UFO ROUNDUP, Volume 7 Number 6

  • John Hayes
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6, 2002
      Posted on behalf of Joseph Trainor.

      <Masinaigan@...>
      ==========================

      UFO ROUNDUP
      Volume 7, Number 6
      February 5, 2002
      Editor: Joseph Trainor

      http://ufoinfo.com/roundup

      ALIEN SKULL CAUSES GREAT
      EXCITEMENT IN BULGARIA

      The mysterious skull and metal fragment found buried
      in the Rhodopes mountain range in southern Bulgaria on May
      21, 2001 are generating a lot of excitement and controversy

      in that southeastern European nation.
      According to Iassen Kobarelov, UFO Roundup
      correspondent in Bulgaria, the news magazine BTA published
      a photo of the skull in the edition that appeared on
      newstands in Sofia on Thursday, January 31, 2002.
      "The mysterious skull of unidentified origin has
      confused Bulgarian scientists and stirred the emotions of
      the fans of extraterrestrial civilizations," Iassen
      reported.
      "The strange skull is as large as a baby's. There
      are
      six cavities (orifices) in it, but none of them resembles a

      mouth. The skull weighs 250 grams and its bones are light,
      " and thinner than the skull bones of the average Homo
      sapiens.
      The skull "was found by a 38-year-old resident of
      Plovdiv," a mid-sized city about 150 kilometers (90 miles)
      southeast of Sofia, "who requested anonymity. He is said
      to have shown his find only to a narrow circle of
      scientists and people with a pronounced interest in the
      paranormal."
      However, Bulgarian archaeologist Katya Malamet has
      disputed the article which originally appeared in the
      Turkish newspaper Milliyet. "Archaeologist Katya Malamet,
      a member of the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, said she had

      never seen such a thing."
      "The director of the Paleontology Museum in
      Asenovgrad, Dimiter Kovachev, is positive that the find is
      no fossil and has no analogy" or resemblance to any hominid

      skull known to science.
      "Anthropologist Prof. Yordan Yordanov believes that
      the skull doesn't look like any human cranium known to
      science for the past 30 million years."
      "In the view of reknowned (Bulgarian) psychic Koubrat

      Tomov, the creature could be a product of the Atlanteans,
      which was created to serve man. He believes that it was a
      scientific experiment which, in all likelihood, had been
      unsuccessful but which can 'overturn the notions of our
      existence on Earth,' Tomov claims."
      "Scientists are not in a hurry to draw categorical
      conclusions before DNA tests and carbon-14 analysis to
      determine the age of the skull" have been made.
      "In addition to the structure of the skull, the metal

      found nearby will be examined, too."
      "However, interest from abroad has already become
      evident. The find's owner admitted to the scientists that
      he had been offered handsome sums of money to sell his
      discovery."
      "'We risk the disappearance of a discovery which
      might
      change the notions of our origins and existence,' said
      Marin Maidenov, president of the Bulgarian Association for
      Astral and Paleontological Contacts."
      The mysterious skull was discovered last year after
      the Plovdiv man had a strange dream in which five aliens,
      dressed in one-piece yellow uniforms, directed him to go to

      a certain spot on Mount Rodop, on the border between
      Bulgaria and Greece, and to dig there. (Many thanks to
      Iassen Kobarelov for this news story.)

      TWO LARGE UFOs SEEN NEAR
      PLAISTOW, NEW HAMPSHIRE

      "Unidentified flying objects are not unusual in
      Rockingham County (New Hampshire) but, at an increasing
      pace over the last decade, UFOs have benn spotted
      performing a gymnast's repertoire of aerial maneuvers."
      "Last Thursday (January 17, 2002) New Hampshire may
      have been visited again."
      "At 10:40 p.m., Fremont (N.H.) Police Officer H.D.
      Wood was dispatched to Main Street to investigate a report
      of two objects hovering silently in the air. The objects
      were described as 'bright and full of lights,' according to

      the police report."
      "Wood had been on these calls before, though his
      department lacks any protocol to follow and the police
      academy does not train cadets for these situations."
      "'Quite frankly, I don't believe it has a policy as
      how to handle this kind of thing,' Wood said, 'I guess it's

      common sense, really.'"
      "Wood said the witness was describing the actions of
      the UFOs as he was enroute. The witness described the
      objects as hovering silently in the air.
      The larger of the two objects flew south toward Sandown.
      The smaller object flew north toward Brentwood. They were
      gone when Wood, assisted by a Brentwood police officer,
      pulled up."
      "'We arrived at the scene and (the witness) said,
      'I'm
      not crazy. I'm not on drugs,'' Wood said."
      "He said the witness and the witness's wife and
      daughter all saw the objects. The witness claimed a
      passing motorist also saw the event but didn't stop."
      "Wood investigated the area, saw no evidence the snow

      had been disturbed and wrote his report. Without other
      witnesses or any physical indication of a visitation, Wood
      said he considers the case closed."
      "'In my mind, if it's unsubstantiated, you call the
      FAA (Federal Aviation Administration--J.T.) to see if there

      are any reports of aircraft in the area,' Wood said. 'Then

      you call other dispatch centers to see if they've gotten
      calls, because what happens is, if something is sighted,
      everyone is going to call.'"
      "Wood said his first reaction when he received the
      call was to seek background on the caller."
      "'To be honest, when I did get the call, I did pull
      up
      my laptop to see if we had any previous contact at the
      address,' Wood said."
      "He describes himself as a skeptic but said he
      absolutely believes that the witness did see something."
      "'I was skeptical at first,' he said, 'Then I
      listened
      to the person discuss the issue and they were very adamant
      that they saw something.'"
      "Fremont Police Chief Neal Janvrin was an officer
      with
      the Exeter (N.H.) Police Department on September 3, 1965,
      the night of New Hampshire's most notorious UFO encounter,
      an incident that became the subject of a book, Incident at
      Exeter (by John G. Fuller--J.T.) That day will be a
      significant day in history for believers in alien
      visitations. It is rare that a police officer can
      substantiate a sighting, but on that day, two of Janvrin's
      fellow officers, Dave Hunt and Gene Bertrand, as well as
      many civilians, would report seeing a large elliptical
      object with red lights around it. The object reportedly
      moved between houses and trees while the lights blinked in
      sequence."
      "Janvrin said he's been on UFO calls before, but he's

      never seen a UFO himself. Janvrin said the only thing an
      officer can do is take a report."
      (See the Rockingham News of Plaistow, N.H. for January 25,
      2002, "Area UFO sightings not yet identified by officers,"
      page 1. Many thanks to Gerry Lovell of Far Shores for
      forwarding this newspaper story.)

      SLOW-MOVING UFO SIGHTED
      IN BIGELOW, ARKANSAS

      On Friday, January 25, 2002, at 8 p.m., Daniel
      Williams was burning brush on his property on Wayne
      Mountain in Bigelow, Arkansas when he noticed an unusual
      black cloud approaching from the west.
      "I was clearing my property, cutting and removing
      small-diameter pine trees and burning them in four-to-five-
      foot (1.5-meter) lengths. Bonfire was five feet in
      diameter, seven-foot-tall (2.2 meter) flames. The sky was
      unusually clear with a three-quarter moon, extremely bright

      as I could walk into my woods and tell which of the trees
      (that) had been cut were pine and which were oak as they
      laid on the ground," Daniel reported.
      "I made a pile of five or six logs on the fire, and
      it
      would burn down, and I would load more, then rest, etc. As

      I was resting, I noticed an airplane blinking at the
      southern horizon. To my right (west) there was a black
      cloud. As I looked, it was gliding towards me to my
      left.
      I guess it was at 600 feet (180 meters), maybe at 1,000
      feet (300 meters), no higher. The moon was reflecting off
      the curves of the nose of it, as it came closer. No
      lights, no blinking as it approached."
      "I thought about getting my wife but by then we both
      would have missed it because I was 400 feet (125 meters) or

      so from the front yard. I stood there and I realized that
      what I was seeing was black or very dark and it was shaped
      so damn strangely. It was shaped like one of those 'candy
      corn' sugary candies, but the front of it was blunt and it
      tapered back to an actual oval."
      "As if drifted by, I could plainly see it. It had no

      windows and no lights. I mean, the streetlights of the
      next street were reflecting on its underside. As it
      continued, I watched the back (the UFO's stern). It had
      two large round, dark red, very dimly lit circles...the
      only way I can describe them is to say that they looked
      like dirty red taillights of an automobile. Then I saw
      that they were surrounded by segmented 'flaps' or raised
      areas that encircled all the way round the red circles.
      The red circle filled each side of the oval rear."
      "I would guess this craft to be 100 feet (30 meters)
      long and 40 feet (12 meters) wide. Also the thing that I
      noticed was that it was cruising with the right side of the

      craft lower than the left side, but it was maintaining a
      straight line (course). It continued on out of sight,
      flowly floating."
      "I realized that I was standing next to my fire, and
      'they' could see me, too. I was numb. I surprised myself
      because I didn't get hysterical."
      "This thing did not look aerodynamic. The front
      wasn't pointed enough. I realized that all airplanes must
      have (navigation) lights, blinking all the time. This had
      nothing but those big eerie dark red burners or whatever."
      Bigelow, Ark. is on the west side of Maumelle Lake,
      which is about 20 miles (32 kilometers) northwest of Little
      Rock, the state capital. (Email Form Report)

      UNUSUAL "COMET STREAK"
      SIGHTED IN MONROE, OHIO

      On Saturday, January 18, 2002, at 9:36 p.m., Phil X.
      "was taking the dogs out" at his home in Monroe, Ohio
      (population 7,133), a town on Highway 63 about 25 miles (40

      kilometers) north of Cincinnati, when he spied an unusual
      object.
      According to Phil's wife, Becky, "who works for the
      local school system...her husband routinely looks into the
      sky and enjoys looking at the stars because he formerly
      worked for NASA. Upon observing the sky, he summoned their
      (his family's) attention to it."
      "Becky's son Chris and five others stood out in their

      driveway and watched the streak-like object hold stationary

      for a lengthy duration." Chris "speculated that the object

      was holding its position at a very high elevation and was
      twice the size of his thumbnail held at arm's length."
      "He described the object as resembling 'a comet's
      streak' but with no distinct head or tail, being brighter
      in the middle part of it. The brightness in the center of
      the streak was described as a dull blue color with each
      edge fading into a neon orange color with a soft
      gradation."
      "Chris also reaffirmed that the object was almost
      directly overhead and described the atmospheric conditions
      as relatively clear with high whispy clouds.
      He said that occasionally the object would be obstructed by

      cloud cover, but the glow could be seen behind the clouds."
      "Chris said that he did not have any film for his
      camera and has no video capability but did observe the sky
      through binoculars. Looking at it through binoculars, he
      said that he could see a second fainter object to the north

      of the main object. This smaller object was a faint blue
      color."
      There have been several UFO sightings in this area
      during the past year, according to Cincinnati ufologist
      Kenneth Young. "In August 2001, one person reported a UFO
      in nearby Springboro. In April 2001, several police
      officers observed a UFO nears Waynesville, Ohio." (Many
      thanks to Kenny Young for this UFO report.)

      UFO PUTS ON A DISPLAY IN
      CENTRAL ARGENTINA

      South America's current UFO flap logged another
      encounter last week, this time in Argentina.
      On Thursday, January 30, 2002, at 5 a.m., two young
      women were walking to work in the small town of Capilla del

      Monte, in the province of Cordoba in central Argentina,
      when they spied an unusual light.
      "A UFO emanating rays of bright light colored yellow,

      blue and white was seen by the two young women in Capilla
      del Monte. The report, which was written in El Diario by
      Jorge Suarez, said the UFO was first seen over the Cerro
      Las Gemelas (hill), provoking terror in both of the
      witnesses. A third witness said the object disappeared as
      it was rising at a dizzying velocity in front of the
      startled gaze of both women." (See NotiOVNI for February
      3, 2002. Muchas gracias a Daniel Munoz para esas
      noticias.)

      CHILEANS PHOTOGRAPH UFOs
      IN LOTA AND CALAMA

      Like its neighbor Argentina, the nation of Chile
      contributed more events last week to South America's
      ongoing UFO flap.
      On Sunday, January 27, 2002, "while engaged in
      filming
      a tourist video, Canal (Channel) 13 cameraman Felipe
      Martinez did not realize that while his (videocam) lens
      picked up the loveliness of the desert landscape" outside
      of Lota, a seaside town on the Golfo de Arauco, nine
      perfectly-shaped UFOs crossed the heavens at full speed.
      The professional cameraman cannot say if these objects were

      alien spaceships, since he had never recorded a similar
      phenomenon before--something so swift and so strange."
      Lota is located about 300 kilometers (180 miles)
      south-
      southwest of Santiago de Chile, the national capital.
      The next day, Monday, January 28, 2002, at 10:30
      p.m.,
      ufologist Jaime Ferrer "photographed a UFO hovering near
      the city of Calama over the Atacama Desert. Using a
      digital camera, Ferrer snapped four images of a green
      sphere moving upward into the sky. Each image was taken at

      one-minute intervals. Ferrer said there was no large
      electric light in that area that could have produced this
      presence, which was very similar to a UFO spotted over
      Calama on September 10, 2001.
      Calama is located in northern Chile, about 700
      kilometers (420 miles) north of Santiago de Chile. The
      small city has been the focal point of UFO sightings and
      landings, alien encounters and sightings of strange c
      creatures such as the Chupacabra and the Mataperro since
      January 2000. (Muchas gracias a Scott Corrales, autor de
      los libros Chupacabras and Other Mysteries y Forbidden
      Mexico, y tambien Rodrigo Cuadra Salazar y Jaime Ferrer
      para esas noticias.)

      UFO SIGHTINGS CONTINUE
      NEAR MEXICO CITY

      On Sunday, January 27, 2002, at 6:30 p.m., Mexican
      ufologist "Pedro Hernandez videotaped a luminous UFO
      performing aerial maneuvers to the north and south of
      Tlacotepec," a suburb located about 40 kilometers (25
      miles) west of Mexico City.
      "According to Hernandez, the UFO gave off a very
      intense light and flew at a very low altitude as was also
      seen by a large proportion of the valley's population. The

      video shows a peculiar object in the evening sky performing

      various maneuvers for three minutes at a great velocity."
      "Later that evening, Hernandez observed seven
      luminous
      objects passing across the sky at intervals of five minutes

      over the (nearby) town of Metepec. An eyewitness reported
      that the strange light cavorted in the night sky, following

      a consistent trajectory. Hernandez grabbed his videocamera

      and taped five of the seven objects, which glowed with the
      intensity of the full moon."
      On Friday, February 1, 2002, the Mexican news show
      Hechos de la Tarde, a production of the Televisora Azteca
      network, "was filming an eruption of Mount Popocatepetl.
      The camera zeroed in on a spectacular fire fountain and a
      backdrop of thick black volcanic smoke. Then the camera
      picked up a sphere of a metallic aspect flying over (Mount)

      Popocatepetl."
      "This was a live broadcast about volcanic activity in

      Mexico. The sighting was broadcast at 3:20 p.m. The
      object was seen flying away to the south."
      Mount Popocatepetl is about 100 kilometers (60 miles)

      southeast of Mexico City and is one of nine Mexican
      volcanoes that are currently active.
      (See NotiOVNI for February 3, 2002. Muchas gracias a
      Daniel Munoz para esas noticias.)

      MISSING WORLD WAR II PLANE
      DISCOVERED IN PANAMA

      "The rusty remains of a U.S. Army plane that
      disappeared with three soldiers aboard during World War II
      have been found in the mountains of western Panama,
      authorities said Saturday," February 3, 2002.
      "The discovery came after officials from the U.S.
      Army's Central Identification Laboratory in Hawaii spent
      more than a month digging in the dense (rain) forests
      outside El Valle de Anton, 65 miles (108 kilometers) west
      of Panama City."
      The twin-engined C-47 cargo plane (military version
      of
      the Douglas DC-3 airliner--J.T.) "was flying from a U.S.
      military base in Rio Hato, just outside El Valle de Anton,
      to the Caribbean city of Colon when it vanished without a
      trace on June 8, 1941."
      "Dozens of search-and-rescue missions in the
      following
      months failed to find the aircraft or its crew."
      (See the Duluth, Minn. News-Tribune for February 4, 2002,
      "Missing WWII plane discovered," page 2A.)
      (Editor's Comment: Apparently the C-47's two Wright Cyclone

      engines failed immediately after takeoff. It'll be
      interesting to see if the present-day U.S. Air Force can
      determine the cause of the crash.)

      ARIZONA UFOLOGIST TO POST
      VIDEO ON HIS WEBSITE

      On Tuesday, January 29, 2002, at 2:30 p.m., ufologist

      Jeff Willes "was at work" in Phoenix, Arizona, "sitting at
      my desk when I looked out my window and to my shock I saw a

      cylinder UFO flying slowly in the sky. I grabbed my Sony
      360x Night Shot videocam and zoomed in. I have been
      videotaping UFOs in Phoenix, Arizona for years now, and
      this is the best I've ever shot. It's going to be hard to
      top this one. At the end of the sighting, the thing shoots

      off like a bat out of hell."
      Jeff said the video will be available on his website
      "in a few days." Readers can access Jeff's site at
      http://beam.at/phoenixufos (Many thanks to Jeff Willes
      for this report.)

      A MYSTERIOUS CAVE AT
      CADOUIN, FRANCE

      "Sarah Howard and her husband, John, were looking for

      a second home when they ventured from England in the summer

      of 1999 to the Dordogne Valley, a place where they could
      retire one day to enjoy the earthy pleasures of rural
      France."
      "For about $270,000 (USA dollars) they found just
      what
      they were looking for: a two-bedroom stone mill house on
      about 10 acres of land, a pond and a lake. It was near the

      town of Cadouin, a place to which pilgrims once flocked to
      view what they were told was the Shroud of Turin, said to
      bear the image of Christ's face."
      "But then in October 2000, after returning from a
      trip, the couple was reading through the mail that had
      piled up in their French home when they spotted a letter
      from the French Ministry of Culture. The Howards
      discovered that they happened to be the proud owners of
      land atop a Paleolithic-era cave that contained wall
      etchings and human skeletal remains dating back between
      25,000 and 30,000 years."
      "'The letter said this cave had been discovered on
      our
      property,' said John Howard, who grew up in Chicago's
      Beverly neighborhood and in Oak Park (Illinois)."
      "But this was not just any cave. The Dordogne
      Valley,
      a place that was home to prehistoric human beings, is rich
      in such cave dwellings. The world-reknowned cave at
      Lascaux is perhaps the best known. But the cave discovered

      on the Howards' property turned out to be something
      extraordinary."
      "First, what were found were not the kind of cave
      paintings and drawings normally found on the walls of
      Dordogne caves but rather etchings carved into the soft
      limestone walls. Some of the images were those of
      animals--
      bison, horses, mammoths--that are almost universally found
      in the area. But in addition there were figures of human
      females who appear to be pregnant, some sort of fertility
      symbols. There are also etchings of female genitalia."
      "'We appear to have Paleolithic pornography,' Howard
      said."
      "French authorities have said these are among the
      first such images found in Dordogne caves."
      "The Howards' cave saga began on September 30, 2000
      when a Frenchman named Marc Delluc, a member of the
      Dordogne area spelunker club, was nosing around the
      countryside near Cadouin and noticed what looked like a
      cave entrance as he walked near the Howards' house."
      "The entrance had been sealed by a rock fall, Sarah
      Howard recounted."
      "'But he cleared it enough to crawl inside at
      incredible risk to his life,' she said."
      "Delluc pressed on through the narrow cave entryway
      until the opening widened and he was able to see that he
      had happened upon a major find."
      "Delluc contacted French authorities who ordered
      further exploration and eventually invited the Howards to
      explore the treasures buried beneath the property where
      they had hoped to spend their golden years."
      "'It (the cavern) was huge,' Sarah Howard said, 'It
      is
      40 feet (12 meters) high.'"
      "According to the French Ministry of Culture, the
      cave
      spans an area of about one-half by one mile (0.8 by 1.6
      kilometers)."
      "Howard described how she and her husband, with the
      help of French cave experts, used ladders, flashlights and
      headlamps in the pitch dark. She said the walls and the
      floor of the cave were damp."
      "'It was rather slippery,' she said, adding that it
      was clear that the French government would not be able to
      develop the cave for tourism since it appeared too
      dangerous."
      "The Ministry of Culture reports that even with the
      limited amount of exploration done on the cave--it is
      called Grotte de Cussac--more than 100 complete, or
      partial, figures have been counted. Not only is the style
      of etching unusual, but the presence of figures of birds is
      quite rare. The same is true of the female silhouettes and

      other sexual representations."
      "A portion of the cave seems to have been a burial
      site, the ministry concluded. There are several
      depressions where the skeletal remains are gathered, one of

      which contains an almost complete collection of human
      bones."
      "After they had been made aware of the cave
      discovery,
      the Howards were sworn to secrecy by the French government
      so that the Ministry of Culture could make a grand
      announcement in the regional capital of the Dordogne,
      Perigueux." (See the Chicago Tribune for January 29, 2002,

      "Two bedrooms, 10 acres, one paleolithic-era cave," section

      5, pages 1 and 3.)
      (Editor's Comment: It looks like Grotte de Cussac might
      have been an initiation cave for a Paleolithic "Earth
      Mother Goddess" religion, predating the worship of Cybele
      in pre-Roman Gaul by tens of thousands of years. There are

      similar sites right here in the Americas, too, such as El
      Arbolillo and Zacatenco, just north of Mexico City and the
      pre-Incaic ruins at Huaco Toledo, near Cajamarquilla, north

      of Lima, Peru.)

      From the UFO Files...

      1972: DAYLIGHT DISC LANDS
      NEAR NAZCA, PERU

      Thirty years ago, on February 3, 1972, one of Peru's
      most famous UFO encounters took place. It happened in
      broad daylight and the saucer's alien occupant was seen by
      the two human witnesses.
      It all began early that morning in Puquilo, a desert
      town about 500 kilometers (300 miles) south of Lima. Tito
      Rojas and Adolfo Penafiel owned a feed store, and they had
      a delivery to make that day. So before the hot summer sun
      climbed too high in the cloudless blue sky, the men loaded
      up the flatbed of Tito's pickup truck and set out for
      Nazca, some 50 kilometers (30 miles) to the north.
      (Editor's Note: In Peru, as in other countries of the
      southern hemisphere, February is a summer month.)
      With the truck's windows rolled all the way down,
      hoping to catch a breeze off the Pacific Ocean, Tito and
      Adolfo drove north on the Pan-American Highway. On both
      sides of the road, a monocolor landscape of brown sand and
      jagged rocks met their gaze, with the rugged cordillera
      rising on their right.
      As they were crossing the desolate Pampa Carbonera
      south of Nazca, the truck's radio, which had been tuned to
      a station in Arequipa, began to act up. The Latino music
      faded in and out. Bursts of static obliterated the
      music.
      Finally, the radio started emitting just static, and then
      it went silent.
      "Not again!" Tito said, and he thumped the dashboard

      with his right fist.
      "Maybe it's the antenna," Adolfo suggested.
      Suddenly, the pickup truck's engine began missing on
      all cylinders.
      "Now, what!?" Tito swore, stepping down hard on the
      gas pedal.
      The engine raced, but the truck didn't respond.
      Swiveling the stickshift, Tito tried for a lower gear. The

      engine continued to sputter and cough. Finally, it quit
      completely, and Tito coasted over to the sandy shoulder of
      the highway.
      "It might be the gas filter," Adolfo said, as they
      left the truck's cab.
      "I think it's the battery," Tito replied, "The radio
      is out. So is the door light. I hope it's a bad
      connection."
      "Why do you say that?"
      "Because if we need water, we've got enough," Tito
      said, gesturing at the leather bota (water jug--J.T.)
      dangling from the gunrack. "But it will take all day and
      all night if it has to recharge by itself."
      Lifting the hood (bonnet in UK--J.T.), Tito licked
      his
      thumb and pinky finger and touched the battery's
      terminals. He let out a fierce yelp.
      "Madre de Dios!" He shook his hand ginerly. "That
      wasn't the problem."
      Adolfo, who had been looking toward the rugged
      quebradas of the coast range, pointed suddenly. "Look!"
      "Look at what?" the driver replied.
      "Out there on the pampa." Adolfo squinted against
      the
      morning sun's glare. "I think it's a car."
      "A car!? Out there!?" Exasperated, Tito turned to
      that direction. "You're seeing things. There's no way a
      car could have driven..."
      Tito let the rest trail off. He had seen it, too. A

      silvery gleam in the midst of the dwarf sand dunes.
      Shading his eyes, he added, "You're right. There's
      something out there. What the hell is that!?"
      "Let's find out," Adolfo said, slip-sliding down the
      highway embankment, kicking up a miniature avalanche of
      pebbles and sand.
      The two feed dealers hiked across the desert. As
      they
      closed in on the spot, the sun dazzle lessned, becoming a
      shiny gleam on the mirror-like silver surface of a large
      disc.
      Excitement had Adolfo's heart
      pounding. "Caramba! Un
      disco volante!"
      It was a flying saucer, all right. What ufologists
      call "a daylight disc." The object rested on a tricycle
      landing gear. There was no sign of any lights, windows or
      openings. Later they described the craft as 15 meters (50
      feet) long and four meters (13 feet) high. Its surface was

      so highly polished that their gaze rebounded painfully from

      the sun's reflection.
      At that moment, to add to their surprise, the craft's

      occupant rounded the front of the saucer. Adolfo described

      the alien as "a man of average height, wearing green
      clothes under a transparent space suit."
      Instantly Tito and Adolfo began running towards the
      saucer. They hurried "to the place to greet the strange
      visitor. But as soon as he saw them, he stopped his
      inspection of the pampa and took off."
      "The saucer rose into the air with a shrill metallic
      whine, a sound familiar to the people who live in the area,

      which would seem to indicate that the pampa is a landing
      field for extraterrestrials."
      Tito and Adolfo watched as the disc rose into the sky

      at a nearly vertical angle and disappeared. After it was
      gone, they returned to the truck. On impulse, Tito put the

      key in the ignition, pumped the gas pedal and switched on.
      The truck's engine responded without hesitation. The

      Arequipa radio station came back loud and clear.
      The Tito Rojas/Adolfo Penafiel case was the first of
      Peru's great UFO flap of the early 1970s. Before it was
      over, Peruvian ufologists "counted two hundred and fourteen

      (214) 'reliable' sightings in 1973. In more than ninety
      (90) percent of them, the saucers were piloted by beings
      who seemed human except for their size and the color of
      their skin. In eighteen (18) cases, the pilots appeared to

      be robots."
      (See The Mysteries of the Andes by Robert Charroux, Avon
      Books, New York, N.Y., 1977, page 171. Also Reparaz's
      Guide to Peru, Ediciones de Arte Rep, Editoriales Unidas
      S.A., Lima, Peru, 1974, pages 210 to 215.)
      (Editor's Comment: I made my first trip to Peru in July
      1973, at the tail end of this flap, and "los OVNIs" were
      the topic of conversation in the Callejon de Huaylas.
      But I didn't encounter any Hermanos Espaciales (Space
      Brothers). Not even Jelu...darn it!)

      We'll be back next week with more UFO, Fortean and
      paranormal news from around the planet Earth, brought to
      you by "the paper that goes home--UFO Roundup." See you
      then!

      UFO ROUNDUP: Copyright 2002 by Masinaigan Productions, all
      rights reserved. Readers may post news items from UFO
      Roundup on their websites or in newsgroups provided that
      they credit the newsletter and its editor by name and list
      the date of issue in which the news item first appeared.

      or use the Sighting Report Form at:

      http://ufoinfo.com/forms/form_sighting.htm

      UFOINFO: http://ufoinfo.com

      Official Archives of UFO Roundup, AUFORN Australian
      UFO Reports and Experiences, UFO + PSI Magazine, plus
      archives of Filer's Files, Oz Files, and UFO News UK.