Re: [UFOnet] Re: 1. Hume's Proof

  • Roger Anderton
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 11, 2001
      Hi Joe

      It doesn't. It seems more like: He is making out that when one has a Belief
      of how the universe operates and witnesses say something that contradicts
      that Belief, then there is no reason to believe them.

      independent witnesses.

      Multiple witnesses can be deceived, not just single witnesses.

      Your Point 1 is almost right. Hume would like to assume that he knows best,
      i.e. knows perfect understanding of nature. But what he has is a way of
      maintaining his own Belief system (whether it is perfect or erroneous in
      understanding nature) and preventing it from being amended by anything
      anomalous.

      It is ideas like Hume's that modern science has been built on. That is why
      I think modern science is a religion, and not a proper science. i.e.
      Scientists like to believe that they are building on truth, and so don't
      need to worry about any foundations laid long ago by other workers.
      Believing earlier work correct, they then seek to build on that , and
      believing 'they' know best, 'they' then debunk (or allow others to debunk)
      any criticism of their foundations.

      Roger