UFO ROUNDUP, Volume 7 Number 14

  • John Hayes
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 4, 2002
      Posted on behalf of Joseph Trainor.

      <Masinaigan@...>
      ==========================

      UFO ROUNDUP
      Volume 7, Number 14
      April 2, 2002
      Editor: Joseph Trainor

      http://ufoinfo.com/roundup/

      LARGE SAUCER FLIES OVER
      DOWNTOWN OTTAWA

      Canada's UFO flap continued last week with the
      sighting of a large saucer over Ottawa, the national
      capital.
      On Tuesday, March 19, 2002, at 2 p.m., the huge
      object appeared over the city, heading north. The woman
      witness reported, "Right now, I'm still quite excited as
      today I saw a large flying saucer right over downtown
      Ottawa (population 323,340) at approximately 2 p.m."
      "I was visiting a friend in hospital in Hull (now
      Gatineau, Quebec--J.T.) for the afternoon today. He went
      back to his room to get changed because we were going to
      go outside for a while. So I stayed in the smoking room
      with a man I had talked to a few times before. This
      smoking room has a panoramic window view of downtown
      Ottawa and the hospital is located close to the Ottawa
      River."
      "Anyway, I was sitting there, watching TV, when all
      of a sudden the man said something to the effect of 'What
      the hell is that flying over there!?'"
      "I looked, expecting a kite or something, but it was
      this massive saucer. It seemed like at first it was
      hiding in the lower clouds" but then it revealed itself.
      "Right there, over downtown Ottawa, was the large craft!
      Its colour was dark gray metallic. Its shape was round.
      It was just, you know, the sort of thing I had always read
      about in UFO sightings. You could call it a classic
      flying saucer. The sighting lasted for about 30 seconds,
      then it disappeared out of view due to part of the
      hospital blocking the way. Its size was a little bigger
      than an airliner."
      "It was heading either north or northwest when last I

      saw it," she added, "It couldn't have been more than 400
      feet (130 meters) above the skyscrapers of downtown
      Ottawa." (Many thanks to Sue Darroch of
      Para-Researchers of Canada for forwarding this report.)

      MORE UFO REPORTS SURFACE
      IN BRITISH COLUMBIA

      Two more UFO reports have surfaced in northern
      British Columbia as the result of last Saturday's feature
      story in the Smithers, B.C. Interior.
      One sighting took place in Smithers (population
      5,624), a town on Provincial Highway 16 about 256
      kilometers (160 miles) west of Prince George, B.C.
      According to ufologist Brian Vike, "The witness said that
      he had gone to rent a video from the Smithers Hollywood
      Video store" on Friday, February 1, 2002 at 10 p.m. "and,
      after he came out and got into his car and started
      driving down the road, something caught his eye."
      "He pulled his vehicle over, got out and watched it
      (the UFO) fly slowly over and around the town for
      approximately five minutes. He thought it was descending,
      and his first thoughts were of a para-glider, and said it
      was the best way to describe what he was looking at. He
      also said the object had 'one' bright white light on it.
      He noticed that the light would go from bright to dim but
      said he wasn't sure if this was due to the object turning.
      He also said that its height from the ground would have
      been 1,500 feet (450 meters)."
      On Thursday, February 14, 2002, at midnight, a man
      living on the south shore of Francois Lake approximately
      30 kilometers (18 miles) from the ferry landing, had a
      close encounter. The witness "saw something very strange
      in the night sky. He said the night was perfectly dark
      with the stars shining brightly."
      "When he looked up into the sky, something caught his

      eye due to the speed of the object" which "had lights on
      it. He went on to explain that he has seen a lot of
      satellites, planes, etc. but the object was like nothing
      he could compare it to. He said it almost looked like an
      aircraft and 'as it came close to my area', the object
      came to a complete stop and went totally dark. Then, all
      of a sudden, there was a flash of light which reminded him
      of" taking a mirror and tilting it to one side to catch
      the sun's reflection. "And, aiming it (the bright flash)
      toward the ground, you could see a very bright area lit
      up. Because it was totally dark, he said it was like a
      ray of light which seemed to be sweeping the ground."
      The witness told Vike that "the sighting only lasted
      a couple of minutes before (the UFO was) continuing on its
      way at an incredible speed. It came from the north and
      left heading directly south, then disappeared."
      "He went on to say he couldn't believe how powerful
      the light was," Vike said, "It was almost as if the sun
      were shining through clouds, giving the effect of a beam
      of sunlight. It looked as if the UFO was looking for
      something as the beam of light swept the ground."
      Francois Lake is in the Grassy Plains area, just
      south of Burns Lake, B.C. (population 1,793). Burns Lake
      is at the intersection of Provincial Highways 16 and 35
      about 216 kilometers (135 miles) west of Prince George,
      B.C. (See the Smithers, B.C. Interior for March 23, 2002.
      Many thanks to Brian Vike for these reports.)

      NEW MIRACLE REPORTED AT
      MEDJUGORJE IN BOSNIA

      On Wednesday, February 27, 2002, an Italian UFO
      contactee, visionary and stigmatic named Giorgio
      Bongiovanni appeared on the TV show La Vita in Diretta in
      Rome "without his habitual (stigmatic) scar on his
      forehead, which he had been exhibiting for about nine
      years."
      Bongiovanni claimed to have the stigmata (a
      phenomenon in which people spontaneously develop the
      wounds of Jesus Christ--J.T.), in particular a cross on
      the forehead similar to that of St. Gemma Galgagni (1878-
      1903). Shortly after his TV appearance, Bongiovanni
      "issued a press release through his magazine Nonsiamosoli
      (Italian for We Are Not Alone--J.T.) that he made a
      pilgrimage to Medjugorje in Bosnia-Herzegovina," where he
      received a miraculous cure..
      According to Bongiovanni, he visited the shrine atop
      Mount Podbrdo on the morning of Monday, February 11, 2002
      "and prayed silently to ask the Virgin Mary to render
      invisible at least the scar of his stigmata."
      To his astonishment, the former Miriam bat-Joachim
      suddenly appeared before him and touched his forehead with
      her fingertips. The scar instantly vanished. Then she
      asked him to return to Italy and make known what had
      happened.
      This is the latest in a series of miraculous
      happenings involving Miriam and Medjugorje (Croatian for
      Between the Mountains--J.T.)
      Medjugorje is located 40 kilometers (25 miles) south
      of Mostar and about 80 kilometers (50 miles) southwest of
      Sarajevo, Bosnia's capital.
      The first strange incident took place in 1932
      involving Pope Pius XI. This pope was born Achille Ratti
      near Milano and, after his ordination as a priest, was an
      archivist at the Vatican Library. After World War I, he
      became the papal nuncio in Warsaw, Poland. He was also an
      enthusiastic mountain climber.
      (Editor's Note: Curiously enough, the then-Archbishop
      Ratti was in Warsaw in May 1920 when Pope John Paul II
      --birth name Karol Wojytla--was born.)
      One night in February 1932, Pope Pius XI was asleep
      in his Vatican bedroom and dreamed that he was climbing a
      mountain. A mountain he had never seen before. He knew
      he wasn't in Italy--he had scaled nearly every peak in the
      Alps. When he reached the summit, he found Miriam waiting
      patiently for him there. She was wearing a light gray
      dress with a long white veil.
      "Achille," she told him, "I want you to build a cross

      on this site. Because this place will become very
      important in the future."
      Looking around in bewilderment, he mumbled, "Where
      am I?"
      "Yugoslavia." And smiling gently, she added,
      "Remember this mountain, Achille."
      And the pope suddenly woke up. That was a weird
      dream, he thought.
      A few months later, Pope Pius XI received a petition
      from the Archbishop of Mostar in Yugoslavia (now Bosnia-
      Herzegovina--J.T.) The diocese wanted to erect a concrete
      cross on Mount Sipovac commemorating the 1,900th
      anniversary of the crucifixion of Jesus Christ. When the
      pope saw a photograph of the proposed site, he gasped out
      loud. It was the mountaintop he had seen in his dream.
      He signed the construction order immediately. The
      cross was erected in 1933, and the mountain's name was
      changed from Sipovac to Krisevac (Croatian for Mountain of
      the Cross--J.T.)
      Flash-forward nearly a half-century to June 24, 1981.

      Two teenaged girls--Ivanka Ivankovic, 15, and Mirjana
      Dragicevic, 16--were hiking up Mount Podbrdo. Both girls
      were staying with relatives in Bijakovici, a village
      located between Mount Krisevac and Mount Podbrdo, and had
      decided to hike up the latter to smoke some cigarettes and
      enjoy the view.
      As they reached the summit, Ivanka and Mirjana saw
      strange lights flashing in the sky above the cross on
      Mount Krisevac. Then a brilliant light appeared on Mount
      Podbrdo, about 40 meters (132 feet) away, and they saw "a
      beautiful lady in a gray dress with a long white veil"
      appear at the heart of the glow.
      "Let's get out of here!" Ivanka yelled, and they ran
      down the hillside trail in a panic.
      Halfway down the mountain, they encountered some
      friends from the village and told their story. "A group
      of them returned to the mountain. There she was! They
      wondered if she could really be the Blessed Virgin Mary.
      They all ran away in terror."
      Yet Mirjana Dragicevic was intrigued by the incident.
      She returned to the spot the following day, June 25, 1981,
      with some friends, Vicka Ivankovic, 17; Ivan Dragivecic,
      16; Marija Pavlovic, 17; Jakov Colo, 10--and a reluctant
      Ivanka, and the Marian apparitions began in earnest. They
      have been going on now for over twenty years. (See UFO-
      Italia for March 9, 2002. Also The Visions of the
      Children: The Apparitions of the Blessed Mother at
      Medjugorje by Janice T. Connell, St. Martin's Press, New
      York, N.Y., 1993, pags 4 through 7; and The Queen of Peace
      Visits Medjugorje by Joseph A. Pelletier, A.A.,
      Assumption Publications, Worcester, Mass., 1987, pages 13
      through 21. Grazie a Edoardo Russo di Centro Italiano di
      Studi Ufologici per questo rapporto.)
      (Editor's Comment: Bongiovanni's encounter took place on
      February 11. Oddly enough, this is a significant date in
      Marian lore. On February 11, 1858, Bernadette Soubirous
      had her first encounter with Miriam at the Grotte de
      Massabielle near Lourdes in southern France.)

      UFOLOGISTS WANT TO SEND
      A PETITION TO THE UN

      Tired of being ignored and brushed off by different
      national governments around the world, a group of
      ufologists are planning to bring the movement to the
      forefront of international politics--by submitting a
      petition to the United Nations.
      "An international, multilingual petition requesting a

      UN investigation and disclosure of UFO information" has
      been written, and it will be presented to Secretary-General

      Kofi Annan in March 2003.
      The goal of the petition, spokesman John Velez said,
      "is to increase the number of nations--Australia, Belgium,
      Brazil, France and Spain--who have either declassified or
      released their UFO files, or cooperated with civilians
      and openly reported UFO encounters to the media."
      "A compilation of world-wide UFO-footage will be
      submitted with the petition," Velez added, "Please read
      and digitally sign the petition, then spread the word."
      The International Petition for UFO Information
      Disclosure can be viewed at the following website...
      http://www.virtuallystrange.net/petition. (Many
      thanks to John Velez for this news release.)

      CHUPACABRAS SEEN BY
      FARMERS IN ARGENTINA

      "Residents of El Tonco, located in the vicinity of
      Los Cardones National Park" near Cachi in northern
      Argentina "claim to have seen a strange humanoid of
      average height with red eyes, sharpened teeth, covered in
      hair and with fingers ending in long, sharp claws,
      prowling around their (cattle) herds."
      "Creatures have been seen in the valleys of the
      Chalchaque region" between Cachi and the city of Salta.
      The region is 750 kilometers (450 miles) northwest of
      Buenos Aires, the national capital.
      "Maria Rufina Cayo is a 73-year-old herdswoman who
      devotes herself to raising sheep and goats in El Tonco, a
      suburb of the municipality of Payogasta, bordering Los
      Cardones National Park. She was the first one to
      report the strange presence."
      "The woman lives and works alongside her sister,
      Benita, 79, in the desolate landscape where 33 farms are
      scattered over a vast mountain region."
      "On (Monday) February 11, (2002) she says, 'I was
      returning home and driving my cattle with my dogs. It was
      getting dark, and, as I walked, I was praying the Rosary,
      asking God for rain. At that instant, something alarmed
      the animals and started them running.'"
      "'When I looked from one side to the other to see
      what was going on, I saw it. It was a strange
      being...half-human, half-animal. It measured 1.7 meters
      (about 6 feet tall--J.T.) approximately and was less than
      12 meters (40 feet) away from me. It looked at me three
      times and moved quickly, leaping with its two powerful
      rear limbs and leaving dust in the distance, shaking its
      two long ears over its head. I was startled, but not
      scared,' she adds."
      "Santos Jaimes, 30, and Ruben Colque, 34, are two of
      El Tonco's residents. Alerted by Maria Rufina's story,
      they went out to investigate in the company of some
      neighbors."
      "'We were walking down the trail when the dogs
      refused to go any further and began to howl pitifully. We
      heard strange noises and ran to see what was going on. We
      passed a few bushes and we saw it. We were frozen in
      panic.'"
      "'It was a horrible being that glared at us with red
      eyes. Seated on its haunches, it (sprang and then) ran
      away swiftly toward Cerro Negro. Its feet looked like a
      cow's hooves but with a sort of rear spur (like a rooster-
      -J.T.). On the next day, we went out for a look and found
      these strange footprints. We don't know what it is, but
      we're on the lookout for anything,' said Jaimes and
      Colque."
      "Residents of El Tonco claim that it measures 1.7
      meters (tall) and its body is covered in hair."
      "According to Juan Carlos Chavez, sheriff of the
      Cafayete regional police, the endless sightings that
      affected (Calama in) Chile for months has the trans-Andean
      community on tenterhooks. The presence of the mythic
      being in the rural community of El Tonco can be added to a
      series of UFO sightings which have occurred in the (Cachi)
      area."
      (Editor's Note: El Tonco is only 400 kilometers or 250
      miles east of Calama, Chile.)
      "'We are linking these events. Some ten days ago
      (March 20, 2002), a thorough investigation was conducted
      in the place where the animal had turned up and where the
      sightings occurred. We haven't found much, because there
      are no clear traces such as the dead (farm) animals that
      turned up in Chile,' said Sheriff Chavez."
      "'According to witnesses, rather than adopting an
      aggressive stance, the animal takes off when it sees
      humans. However, people are concerned over what happened
      in Calama. They fear their cattle will be attacked,'
      explained the sheriff, adding that a police commission
      shall study the strange phenomenon--which is the talk of
      the community--for a month and in an exhaustive manner."
      (See the Argentinian newspapers El Tribuno of Salta for
      March 27, 2002, "Strange humanoid allegedly seen," and Las
      Ultimas Noticias of Buenos Aires for March 30, 2002,
      "Chupacabras reach Argentina." Muchas gracias a Scott
      Corrales, autor de los libros Chupacabras and Other
      Mysteries y Forbidden Mexico, y tambien Gloria Coluchi,
      para los articulos de diario.)

      RECTANGULAR UFO SIGHTED
      IN NORTHERN ITALY

      On Tuesday, February 19, 2002, at about 11 p.m., "a
      strange apparition" was sighted by many people in Revello,
      a small town near Cuneo at the foot of the Alpi Cozie
      mountains. Cuneo is 110 kilometers (66 miles) south of
      Torino (Turin).
      "Numerous residents" of Revello "noticed a
      rectangular-shaped object over the hills, suspended a few
      meters above the ground. The mysterious and luminous
      object then moved, illuminating the woods, before
      disappearing without a trace."
      "The object was 1.5 kilometers (just over a mile--
      J.T.) away, over a hill. It appeared to be bright white
      and rectangular.in shape and as large as an automobile.
      After ten seconds or so, the object slowly descended
      behind the trees, illuminating them from behind, and then
      disappeared."
      The witnesses are being interviewed by Italian
      ufologist Matteo Leone. (See the Italian newspaper La Eco
      dei Chisone for February 28, 2002. Grazie a Edoardo Russo
      e Camillo Michieletto di CISU per questo rapporto.)

      DISC-SHAPED UFO SPOTTED
      IN ALLEN, TEXAS

      On Wednesday, March 27, 2002, "Huckleberry" M. was at

      home in Allen, Texas (population 43,554) when a UFO
      approached from the north.
      "A hubcap-like thing flew over and landed in a
      field," Huck reported. "At the time we were going
      fishing. We walked on past a tree to see the hubcap hover
      about 10 feet (3 meters) off the ground and then it zipped
      off to the west."
      "It was silver and round at the top like a hubcap
      (that is, it had a dome-shaped protuberance on top--J.T.).
      Around the side were little circular lights. The round
      top looked like it could pop up like a door. It had no
      landing gear. Height was about five yards (15 feet) off
      the ground. Length was about 10 feet (3 meters) and the
      speed was going fast as you can see. When it zipped off,
      it looked like a line shooting across the sky."
      Allen, Tex. is on Highway 5 about 20 miles (32
      kilometers) north of Dallas. (Email Form Report)

      LUMINOUS UFO SEEN OVER
      HUGO, OKLAHOMA

      On Thursday, March 21, 2002, the male eyewitness
      reported, "I was riding around" Hugo, Oklahoma "about 9 or
      10 (o'clock) at night. And I saw a single white light.
      It was moving across the sky. It was not a plane or a
      satellite. It didn't blink. We followed it to the
      airport, and it disappeared."
      "My son and I went home, and (then) it came over our
      house! It had red, blue and green lights with a bright
      white light in the middle. It was a triangle shape. It
      made no noise and moved so slow. Then it disappeared."
      Hugo, Okla. (population 5,536) is on Highway 70 just
      north of the Texas state line and about 65 miles (108
      kilometers) south of McAlester, Okla. (Many thanks to
      John Hoppe of UFO Wisconsin for forwarding this report.)

      CONE-SHAPED UFO SIGHTED
      IN GLENWOOD, IOWA

      On Friday, March 15, 2002, at 8:30 p.m., the male
      witness, who wishes to remain anonymous, reported, "I was
      coming home from (nearby) Omaha, Nebraska on (Interstate
      Highway) I-79 South when I first noticed a cone-shaped
      object that was not moving across the sky like an airplane
      or known aircraft. It was stationary. The color was a
      pale neon blue. It looked as if it was a mile or 2 above
      ground. I kept my eye on it as I was driving. Then I
      pulled over and observed the thing for about 15 minutes."
      The witness estimated that the cone-shaped UFO was
      over Highway 34 approximately 3 miles (5 kilometers) west
      of Glenwood, Iowa.
      He added, "It looked as though it occasionally cast
      some sort of light down under it. I get the feeling that
      it was looking for something or perhaps taking photos.
      The light that was being cast down was not as bright
      as the object itself. It was rather faint in comparison."
      "There is an Air Force base nearby, and one of the
      bigger planes emerged from the southeastern sky. As the
      plane got closer, the object seemed to fade in brightness.
      And, just like a car backing up in reverse, the object
      did until you could no longer see it."
      "When the plane went by and was out of sight, back it

      came and resumed whatever it was doing before."
      "The thing moved at fantastic speed. It doesn't seem

      like the object was playing hide-and-seek with the plane.
      Also, I noticed I was not the only person who pulled over
      to watch this thing."
      The object was still over Glenwood when the witness
      drove away.
      Glenwood (population 5,358) is on Iowa Highway 275,
      about 25 miles (40 kilometers) southeast of Omaha,
      Nebraska. (Email Form Report)

      RANCHER PHOTOGRAPHS
      UFOs NEAR SPOKANE, WASH.

      Since Saturday, February 2, 2002, farmers and
      ranchers near Tyler, a small town in Washington state
      about 25 miles (40 kilometers) southwest of Spokane, have
      been seeing "mysterious lights in the sky three or four
      times per week."
      The high prairie around Tyler is locally known as the

      Palouse, and it is most famous for its vast wheat fields.
      People living in the area have an unlimited view on clear
      nights, and they are puzzled by the strange flurry of
      recent UFOs.
      "Since that time, I have observed 'lights' in the
      night sky an average of three or four nights per week,"
      the witness, a middle-aged male rancher, reported.
      "Beginning about (Thursday) February 7, I started taking
      photographs with an Instamatic-type camera, and as of
      about (Friday) February 15, I began shooting through a
      Meade 200x telescope using a 35-millimeter Canon A6-1
      (camera). I have quite a few pictures, most of which show
      uneven blobs of light. However, in some (photos) shot at
      shorter shutter speeds, the lights take on a discernable
      saucer shape."
      "I witnessed a startling event about February 5 or 6.

      The evening had been quite stormy and rainy, with strong
      gusts of wind. But at about 9:30 p.m., the wind and rain
      let up, and, within minutes, a large 'light' popped up
      over the Palouse. Then, within a minute, I observed a
      lighted jet aircraft 'dive' out of the clouds above the
      light and fly directly at it. The light began a rather
      rapid movement to the north, with the aircraft
      following it!"
      "It was my impression that the plane was 'waiting'
      and 'pounced' on the light when it appeared," he stated,
      adding that the UFO sightings continue in the Palouse
      wheat country. (Many thanks to Brian Vike for forwarding
      this report.)

      UFO SIGHTED IN CALIFORNIA

      On Saturday, March 16, 2002, in the late evening, a
      witness in Hayward, California (population 140,030) "was
      looking into the clear dark sky when I suddenly and
      accidentally saw an object which I cannot explain. The
      object was shining light of a white color, and it moved
      west towards San Francisco Bay. The object was very fast,
      much faster than a plane, and it didn't make any sound at
      all."
      "I guess the object was about 500 feet (150 meters)
      above ground level. Although I saw it for just two
      seconds, I could tell for sure that I had never seen such
      a thing before in my life. I am absolutely sure it was
      not an airplane. The object had the shape of a comet when
      entering the atmosphere, but it was too low and too big to
      be considered a comet."
      Hayward, Cal. is on the east side of San Francisco
      Bay, on Interstate Highway I-880 about 15 miles (25
      kilometers) southeast of San Francisco. (Many thanks to
      John Hoppe of UFO Wisconsin for forwarding this report.)

      GIANT OCTOPUS FOUND IN
      NEW ZEALAND WATERS

      "New Zealand scientists have identified what they say

      is the largest octopus ever seen: a 13-foot (4-meter)
      giant caught in a trawler's net near the Chatham Islands"
      off the coast of the South Pacific nation.
      "The dead animal was badly damaged, but scientists
      estimate it weighed 154 to 165 pounds and was caught at a
      depth of more than 3,000 feet (900 meters)."
      (See USA Today for March 29, 2002, "Giant octopus found
      near New Zealand islands," page 15A.)
      (Editor's Note: Although giant octopodes--some as large
      as a three-story building--have been described by sailors
      worldwide through the centuries, this specimen is the
      largest octopus known to and recognized by science.)

      READER FEEDBACK:

      NOT ITALY'S FIRST ABDUCTION

      Edoardo Russo of Centro Italiano di Studi Ufologici
      (CISU) writes, "Hello, Joseph and John! There has been a
      misunderstanding due to translation problems." (See UFO
      Roundup, volume 7, number 11 for March 12, 2002, "Italy
      reports its first alien abduction.")
      "'The first report of its type' meant the first time
      a report of its type was filled out at a police office by
      the 'kidnapped' man himself. We've had our share of
      abduction reports in Italy, although this is the first
      time that an abductee stepped into a police office to make
      that claim."

      From the UFO Files...

      1979: UNUSUAL PHENOMENON
      IN MISSISSIPPI

      Number 9169 Tulane Road in Southaven, a small town in

      De Soto County, Mississippi, has one claim to fame in that
      it's "just down the road from Graceland," Elvis Presley's
      palatial mansion, located just across the state line in
      Memphis, Tennessee.
      But in March 1979, the modest home suddenly became
      the site of the strangest poltergeist outbreak in the
      history of Mother Dixie.
      It all began the evening of Saturday, March 31, 1979
      when "Bert Gross, 54, who lives with his children, ages 13
      to 24,...was sitting with some kids, watching TV and
      generally taking things easy."
      Suddenly, "flying insects began to attack them. Then

      a decorative pillow flew off the couch in the corner of
      the room and landed about eight feet away, near the
      opposite wall."
      "Things dveloped rapidly after that. A coal-burning
      heater in the room collapsed. The portable black-and-
      white TV set crashed to the floor from the dresser. So
      did the alarm clock. The dresser drawers opened and
      emptied themselves. Tennis balls flew about. A hunk of
      hardened adobe being used to plug a hole around the pipe
      from the heater came loose and flew across the room."
      "The strange events continued until around 11:30
      p.m., Gross told Don Winbush (a reporter) of the Memphis,
      Tenn. Commercial-Appeal. An upright freezer in the
      adjoining kitchen made a 90-degree turn. Kitchen chairs,
      tables, utensils, a canister of sugar and a jar of
      spaghetti sauce moved about."
      "A De Soto County sheriff's deputy watched the
      objects flying around on Sunday (April 1, 1979) and
      decided it was not a job the law could cope with."
      "Winbush also saw the strange goings-on....A chicken
      being thawed for dinner flew off the kitchen table and
      crashed onto the floor. Other flying objects included
      Gross's Size 8 1/2 work boots, a butcher knife, a
      flashlight and other items from the front porch."
      "Gilbert Hines, 58, who lives nearby, said, 'I was
      drinking a can of beer this morning (a Sunday) and a
      pillow came around the corner, it looked like to me, and
      it hit me in the leg. Now that's the truth if I ever told
      it. I wouldn't have believed it myself if I hadn't seen
      it.'"
      "Three weeks later, things were still happening at
      the Gross home, after a brief lull. On Saturday, April 15
      (1979), a woodburning stove suddenly collapsed, spilling
      its
      smoldering contents onto the kitchen floor."
      "The night before (Friday, April 14, 1979) dirt flew
      across the front room of the house. Both the refrigerator
      and the freezer moved during the night."
      Having lost their stove, the Gross family took to
      cooking their meals on the backyard barbecue grille. Mr.
      Gross vowed "to stay until it runs us out." The family
      finally moved, and the phenomena petered out, leaving the
      researchers--as usual--scratching their heads in
      bewilderment. (See the Memphis, Tenn. Commercial Appeal
      for April 17, 1979. Also Fate magazine for November
      1979, "Things A-Flying," pages 10 to 12.)
      (Editor's Note: Memphis, Tenn. is notorious for its
      haunts. In addition to "the Vatican of Elvisology,"
      Graceland, there's the old Brinkley Female College, the
      Orpheum Theatre on Beale Street and the antebellum mansion
      in South Hills which last year experienced a series of
      unexplained fires.)

      Well, that's it for this week. Join us in seven days

      for more UFO, Fortean and paranormal news from around the
      planet Earth, brought to you by "the paper that goes
      home--UFO Roundup." See you then.

      UFO ROUNDUP: Copyright 2002 by Masinaigan Productions, all
      rights reserved. Readers may post news items from UFO
      Roundup on their websites and in news groups provided that
      they credit the newsletter and its editor by name and list
      the date of issue in which the item first appeared.

      or use the Sighting Report Form at:

      http://ufoinfo.com/forms/form_sighting.htm

      UFOINFO: http://ufoinfo.com

      Official Archives of UFO Roundup, AUFORN Australian
      UFO Reports and Experiences, UFO + PSI Magazine, plus
      archives of Filer's Files, Oz Files, UFO News UK and
      UFO Sightings Italia.