FWD: Space Science news

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 1999
      From: Craig Tupper <dtupper@...>

      Greetings!

      Things got a little hectic around here, and this is the first message to
      this list in almost 2 weeks. Sorry! Here's the recent news at
      http://spacescience.nasa.gov/ :

      -------------------

      Scientists catching cosmic rays have tightened the constraints on the
      evolving theory of how atoms travelling at nearly the speed of light are
      produced and strewn across the Universe through supernovae. These results
      come from our Advanced Composition Explorer spacecraft.

      GSFC press release at ftp://pao.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/PAO/Releases/1999/99-070.htm
      ACE page at http://www.srl.caltech.edu/ACE/

      -------------------

      One longstanding mystery of the sun is why its outer atmosphere - the
      corona - is 200 times hotter than its surface. Now, a trio of scientists
      says it's because the corona is heated by incessant mini-explosions, called
      microflares. Nice story at
      http://science.nasa.gov/newhome/headlines/ast31may99_1.htm

      -------------------

      We have taken all appropriate actions to mitigate issues raised regarding
      the Inertial Upper Stage and have decided to proceed with preparing
      Inertial Upper Stage-27, beginning today, for launch of the Chandra X-ray
      Observatory on STS-93 no earlier than July 22. You can read more, and
      follow future preparations for the launch of Chandra, the "x-ray Hubble",
      at http://www1.msfc.nasa.gov/NEWSROOM/chandra/chandra.html

      -------------------

      An impact basin deep enough to swallow Mount Everest and surprising slopes
      in Valles Marineris highlight a global map of Mars that will influence
      scientific understanding of the red planet for years. The topographical
      map is just the latest output from Mars Global Surveyor.

      text and images:
      http://pao.gsfc.nasa.gov/gsfc/spacesci/pictures/mola/mars3d.htm
      MGS home: http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/mgs/

      -------------------

      The Hubble Space Telescope Key Project Team announced last week that it has
      completed efforts to measure precise distances to far-flung galaxies, an
      essential ingredient needed to determine the age, size and fate of the
      universe. "Before Hubble, astronomers could not decide if the universe was
      10 billion or 20 billion years old," said team leader Wendy Freedman.
      Combining Hubble's new measurement with estimates for the density of the
      universe, the team determined that the universe is approximately 12 billion
      years old. Press release and images at
      http://oposite.stsci.edu/pubinfo/pr/1999/19/pr.html

      A second test of Deep Space 1's Remote Agent experiment, a package of
      onboard software designed to run parts of the spacecraft automatically
      without intervention from the ground, has been completed. All Remote Agent
      objectives have now been met.

      story at http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/status/ds1/ds1990521.html
      DS1 home: http://nmp.jpl.nasa.gov/ds1/

      follow the directions at: