by means of
        > simple experiments in which subjects and lookers work in pairs,
        > with the looker sitting behind the subject. In a random sequence
        > of trials, the looker either looks at the back of the subject, or
        > looks away and thought of something else. More than 15,000 trials
        > have already been conducted, involving more than 700 subjects, with
        > an extremely significant excess of correct over incorrect guesses
        > (Sheldrake [1999]). This effect was still apparent in experiments
        > in which subjects were blindfolded and given no feedback, showing
        > it did not depend on visual clues, nor on the subjects knowing if
        > their guesses were right or wrong (Sheldrake [2000]). In this
        > paper I describe experiments I conducted in schools in England in
        > which the subjects were not only blindfolded and given no feedback,
        > but looked at through closed windows. There was again a very
        > significant excess of correct over incorrect guesses (p<0.004). At
        > my request, teachers in Canada, Germany and the United States
        > carried out similar experiments and found an even more significant
        > positive effect than in my own experiments (p< 0.0002). The fact
        > that positive results were still obtained when visual clues had
        > been effectively eliminated by blindfolds, and auditory and
        > olfactory clues by closed windows, implies that the sense of being
        > stared at does not depend on the known senses. I conclude that
        > peoples' ability to know when they are being looked at depends on
        > an influence at present unknown to science.
        >
        > Full text (html)
        > http://www.sheldrake.org/papers/SensoryStaredat/sensefulltext.html

        > ufonet-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        > Word voor 10 euro (of meer) donateur van SUP (Studies of Unclassified
        Phenomena) en ontvang vier maal per jaar de UFO-Nieuwsbrief. Kijk op
        www.ufonet.nl!