Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Fwd = [fantasticreality] Anomalous coincidences (long)

Expand Messages
  • Frits Westra
    Forwarded by: fwestra@hetnet.nl (Frits Westra) Originally from: fantasticreality@yahoogroups.com Original Subject: [fantasticreality] Digest Number 371
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 11, 2001
      Forwarded by: fwestra@... (Frits Westra)
      Originally from: fantasticreality@yahoogroups.com
      Original Subject: [fantasticreality] Digest Number 371
      Original Date: 11 Nov 2001 01:12:39 -0000

      ========================== Forwarded message begins ======================

      Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 13:51:02 -0500
      From: "T. Peter Park" <tpeterpark@...>
      Subject: Anomalous coincidences---was Re: Peter's sighting date

      Dear Loren, Fantasticrealists, Mythfolks, and All,
      For your information in connection with the curious coincidences of
      dates, names, etc., so often found in anomalous, "Fortean," and
      UFO-related incidents, I am sending the following excerpts describing a
      few such coincidences from my article "Reading the Strangeness:
      Second-Order Anomalies," originally published in THE ANOMALIST, No. 8
      (Spring 2000), pp. 85-110. The coincidences of names, dates, witness
      drinking behavior, dogs, German-speaking astronauts, pterodactyls, etc.,
      that I described in my article are at least as startling as the
      coincidence of the October 20 date for the 1967 Patterson-Gimlin
      California "Bigfoot" film footage and my friend Beth Anne's 2001 Long
      Island "White Wolf" sighting.
      T. Peter <tpeterpark@...>
      Garden City South, LI, NY


      On the night of November 2, 1967, several people unknown to each other
      who had been drinking beer had very similar close encounters on roads
      near Ririe, Idaho with "little men" from UFO's trying to forcibly enter
      their cars. Almost exactly ten years earlier, on November 6, 1957,
      spacemen from UFO's tried to steal dogs from a boy named Everett in
      Tennessee and from a man in Everittstown, New Jersey. In the 1970's,
      unknown to each other at the time, English science-fiction writer Ian
      _Watson_ wrote a novel about UFO's while Nigel Watson investigated a
      number of bizarre actual incidents in the same part of England--and both
      the novel and the actual reports featured sightings of a prehistoric
      flying reptile! Are such sets of events mere coincidences--or do they
      reflect deep patterns with special meanings for their participants, or
      even for the world at large? Not all anomalous events have this
      coincidental element--but many do.

      Beer, Cars, and "Aliens"

      Guy Tossie and Willie Begay, two Navaho Indians, both 23, who
      worked as
      farmhands near Ririe, Idaho, were driving south on Highway 26 just
      outside Ririe on the night of November 2, 1967. Begay and Tossie were
      drinking beer before starting home from Ririe, but insisted they were
      not drunk--a claim confirmed by their friends and by police. Around 9:30
      p.m., when they were a quarter of a mile south of Ririe, they saw a
      sudden blinding flash of light in front of their car. A moment later, a
      disc-shaped, domed UFO 5 to 8 feet in diameter appeared, flashing green
      and orange lights around the rim, bathing the area in a brilliant green
      light. The dome was transparent and in it they saw two small humanoids.
      Their 1956 white Buick sedan, driven by Begay, stopped without Begay
      applying the brakes, and the UFO hovered about 5 feet above the road
      just ahead of them. The dome opened and one humanoid emerged, floating
      to the ground. It was about 3 to 3 1/2 feet tall, wearing a back-pack.
      Its face was rough and deeply scarred, with two small, round eyes, a
      straight, slit-like mouth, no visible nose, and large ears standing high
      on the hairless head. The creature appeared green-- perhaps because the
      green and orange light from the UFO made everything look green.
      Approaching the car, the humanoid opened the driver's-side door and slid
      behind the wheel. The two terrified Indians slid over to the right. The
      car was either driven by the alien or towed by the UFO out into a nearby
      field, stopping about 75 feet from the highway, the UFO keeping a fixed
      position a few feet in front of it. When the car stopped, Tossie,
      sitting next to the door, opened it and leapt out, running for the
      nearby farmhouse of Willard Hammon, a quarter of a mile away. He later
      reported being followed by a bright light, perhaps carried by the second
      In the car, Begay cowered in the front seat in terror as the first
      humanoid "jabbered" incomprehensibly, making high, rapid sounds,"like a
      woman or a bird." Begay later made a warbling sound to show
      investigators what it sounded like. The second creature, seemingly
      giving up chasing Tossie, returned to the car. The two humanoids
      re-entered the UFO, which rose in a zig-zag path, beaming a yellow light
      from the bottom that played like a flame but did not exactly look like
      a flame.
      Meanwhile, at Hammon's farmhouse, the startled farmer scarcely
      understood Tossie. Hammon later said he met "an incoherent Indian" when
      he opened the door at Tossie's frantic pounding. He smelled beer but as
      Tossie did not seem obviously acting drunk, let him in. Tossie told
      Hammon that "a light drove their car off the road, and his friend was
      dead." After calming Tossie down, Hammon and his teen-age son Bob
      accompanied him back to the field, where they found the car. Begay was
      sitting speechless with terror, with closed eyes. The car's engine was
      running and its lights were still on--the car had been in the field for
      about 15 minutes. Hammon listened to their story and then followed the
      frightened farmhands home in his own car. He then drove back to Ririe,
      stopping in the local bar and grill to see if the bartender knew
      As Hammon had coffee in the Ririe bar and talked, the local constable
      and Bonneville County deputy sheriff stopped in for a sandwich, and
      Hammon told them the story. Tossie and Begay then came by, asking for
      beer to settle their nerves. They rushed over to the constable and
      deputy sheriff, voluntarily telling them about a "flying saucer" that
      "forced them off the road." The Idaho State Police were called, and
      Corporal Tom Harper arrived at the scene 1 to 1 1/2 hours after the UFO
      encounter. Harper smelled that the Indians had been drinking beer (they
      had some while waiting), but emphasized that they were not drunk. The
      "strangest part of the story," he told reporters, was that Begay and
      Tossie were "sober." Harper checked the car for dents, burns, and
      radiation, but found no scratches, burns, or radiation above normal
      background level.
      Several local farmers reported that their cattle had panicked and
      stampeded during the evening for unknown reasons. About two hours after
      the Indians' sighting, Mrs. Elaine Quinn, leaving her Snake River Valley
      home six miles East of Ririe, saw a rotating, zig-zagging light about
      two miles away.
      C. Reed Ricks of Idaho Falls investigated the report for NICAP, the
      now-defunct National Investigations Committee for Aerial Phenomena in
      Washington, D.C. Ricks conducted two 2- hour interviews with Tossie and
      Begay, 24 hours and again 8 days after the encounter, and was convinced
      of their sincerity. Harper told Ricks that though Begay and Tossie had
      had some beer before starting for home, they definitely were not drunk.
      Ricks himself, noting that Tossie and Begay had voluntarily told their
      story to the constable and deputy sheriff, remarked that "normally,
      Indians who have been drinking do not seek out police to tell a wild
      story to." He found them "simple honest men and incapable of a perfectly
      executed hoax." Ricks also was impressed by local residents reporting
      "numerous experiences that night with wildly frightened or abnormally
      behaving animals."
      During his investigation, Ricks heard of a man claiming a similar
      encounter with a UFO and two small humanoids on that same night. Ricks
      tracked him down and confirmed his report. The witness was adamant about
      not revealing his name, and was reluctant to discuss the details of his
      encounter, fearing ridicule.This third witness was driving his pick-up
      truck around 11:30 that night on State Highway #48 from Ririe to Rigby
      (10 miles West of Ririe) when a small UFO came down in front of his
      truck and stopped it. A small humanoid got out of the UFO and tried to
      enter his truck, tapping on the windows and windshield. The terrified
      witness thought he was losing his mind, but shook the alien and UFO off
      (or they left), and drove rapidly home. At work the next morning, before
      he had learned of the Indians' encounter, he confided in a friend, who
      reassured him of his sanity. A few hours later, a local radio station
      mentioned the Tossie-Begay encounter and his co-workers began discussing
      it. According to his friend, the witness "turned white as a sheet," and
      talked no more of it.
      Interviewing the third witness, Ricks learned that coincidentally he
      too, had been drinking before his UFO encounter. His wife had just
      divorced him, and on November 2 he was still emotionally distraught. He
      rarely drank, but had a few beers by himself in Ririe that evening. He
      was reluctant to tell Ricks what he had experienced because "when you
      are drunk, you sometimes see things." However, the witness's friends and
      co-workers told Ricks they considered him a honest, reliable person, and
      Ricks himself found him intelligent, cultivated, and well-read.(1)
      The fact that the witnesses in both "little men" encounters had been
      drinking might lead many people to dismiss both stories as alcoholic
      fantasies. Some members of NICAP's Occupant Panel, who studied the Ririe
      encounters, however, did not believe so. Psychiatrist Allen S. Mariner
      found it a "most convincing case," citing the witnesses' "very strong
      emotional reaction," their "consistency under cross-examination," and
      the "report of frightened animals in the area." That they "may have had
      a beer or two" did not "impress" him, as their panic reaction was "not
      at all typical of reactions to alcohol." Also, "for two men to react
      with panic and to agree about the cause of their fright if the cause is
      not something real would be virtually unheard-of." Dr. Mariner added
      that alcoholic intake "per se does not produce hallucinations."
      Alcoholics do have hallucinations in delirium tremens ("D.T.'s"), a
      "gross and obvious psychotic condition," but "the 'pink elephants' of
      the average social drinker are an old wives' tale." The "man who 'has a
      bit too much' on his way home from work or at a cocktail party does
      _not_ experience hallucinations-- not even of flying saucers." Thus, the
      "almost inevitable question 'Has he been drinking?'" was "less relevant
      than it might seem." Alcohol "does, of course, dim one's faculties" and
      "make one a less reliable observer of things in general." but it "simply
      does not produce the sort of phenomena with which we are dealing." A
      psychologist on the NICAP panel also found the case "most credible,"
      citing the witnesses' extreme terror, their willingness to talk to the
      police, and their later avoidance of publicity."
      NICAP astronomer Walter N. Webb called the report "convincing,"
      the "comic-book nature" of some "aspects." He was impressed by "the
      credibility of the two Indian witnesses attested to by everyone who had
      anything to do with the case," by "two possible supporting sightings
      including another similar contact claim," and by "numerous examples of
      frightened animals in the vicinity the same night." Dr. Norman S. Wolf,
      a NICAP radiation biologist, also found the case "a very convincing
      report, especially with the indirect confirmation of another contact
      made that same night."(2)
      The Ririe story is intriguing because of the curious coincidence of
      three witnesses (one quite independent of the other two) who on the same
      night near the same town had UFO's stop their cars on the highway, and
      an alien enter or try to enter their cars, after they had had a few
      drinks earlier that evening! Were the aliens trying to send us a
      "message" about our habit of associating "seeing things" with
      drunkenness? Were they also rebuking our ethnic stereotypes about
      Indians and "firewater"?

      Germans, Dognappers, and Everetts

      Early November, 1957, following the October 4 Soviet Sputnik
      saw a busy American UFO "flap," beginning with the November 2-3
      Levelland, Texas sightings. Ordinary-looking German-speaking astronauts,
      dogs, and the name "Everett" formed an odd chain of coincidences within
      this "flap" on November 5-6. Reinhold Schmidt's encounter with
      German-speaking spacemen near Kearney, Nebraska on November 5 is usually
      dismissed by UFO researchers as a crude hoax, but his spacefaring
      Teutons appeared the next day in a report apparently uninfluenced by
      Schmidt's tale.
      Schmidt, a 56-year-old grain buyer, burst pale and shaken into the
      Kearney sheriff's in the late afternoon of November 5. Schmidt claimed
      that he had been driving near Kearney when, about 2:00 P.M., he saw a
      flash of light and his car engine stopped. He then noticed a huge
      silvery blimp-shaped object 60 feet from him. It was about 100 feet
      long, 30 feet wide, 14 feet high, and stood on four post-like legs. As
      Schmidt walked toward it, a beam of light hit and briefly paralyzed him.
      Two "middle-aged" men came out of the object down a staircase, asked if
      he was armed, and searched him for weapons. When the paralysis faded,
      Schmidt asked to see the ship, and the two men agreed.
      There were "four men and two ladies" aboard the ship, all 45 to 50
      years old, 5'4" tall, with dark complexions, wearing ordinary clothing.
      The men wore brown or blue suits, brown shoes, narrow-brimmed hats, and
      long ties. The women wore white blouses, brown skirts, and lipstick, had
      short brown hair, and silver chain necklaces with pendants. They spoke
      German-accented English to him, but "High German" with each other, and
      "slid" instead of walking. One of them told Schmidt, "In time you will
      find out what we are doing" and "Tell the people we're doing no harm."
      They also discussed the American space satellite program. After half an
      hour, they told Schmidt to leave and wished him luck. After he left the
      ship, it silently lifted off straight up, propelled by two fans at the
      ends. When it climbed above the trees, the object disappeared. Schmidt
      then found he could start his car again.
      Schmidt took the local deputy sheriff, police chief, and Kearney city
      manager to the landing site. They found two sets of footprints
      approaching a single set. The three sets of footprints then advanced
      together and suddenly stopped. An oil stain at the spot where Schmidt
      said the object had landed was found to be ordinary motor oil. Schmidt
      was held overnight in jail, grilled by local police officers and by
      officers from the Continental Air Defense and U.S. Army Intelligence. He
      refused to take a polygraph test. His story quickly attracted media
      attention; he was interviewed that night by the press and by local radio
      and television stations. Late on the night of November 5- 6, radio
      personality Long John Nebel played a taped interview of Schmidt on his
      all-night talk show. By the morning of November 6, the story had gone
      nationwide as Schmidt took two Air Force investigators to the landing
      site. They found that, although Schmidt claimed the craft was only three
      feet off the ground, weeds and shrubs four to five feet high were
      unbroken. They discovered a curious coincidence: a farmer had been
      driving his truck two miles from the "landing" site, at about the same
      time, when his engine failed. A broken rotor had been replaced in the
      truck ten days earlier. A piece of the broken rotor had not been removed
      and had become wedged between the points, causing the failure. The Air
      Force also learned Schmidt had a long criminal record, and had served
      time for embezzlement in the Nebraska State Penitentiary. Two
      psychiatrists questioned Schmidt on the evening of November 6th. They
      decided that he had suffered hallucinations and delusions, and was
      mentally ill. Schmidt was placed in a local hospital, but released a few
      days later. Schmidt later claimed further "contacts" with the
      German-speaking astronauts, who came from Saturn. They took him on rides
      to the Arctic Circle, under the ocean, and to the Great Pyramid, also
      showing him deposits of energy-producing quartz crystals in California.
      Four years later, Schmidt was tried, convicted, and sentenced to prison
      in California for swindling some elderly women in a crystal- mining
      venture. At the trial, a young astronomer named Carl Sagan debunked
      Schmidt's contacts with Saturnians by testifying that Saturn could not
      possibly harbor human life. (3)
      A half day after Schmidt's UFO experience, at about 6:30 A.M. on
      November 6, 1957, 12-year-old Everett Clark of Dante, Tennessee arose
      and opened the door to let his dog Frisky outside. He saw a strange
      object in a field about 100 yards from the house. The object was long,
      round, translucent, and of "no particular color." He thought he was
      dreaming and went back inside. About 20 minutes later, Everett went out
      to call his dog, and saw that the object was still there, with Frisky
      and several other neighborhood dogs standing near it. Also near the
      object he saw two men and two women in ordinary clothing, talking "like
      German soldiers he had seen in movies." One of the men tried to grab
      Frisky, who growled and backed away. The man then grabbed another dog,
      which attempted to bite him, so he let it go. One of the men motioned to
      Everett to come to him, but Everett refused. The strange people then
      "walked through the side" of the object, "as if it were glass." It then
      took off soundlessly straight up.
      Everett's High School principal later called him a serious and honest
      boy. His parents, who worked at a nearby knitting mill, found him upset
      when they returned from work. His grandmother said that he called her
      after the incident and was "hysterical." Reporters asked him if he had
      heard of Reinhold Schmidt's November 5th Kearney encounter with its
      ordinary-looking, German-speaking spacemen, but the boy apparently had
      not. The Schmidt story just hit the news wires late the previous night,
      and did not appear in the Knoxville newspapers until November 6th. When
      reporter Carson Brewer went to the field with Everett, he found an
      oblong ring of pressed grass 24 feet long by 25 feet wide, but Everett
      said the object had been much larger. Brewer found he could not make a
      similar marking unless he walked round and round at least a dozen times.
      Everett's father remarked, "I don't think he made it up, but I still
      don't believe it."(4)
      In what Jacques Vallee called "another of the extraordinary
      coincidences with which UFO researchers are now becoming familiar," that
      very same day another UFO alien attempted to steal a dog in
      Everittstown, New Jersey, where "by yet another coincidence, the name of
      the town...is similar to the name of the witness (Everett)" in the Dante
      case. John Trasco of Everittstown went outside at dusk on November 6th
      to feed his dog and saw a brilliant egg-shaped object hovering in front
      of his barn. He was confronted by a being 3 feet tall with a
      "putty-colored face" with a nose, chin, and "large frog-like eyes"
      wearing a green suit with shiny buttons, a green tam-o-shanter- like
      cap, and gloves with a shiny object at the tip of each finger. The dwarf
      said, in broken English, "we are peaceful people, we only want your
      dog." The frightened but angry Trasco retorted, "Get the hell out of
      here." The being then ran away, and a moment later his machine took off
      straight up. Despite its interest in dogs, the alien here differed
      sharply from Reinhold Schmidt and Everett Clark's ordinary-looking
      German-speaking astronauts. Mrs. Trasco saw the object from inside the
      house, but did not see the "little man" because of some shrubbery,
      although she heard the dwarf's voice and her husband's angry retort. She
      told reporters that her husband tried to grab the dwarf, and got some
      green powder on his wrist, which washed off. The next day, he also found
      some of the green powder under his fingernails.(5)

      Anomalous, my dear Watsons--the game is afoot!

      John Watson is immortal as Sherlock Holmes' down-to-earth but obtuse
      friend. Three Watsons were the imperceptive real-life participants,
      quite unaware of each other, in a set of UFO-related coincidences in the
      late 1970's described by British UFO and Fortean investigator Jenny
      Randles. English science-fiction writer Ian Watson began writing his UFO
      novel _The Miracle Visitors_, in Oxfordshire in 1976--the year when
      abductions first seemed to hit England, and the single biggest year on
      record for British abduction cases. However, as most of them were only
      publicized later, Watson did not know of them when he wrote his book. He
      set his novel in Yorkshire--a hotbed of actual UFO and Fortean
      incidents, unknown to him then and investigated by anomaly researcher
      Nigel Watson, no relative and likewise unknown to him!
      _The Miracle Visitors_ was finally published in 1978. When interviewed
      several years later, Watson called it his most forceful book, because as
      he was writing it in Oxfordshire, UFO's seemed to "home in" on him.
      Watson's basic plot premise was that UFO's are a partly psychic, partly
      para-physical quasi-reality called into visible material existence
      through the mental agency of people with the ability to enter a state of
      "UFO Consciousness" and materialize "The Unidentified." Thus, his own
      plot involved people with the right mind-set inducing UFO's to "home in"
      on them! Watson set _The Miracle Visitors_ in North Yorkshire. His
      protagonist, Michael Peacocke, saw a UFO land and suffered a "missing
      time" memory loss. Later, under hypnosis, Michael described a typical
      abduction including a sexual encounter. Watson included many other
      details from actual UFO cases, and theoretical discussions by characters
      like Dr. John Deacon, a psychologist who thought Michael was fantasizing
      but soon realized it was much more complex. "Mightn't there be
      hallucinations that are also, in a sense, real? Hallucinations that have
      a temporary conditional reality?" one scientist in _The Miracle
      Visitors_ asked, noting that "UFO's seem to act as they both _are_ and
      _aren't_ real, "as though they occupy some middle ground."
      As _The Miracle Visitors_ developed, we find that Michael had been
      rescued from death earlier in life when a runaway truck almost crushed
      him, and bizarre coincidences began plaguing him. Meanwhile Dr. Deacon
      theorized about "solidograms," holograms created out of pre-existent
      matter and shaped by mythic ideas in the mind of the witness. To test
      his theory, he hypnotized Michael, who materialized a pterodactyl
      (prehistoric flying reptile) over the Yorkshire moors, which swooped
      around and knocked with its beak on their window before dissolving back
      into nothingness. Later, Michael and Dr. Deacon were fooled for a while
      by complex "solidograms" claiming to be real extraterrestrials lured
      throughout their own history into exploration of the Cosmos by their own
      "Unidentified." However, they eventually found these, too, to be just
      one more fabrication of their own human "Unidentified."
      The Yorkshire moors where Watson set _The Miracle Visitors_ became a
      busy focus of UFO sightings, particularly in 1978 (the very year it was
      published), but beforepublication of the novel. Some of these were
      witnessed by Paul Bennett, a young man from Bradford with many
      experiences like Michael Peacocke's. Bennett, like Michael, claimed his
      life was once saved when he was thrown from his bicycle into a tree and
      nearly died, recovering a from coma as a UFO hovered over the hospital
      where he lay. From 1973 to 1977, Bennett also met all sorts of
      entities-- angels, hairy beasts, robots, and UFO'nauts--in his bedroom
      and on the Yorkshire moors. Many of these happenings were recorded by
      Jenny Randles and her fellow UFO investigator _Nigel_ Watson (no
      relation of Ian Watson!) in 1977-1978, in an obscure, small-circulation
      magazine _before_ Ian Watson published _The Miracle Visitors_. Bennett
      later edited a magazine, _Earth_, devoted to strange happenings in
      Yorkshire. Without knowing of _The Miracle Visitors_, one of the first
      cases Bennett received from members of a strange phenomena research
      group he had started was the sighting of a pterodactyl over the
      Yorkshire moors!
      Ian Watson subsequently wrote several other science-fiction novels, no
      longer dealing with UFO's. He moved to Northamptonshire--a hotbed of
      British abduction reports in the 1970's and 1980's. When Jenny Randles
      wrote Ian Watson telling him of some abductions reported from near his
      own home, he seemed quite surprised. He claimed not to know about those
      cases, only one of which had received any media publicity--just as his
      book was being first published in hard-cover! As Jenny Randles
      emphasized, "perhaps the oddest discovery" was that Ian _Watson_ wrote
      as fiction in the 1970's what Nigel _Watson_ investigated as fact at
      that very same time, though the two Watsons were totally unaware of each
      other. No "simple theory of spaceships or imagination," she felt, could
      "account for that." And at that exact same time, she added, a third,
      American Watson was independently writing about many of the same weird
      subjects. Lyall _Watson_ published his own speculations about UFO's,
      paranormal phenomena, animal instincts, and other mysteries as
      manifestations of a planetary sea of consciousness in his 1979 book


      (1)Major Donald E. Keyhoe and Gordon I.R. Lore, eds., _Strange Effects
      from UFO's: A NICAP Special Report_ (Washington, DC: NICAP, 1969), pp.
      23-26; Patrick Huyghe, _Field Guide to Extraterrestrials_ (New York:
      Avon Books, 1996), p. 36; Materials received September 30, 1998 by T.
      Peter Park from CUFOS, the J. Allen Hynek Center for UFO Studies,
      Chicago): Report of C. R. [Reed] Ricks, Idaho Falls, Idaho, November 13,
      1967, to NICAP. Washington, D.C. (4-page report mainly dealing with the
      Tossie-Begay encounter but briefly alluding also to the possible third
      witness); "Our Girl Friday' [Marie Anderson], "Believe It or Not...,"
      _The Shelley Pioneer_, Thursday, December 7, 1967 (long newspaper
      article from a local Idaho paper extensively quoting and citing C. Reed
      Ricks); Letter of C. Reed Ricks, Idaho Falls, August 22, 1968, to Ted
      Bloecher, NICAP, Washington, D.C. (Mostly deals with third witness);
      Letter of C.R. Ricks, September 2, 1968, to Ted Bloecher, NICAP,
      Washington, D.C (More on the third witness, and sketch of the Ririe area
      showing where the Tossie-Begay sighting took place).
      (2) Keyhoe and Lore, _Strange Effects from UFO's_, pp. 26-27.
      (3) Coral Lorenzen, "UFO Occupants in United States Reports," in Charles
      Bowen, ed. , _The Humanoids: A Survey of Worldwide Reports of Landings
      of Unconventional Aerial Objects and Their Occupants_ (Chicago: Henry
      Regnery, 1969), pp. 153-154; Curtis Peebles, _Watch the Skies! A
      Chronicle of the Flying Saucer Myth_ (Smithsonian Institution Press,
      1994; New York: Berkley Publishing Group, Berkley Books, 1995 ), pp.
      148-150, 367; Jerome Clark, _The UFO Encyclopedia: The Phenomenon from
      the Beginning_, 2nd ed. (Detroit: Omnigraphics, Inc., 1998), Vol. 2, pp.
      822-823; Paris Flammonde, _The Age of Flying Saucers: Notes on a
      Projected History of Unidentified Flying Objects_ (New York: Hawthorn
      Books, Inc., 1971), pp. 106-107.
      (4) _Knoxville News-Sentinel_, November 6, 1957, cited by Coral
      Lorenzen, "UFO Occupants in United States Reports," in Charles Bowen,
      ed. _The Humanoids: A Survey of Worldwide Reports of Landings of
      Unconventional Aerial Objects and Their Occupants_ (Chicago: Henry
      Regnery, 1969), pp. 154-155, and by Jacques Vallee, _Passport to
      Magonia: From Folklore to Flying Saucers_ (Chicago: Henry Regnery,
      1969), pp. 43-44, 264; Jacques Vallee, _Dimensions: A Casebook of Alien
      Contact_ (New York: Ballantine Books, 1988), pp. 69-70.
      (5) _CSI Newsletter_, December 1957, cited by Coral Lorenzen, "UFO
      Occupants in United States Reports" in Bowen, ed., _The Humanoids_, p.
      156, and by Jacques Vallee, _Passport to Magonia_, pp. 43-44, 264;
      Vallee, _Dimensions_, p. 70.
      (6) Jenny Randles, _Alien Abductions: The Mystery Solved: Over 200
      Documented UFO Kidnappings Investigated_ (New Brunswick, NJ: Inner Light
      Publications, 1988), pp. 46- 49 ("perhaps the oddest discovery...no
      simple theory of spaceships or imagination" on p. 49); Jenny Randles,
      _Mind Monsters: Invaders from Inner Space?_ (Wellingborough,
      Northamptonshire, England: The Aquarian Press, 1990), pp. 22-24; Ian
      Watson, The _Miracle Visitors_ (London: Victor Gollancz, 1978); Lyall
      Watson, _Lifetide: The Biology of the Unconscious_ (New York: Simon and
      Schuster, 1979).

      ========================== Forwarded message ends ========================
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.