Fw: Th e New Energy Report: AEI Newsletter #63, 12/1/01

  • DGW
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2001
      From: Alternative Energy Institute
      To: walkerdg@...
      Sent: Saturday, December 01, 2001 1:54 PM
      Subject: Th e New Energy Report: AEI Newsletter #63, 12/1/01

      Check out AEI's exciting new book "Turning the Corner: Energy Solutions for the 21st Century." It's your roadmap to the coming energy revolution! Read a FREE sample chapter and order it here!: http://www.altenergy.org/book/book.html

      NEW ENERGY REPORT #63

      SOLAR UTILITY IN A BACKPACK
      The U.S. Army is testing one at its South Pole station. Greenpeace International has ordered some for use in India. A solar power unit that can be carried in a backpack was created by a Portland, Oregon, inventor and is already making its way around the world. The Solar Power Pack contains a folding monocrystalline solar panel, battery, controller, plugs, cords and light. It weighs only 24 pounds but provides users with 120 watt-hours of power a day.
      ----------
      Find out more using our quick link page:
      http://www.altenergy.org/news/newsletter63/newsletter63.html

      ICELAND: THE HYDROGEN ECONOMY
      As the first country to make a real effort to become free of fossil fuels, Iceland is now poised to play pasha to the global explorers of renewable energy. Iceland is an ideal test bed for hydrogen power. Two-thirds of the country's energy consumption already comes from clean, renewable hydroelectric and geothermal energy. By using methods first pioneered by Professor Arnason in the 1970s, this clean energy can be harnessed to produce hydrogen for fuel cells in nonpolluting electric motors.
      ----------
      Find out more using our quick link page:
      http://www.altenergy.org/news/newsletter63/newsletter63.html

      SOLAR POWER WINS BIG IN SAN FRANCISCO
      In a major overhaul of their power system, San Francisco voters have approved a $100 million bond to fund the nation's biggest solar power project in one of the country's most famously foggy cities. The main solar power initiative won by a landslide 73-to-26 percent margin. Under its provisions, the city will move ahead with plans to issue a $100 million revenue bond to install 10 megawatts of solar and 30 megawatts of wind power generation on city property, moves which should supply about one quarter of all the power consumed by city government.
      ----------
      Find out more using our quick link page:
      http://www.altenergy.org/news/newsletter63/newsletter63.html

      LIVING 'OFF THE GRID'
      Independence and concern for the environment are important to East Mountain residents Ronn and Elizabeth Bell. When they decided to move to the mountains they chose some property that is surrounded by pine trees but doesn't have commercial electricity. The Bells are among many East Mountain residents who live "off the grid." Their home is powered by solar panels, along with a battery bank that stores the electricity and a gasoline-powered electric generator for the winter months. The Bells rely on energy-efficient adobe walls and a wood stove to keep them warm, and they store water in a 1,600-gallon tank in their basement. The water from their sinks and bathtub flow into an underground gravel pit that filters the water like a wetland.
      ----------
      Find out more using our quick link page:
      http://www.altenergy.org/news/newsletter63/newsletter63.html

      AEI ALLY SPOTLIGHT: THE WORLD RESOURCES INSTITUTE
      The World Resources Institute provides information and practical solutions to foster change that will lead to "environmentally sound, socially equitable development." Each of WRI's programs addresses particular issues, from Economics to Forests and Business Liaison to national strategies for environmental and resource management. WRI is a non-profit organization with a staff of 113 from over 50 countries and a Board of Directors that represents 11 countries.
      ----------
      Find out more using our quick link page:
      http://www.altenergy.org/news/newsletter63/newsletter63.html

      GREENLIGHT AWARD: THE CENTER FOR A NEW AMERICAN DREAM
      The mission of The Center for a New American Dream is to help Americans change the way they consume to improve quality of life, protect the environment, and promote social justice. The traditional American Dream once focused on greater security, opportunity and happiness. Increasingly, that dream has been supplanted by an extraordinary emphasis on acquisition. The recent commercial definition of the American Dream has hidden costs for the environment, our quality of life, and our efforts to create a just and equitable society. Their slogan "More Fun Less Stuff" speaks to the heart of their goals.
      Find out more using our quick link page:
      http://www.altenergy.org/news/newsletter63/newsletter63.html

      This free electronic newsletter is published by the Alternative Energy Institute, Inc., a non-profit educational organization. New Energy Report highlights the latest trends in the rapidly changing field of energy. Tell your friends to sign up now.
      http://www.altenergy.org
      Search AEI's publication archives at:
      www.altenergy.org/News/news.html