Fwd = [MeteorShowers] Comet Ikeya-Zhang and the Lyrids

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2002
      Originally from: "starwanderer.geo" <starparty@...>
      Original Subject: [MeteorShowers] Comet Ikeya-Zhang and the Lyrids
      Original Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 04:53:43 -0000

      I'd normally wait until later in the month to send out this message
      about the Lyrids, but I wanted to alert you to a rare visitor to our
      skies, Comet Ikeya-Zhang.

      Ikeya-Zhang is a comet that you can spot from dark skies with your
      naked eye, but it's even better in binoculars if you have some. For
      those of us in the northern hemisphere, Ikeya-Zhang can been seen low
      in the NW about the time Venus is setting. Venus will be the
      brightest object you can see in the west. Look for a fuzzy patch of
      light to the right and a bit above Venus. I've created a JPG of the
      sky surrounding the comet as it will appear tomorrow evening for
      someone near 35 degrees north latitude. You can find this image at:

      http://www.geocities.com/~starwanderer/meteor.htm

      Just go to the page and click on the Current Visible Comets link.
      I'll update the image often during the next few weeks.

      April has one major meteor shower, the Lyrids. This year the Lyrids
      are scheduled to peak on Monday morning, April 22nd and the best
      viewing time for this shower will be between the hours of moonset and
      dawn.

      The radiant of the shower is still fairly low at midnight and it will
      rise higher in the northeastern sky as dawn approaches. With this
      shower, you will want to skip observing on Sunday night and arise two
      or three hours before dawn on Monday. Find yourself a comfortable
      chair and look toward the northeastern sky. Although Lyrids can
      appear anywhere in the sky, most of the activity from this shower
      will probably be concentrated in the northeast.

      2002 is a fairly good year for the Lyrids despite the phase of the
      Moon. The Moon will be 74% illuminated and it will not set until a
      few hours before dawn, but the radiant for this shower rises late and
      it is only at its best during the few hours before dawn anyway and by
      that time the Moon will have set.

      Shortcut URL to the group page:

      Shortcut URL to the Meteor Showers in 2002 page:
      http://www.geocities.com/~starwanderer/meteor.htm