Fwd = Cattle mutilations back

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2002
      http://www.greatfallstribune.com/news/stories/20020103/topstories/1410092.html , January 3, 2002
      Original Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 14:14:50 -0000

      Thursday, January 3, 2002

      Cattle mutilations back

      Ranchers, lawmen baffled by crime wave

      By KATIE OYAN
      Tribune Staff Writer
      _____

      CONRAD -- This is the kind of d�ja vu Everett King could do without.

      About 15 years ago, he discovered the grisly remains of one of his
      cattle that had died mysteriously.

      In October, it happened again.

      King said it looked as though a surgeon had sliced into his 7-year-old
      Charolais, the way its right eye and ear were cut off -- not to mention
      the way its reproductive organs had been cored.

      What King finds most unusual, however, is that two months later the
      carcass lies right where he found it, untouched.

      "Predators won't eat it," said King, who ranches outside Valier, south
      of Lake Frances. "It should have been cleaned up and gone a long time
      ago."

      Ranchers reported four mutilations between June and August. Since then,
      there have been 11 more, and investigators are still searching for
      answers.

      The same bizarre circumstances haunted area ranchers and baffled law
      enforcement 20 years ago, sparking rumors about UFOs, cults and
      government conspiracies.

      The mutilations went away in the '90s but began again this summer.

      The most recent victim -- a 12-year-old Hereford -- turned up earlier
      this month on a ranch northwest of Conrad.

      "They skinned off the belly from her front legs to her back legs all the
      way around," Pondera County Sheriff's Deputy Dan Campbell said. "The
      complete bag was removed."

      The last few mutilations occurred within three miles of each other in
      the Dry Forks area, about 10 or 15 miles west of Conrad.

      In October, members of the New Miami Colony, 18 miles west of Conrad,
      discovered two mutilated cows at the same time, about 30 yards apart.

      The scenes were remarkably similar to mutilations ranchers reported here
      more than a decade ago, Campbell said.

      Most of the cows had the skin scraped off their faces. Often, the
      tongue, one eye and all or part of an ear had been removed. Part of the
      udder usually was cut off, as well as the genitals. And in most cases,
      the anus had been cored.

      A majority of the cows were 4 or 5; one was missing its teeth.

      In the late '70s, a high volume of alleged mutilations in southwestern
      states prompted a federally funded investigation. The resulting 300-page
      report concluded that animal predators were responsible.

      Although some dismiss the Pondera County deaths as a hoax or chalk them
      up to natural causes and predators, Campbell and fellow investigator
      Sheriff's Deputy Dick Dailey say they aren't convinced.

      Cuts on the cows are often circular or oval and -- as with Everett
      King's Charolais -- seem to be made with surgical precision.

      The animals seem to bloat faster than normal, and their missing hide
      doesn't reflect the work of predators, Campbell said.

      "I've never seen an animal eat just the face off a cow when there's lots
      of other stuff to go after," he said.

      One mutilated cow looked like it had been burned. Another seemed to have
      bruises around its neck as though it had been strangled. One had a long
      cut with a perfectly ridged edge, as though the hide had been sliced
      with a tool similar to pinking shears.

      Also strange is that in most cases, no tracks or footprints were
      detected around the animals' bodies, even in mud or snow.

      A misconception is that the cows have been drained of blood. Natural
      coagulation only makes it look like the creatures' fluids have been
      drained, Dailey said.

      Dailey, who lives in Dupuyer, spent several nights this fall camped out
      in dark fields, trying to catch the culprit in the act. He has reviewed
      all the facts and checked out dozens of Web sites looking for answers.

      Still, nothing.

      "I've read everything I can read on it, and I really don't know what in
      the heck it is," he said.

      Ranchers aren't sure what to think, either.

      In September, Jim VandenBos discovered the body of one of his $850
      2-year-old Angus lying dead in his pasture.

      The right side of its face was skinned, and the exposed jawbone was so
      smooth it looked like it had been polished, VandenBos said.

      Its tongue was cut off along with its right ear, eye and reproductive
      organs. A tennis-ball-sized patch of skin on its shoulder was hard like
      plastic.

      Again, coyotes -- even other cattle -- steered clear.

      VandenBos has been ranching southwest of Valier for more than 30 years
      and remembers the last wave of mutilations well.

      "It's kind of a spooky thing," he said. "I haven't worried about it too
      much because it's something I can't control - but I'd like to find an
      explanation."

      Toward the end of October, a neighbor found the 750-pound steer that
      died in Glen and Ruby Bouma's dry creek bed, three miles west of Conrad.

      "There was a little trail of grass pushed up like it was shoved up
      underneath it," Ruby Bouma said.

      The hide was missing from the calf's stomach and its reproductive organs
      were gone, but there were no tracks, no bullet holes and no claw marks.

      The calf, No. 55, was almost a year old and was worth about $600. It was
      one of the friendliest animals the Boumas owned.

      A local vet said it died of dust pneumonia, but Glen and Ruby have their
      doubts.

      "That's possible, because it's so dry," Ruby Bouma said. "But I think we
      would have known if it was sick. We took special notice because it was
      one of two calves that were like pets to us. It would come up and smell
      your hand or your pantleg."

      The whole thing is peculiar, if you ask the Boumas. When a cow dies of
      natural causes, for instance, predators will usually chew into its
      flesh.

      Glen and Ruby's calf was missing only its hide. And when they checked on
      Thanksgiving Day, predators still were keeping their distance.

      Some folks in the area think the U.S. Air Force or aliens are behind the
      mutilations, but not Ruby.

      "I'm sorry, but I personally think it's somebody local ... that's doing
      it for kicks," she said.

      One difficulty local investigators have encountered in cracking the case
      is gathering evidence.

      After two or three days, collecting evidence becomes a lost cause
      because the cattle are so badly decomposed.

      And in the summer, carcasses rot faster and often go undiscovered for
      weeks.

      "We have to fight time," Campbell said. "We're hoping that this time of
      year, ranchers are gathering and feeding every day so we'll get a better
      jump on them and come up with some more clues."

      Pondera sheriff's deputies also are hoping a Nevada laboratory will
      answer some of their questions.

      This fall, Campbell and Dailey chopped the head off a mutilated cow,
      packed it in dry ice and shipped it to the National Institute for
      Discovery Science in Las Vegas.

      The privately funded institute pays scientists and retired police
      officers to investigate bizarre phenomena including mutilations and UFO
      sightings.

      A spokesman from the institute said researchers are nearly finished with
      their study and will be sending a copy of the report to the Pondera
      County sheriff's office in a couple of weeks.

      "If they could come up with something, that would really help us,"
      Dailey said.

      Until investigators reach a satisfactory conclusion, theories continue
      to spread through local coffee shops and bars.

      Some say the mutilations are a government ploy to get Montanans' minds
      off global issues. Others finger satanic cults or spaceships.

      Most say they don't believe in all that eerie X-Files stuff. But even
      some of the staunchest skeptics are beginning to wonder.

      "I just can't believe little men are coming from outer space," said
      Conrad resident Jack Rowekamp, a retired bus driver and custodian. "But
      I guess you never know."