Fwd = [fort] Jacques Vallee and the Occult

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 2001
      Originally from: fort@yahoogroups.com
      Original Subject: [fort] Digest Number 928
      Original Date: 3 Nov 2001 13:04:03 -0000

      ========================== Forwarded message begins======================

      Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2001 03:58:36 +0100
      From: Theo Paijmans <th.paijmans@...>
      Subject: Jacques Vallee and the Occult

      Hello,

      Of what I have understood of the ufological theory of Jacques
      Vallee is not that he is a proponent of multiple universes per
      s� (neither that he is against it), but that he sees the ufo
      phenomenon as a meta-mechanism; something - very probably
      intelligent - has the capacity to bend form, energy and matter
      and manifests itself temporarily on our plane. Its aim; to
      control and regulate our existences, somewhat akin to a
      thermostat.

      Funnily, a ufologist as Jerry Clarke (UFO Encyclopedia) is very
      critical of Vallee's reasoning, classifying him with the works
      of John Keel in the Occult Ufology current - a division from
      mainstream ufology - if it has ever existed as a homogenous
      school at all - that began in the 60's (counterculture, renewed
      interest in matters esoteric)

      Come to think of it, his Passport to Magonia (his most famous
      book, often misread as a plea for the theory that ufo's and
      fairies are the same - Vallee means are part of a same
      underlying structure) was one of the most influential books in
      ufology ever, it prompted the formation of the psychosocial
      school- which holds that ufo's are the sum result of several
      cultural and social circumstances -

      Vallee... one who was well versed in the occult himself, as was
      Vallee's fellow countryman Jacques Bergier (there is a photo of
      Jacques Vallee and Anton laVey of the Satans Church, and an
      account of a party where Jacques Vallee, Anton LaVey and Grady
      McMurphy were - showing something of the strata Vallee
      frequented in his search for answers.) Vallee who once was a
      member of the Rosicrucians (see his Forbidden Science) where he
      obviously read Comte de Gabalis where the legend of Magonia is
      to be found (but hey, there was an excellent article on this in
      one of the Fortean Studies volumes). Funny enough Vallee has
      also received quite a lot of flak from the Philadelphia
      Experiment proponents, after he attempted to debunk this tale
      (this article is somewhere online). It is rumored that George
      Langelaan, who also was a Frenchman, wrote a strange version of
      the Philadelphia Experiment. Langelaan, as did Bergier, served
      in the French resistance. Later, Langelaan would write the novel
      The Fly, about... the teletransportation of matter, the result a
      horribly mixed man-fly. One of the most famous and horrendous
      detaiuls of the Philadelphia Experiment was the
      teletransportation of matter that went awry and sailors, who
      were melded with the steel and wood of the decks and the ship's
      hull.

      By all means Vallee went beyond the "Fortean" of Charles Fort. I
      would call him a "Magonian".

      Best,

      Theo