Fwd = MoD established secret UFO investigation group

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2002
      Original Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 11:18:57 -0800

      Ananova

      MoD established secret UFO investigation group

      Official papers have revealed the Ministry of Defence set up a secret
      flying saucer working party in the 1950s.

      The papers show the group involved experts from the Directorate of
      Scientific Intelligence and the Joint Technical Intelligence
      Committee.

      It was established in 1951 after a spate of sightings in Sweden and
      the US led to a "notable outbreak" of reports in Britain.

      However, the scientists gave short shrift to the idea that the earth
      was facing an alien invasion from space, dismissing the claims as
      "optical illusions and psychological delusions" - or just plain
      hoaxes.

      "We consider that no progress will be made by attempting further
      investigation of unco-ordinated and subjective evidence, and that
      positive results could only be obtained by organising throughout the
      country, or the world, continuous observation of the skies by a
      co-ordinated network of visual observers, equipped with photographic
      apparatus, and supplemented by a network of radar stations and sound
      locators," they concluded.

      "We should regard this, on the evidence so far available, as a
      singularly profitless enterprise."

      The papers, being made public for the first time, went on: "We
      accordingly recommend very strongly that no further investigation of
      reported mysterious aerial phenomena be undertaken, unless and until
      some material evidence becomes available."

      One of the cases they looked at was RAF Flight Lieutenant Hubbard who
      twice claimed to have seen "a flat disc, light pearl grey in colour,
      about 50 feet in diameter" flying low over Farnborough at speeds to
      800 to 1,000 mph.

      The scientists drily noted: "We find it impossible to believe that a
      most unconventional aircraft, of exceptional speed, could have
      travelled at no great altitude, in the middle of a fine summer
      morning, over a populous and air-minded district like Farnborough,
      without attracting the attention of more than one observer."

      Story filed: 17:14 Wednesday 2nd January 2002

      Copyright � 2002 Ananova Ltd