Fwd = Universe Today #539 - February 7, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 7, 2002
      Originally from: "Universe Today" <info@...>
      Original Subject: Universe Today #539 - February 7, 2002
      Original Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 15:14:39 -0800

      the
      U N I V E R S E
      T O D A Y

      Space Exploration News From Around the Internet
      Updated Every Weekday.

      February 7, 2002 - Issue #539
      http://www.universetoday.com
      info@...

      An HTML version including pictures is available at:
      http://www.universetoday.com

      For information on unsubscribing or changing your email address, check the
      bottom of this newsletter.

      **************************************

      -- UNIVERSE TODAY STORY SUMMARY --

      * Io's Curse Plagues Me Again
      * Odyssey Deploys Communications Antenna
      * Hubble Reveals Backwards Galaxy
      * Entire Earth Imaged

      IO'S CURSE PLAGUES ME AGAIN
      -------------------------
      As many of noticed, I misidentified Io as Saturn's moon in the last issue of
      Universe Today. Of course it's Jupiter's moon, and yes, I should have known
      better, but if you look back at a few of the mistakes I've made in the last
      few weeks, you'll see an unnerving trend.

      In a previous newsletter I said that Io was Jupiter's closest moon. It's not,
      that's Metis. I also said that after making a final pass of Io, the Galileo
      spacecraft would be plunged into Jupiter later in January. Uh, no, Fraser,
      that's going to happen in September 2003.

      Sure, mistakes happen - I make my share. But they've all been Io-related.
      Coincidence? I think not! So, watch my words carefully when I mention Io;
      believe only half of what I say.

      I leave it up to you to figure out which half.

      Fraser Cain, Publisher
      Universe Today

      ODYSSEY DEPLOYS COMMUNICATIONS ANTENNA
      -------------------------
      NASA's Mars Odyssey spacecraft deployed its high-gain antenna on
      Tuesday night, establishing a high-speed connection between the
      spacecraft and controllers back on Earth. Flight controllers
      tested the boom to ensure it can communicate with different
      locations on Earth and then pronounced the deployment
      "successful". Science instruments on the spacecraft are expected
      to begin collecting data later this month.

      http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/releases/2002/release_2002_32.html

      HUBBLE REVEALS BACKWARDS GALAXY
      -------------------------
      The latest image released from the Hubble Space Telescope shows
      a spiral galaxy that seems to be rotating in the wrong
      direction. Astronomers expected that galaxy NGC 4622, located
      111 million light-years away in the constellation Centaurus,
      should rotate counter-clockwise but it actually goes clockwise.
      It's believed that the galaxy consumed a smaller companion
      galaxy recently which helped reverse its spin.

      http://oposite.stsci.edu/pubinfo/PR/2002/03/index.html

      ENTIRE EARTH IMAGED
      -------------------------
      NASA has released a new set of photographs which form the most
      detailed true- colour image of the entire Earth ever created.
      The photographs are taken at a resolution of 1km and include the
      land, seas and even clouds and sea ice. Much of the data for
      this image was gathered by NASA's Terra satellite, from an
      altitude of 700km. An additional image shows actual city lights
      superimposed over a darkened version of the photograph.

      http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Newsroom/BlueMarble/BlueMarble.html

      All contents copyright (c) 2002 Universe Today