Fwd = Is There Life Beyond Earth? / 30 Billion Earths?

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 29, 2002
      Originally from: spacenews@...
      Original Subject: Today on SPACE.com -- Tuesday, January 29, 2002
      Original Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 08:23:48 -0500

      Today on SPACE.com -- Tuesday, January 29, 2002 -- http://www.space.com/

      Today in Science/Astronomy:

      * 5 Great Cosmic Mysteries: Is There Life Beyond Earth?
      http://www.space.com/news/cosmic_life_020129-1.html

      It's an amazing, electrifying, even terrifying feeling: Stare
      into a starry night sky and ask yourself if someone, or
      something, might be staring back. Just the thought is enough to
      make the hair on the back of your neck stand up. But even now,
      after centuries of wondering, and decades of actively
      looking, humans still don't know the answer.

      * 30 Billion Earths? New Estimate of Exoplanets in Our Galaxy
      http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/astronomy/jupiter_typical_020128.html

      Chances are you haven't spent a whole lot of time wondering how
      many Jupiter- like planets exist in our galaxy. But Charley
      Lineweaver has, because it bears on a more important question:
      How many potentially habitable planets are there?

      * Horsehead Nebula Captured In Stunning New Detail
      http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/astronomy/horsehead_eso_020128.html

      The famous Horsehead Nebula has been captured in unprecedented
      detail in new images from the European Southern Observatory
      (ESO)'s Very Large Telescope (VLT).