Fwd = CCCRN News: Midale, Saskatchewan Field Reports

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2001
      Originally from: Paul Anderson <psa@...>
      Original Subject: CCCRN News: Midale, Saskatchewan Field Reports
      Original Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 20:26:40 +0000

      CCCRN NEWS
      The E-News Service of the Canadian Crop Circle Research Network

      http://www.geocities.com/cropcirclecanada

      September 29, 2001

      _____________________________

      FIELD REPORTS - MIDALE, SASKATCHEWAN
      August 27 - September 1, 2001

      Following are the field reports from our investigations of the seven
      formations at Midale, Saskatchewan. They are included together here in this
      one e-mail for convenience; they will also be posted separately for each
      formation report on the web site. Survey diagrams and additional photos
      will be available soon, as well as the field report, diagrams and
      additional photos for Drayton Valley, Alberta.

      In terms of associated anomalies, of particular interest is the odd
      circular 'blurred or fogged out area' or distortion which can be seen in
      two of the aerial photos I took over the Midale #5 formation, and also in
      the aerial video footage taken at the same time, in which it can be seen
      moving across the screen (see description below). Nothing seen visually at
      the time. Other odd small white objects or lights can be seen in a number
      of the ground photos, perhaps dust or something else?

      Also:

      There is a report of yet three more formations about 80 miles northeast of
      Midale, in wheat, found September 26. Whether this is actually three
      circles in one formation or three separate formations is not known at this
      point. Further details pending in the next day or two.

      There is also now confirmation that the Red Deer formation was first seen
      on September 2, by an assistant flying with a search and rescue team at the
      time. As the farmer had previously stated that the field was empty
      September 1 when they were spraying, this narrows down the time frame
      considerably as to when the formation was made.

      MIDALE, SASKATCHEWAN #1
      August 27, 2001

      Field Report - Paul Anderson, CCCRN

      Assistant Debbie Warren and I had just finished our investigation of the
      two circle formation at DraytonValley, Alberta, and were staying in
      Edmonton with Judy Arndt (Crop Circle Quest and CCCRN field research
      assistant) and her husband Mike, when I received a message from our pilot
      assistant John Erickson in Estevan, Saskatchewan of three new formations
      that had just appeared there, again near Midale, a few miles away in
      southeast Saskatchewan. They were in the same fields as formations from
      1999. We set out the next morning for another long day's drive to Midale.
      We had been going to go to the canola formation at Dauphin, Manitoba next,
      but decided that these new formations were more important for our studies
      at the time as they were new and also somewhat more complex from the
      descriptions given. We were fortunate to be able to see these formations
      within a couple days or so after their creation. The four that followed a
      few days later, we were able to document within hours.

      The first formation in the Midale area we investigated was a classic large
      circle with two concentric rings around it, in wheat. Spotted by John
      Erickson on August 27, and in the same field as a formation in 1999, owned
      by farmer Dayle Martinson. Debbie and I met John in Estevan, who took us to
      the location. A couple of our other CCCRN assistants from the area, Robert
      Leslie and Sonia Peterson, were already there, along with some neighbouring
      farmers. They had already walked into the formation, which was a relatively
      short distance from the dirt road, leaving very noticeable pathways in
      doing so. We followed the same tracks, to avoid making more than necessary.
      They did tell us however that no entry pathways were seen at all when the
      formation was first found, which is something we would verify ourselves
      with some of the other formations later. We later obtained aerial video
      and photographs of the formation.

      The centre circle was approximately 14.5 meters (48 feet) diameter, with
      the two rings encircling it about 1.2 meters (4 feet) wide each and a total
      diameter of about 28 meters (92 feet), with some variability noted. The lay
      of the crop inside the formation was relatively smooth and uniform,
      although not quite as flat to the ground as in 1999. Centre circle was
      counterclockwise, the first ring clockwise, then the outermost ring
      counterclockwise again. No holes or other obvious disturbance to the ground
      found in the centre of the circle. Stalks were bent at or very close to the
      ground, with little if any other damage. Larger stones and rocks inside
      both the circle and rings (common in the field) showed no signs of having
      been disturbed, scraped or pushed over, etc. as might be expected from
      mechanical flattening (ie. boards, planks). One stuck up several inches
      from the ground, yet looked completely undisturbed. The wheat stalks were
      flattened both over top of and around the stones. Debbie Warren and Sonia
      Peterson assisted with survey measurements.

      No stretched or ruptured nodes, compass or other ground anomalies found.
      However, I repeatedly had problems with my camera (standard 35 mm) while
      circling this and the other Midale formations in John Erickson's plane,
      with the camera refusing to take the picture and advance properly to the
      next shot whenever I tried using the zoom. Also, a CTV News crew who were
      later taping an interview with us inside this formation experienced a
      sudden battery failure in their video camera (such effects being common in
      many formations).

      MIDALE, SASKATCHEWAN #2
      August 27, 2001

      Field Report - Paul Anderson, CCCRN

      The second formation in the Midale area was in a field owned by farmer
      Randy Johner, also again a field that hosted a formation in 1999, and not
      far from Midale #1. This one was also spotted by John Erickson on August
      27, and also reported by Randy. This was also basically a circle with two
      surrounding rings, in wheat,although in this case the rings were broken
      into offset segments, the inner ring divided into two parts, the outer ring
      divided into four. There was also a smaller satellite circle a short
      distance away, and tangent to the edge of the dirt road. The main formation
      was set further into the field, again with no initial entry pathways seen,
      which this time we saw ourselves, both on the ground and later from the
      air. We flew over this formation with John before we entered it on the
      ground, to verify this, with photographs and video.

      The centre circle was about 12.5 meters (41 feet) diameter, varying
      slightly from circular by a few inches. Total diameter approximately 24.5
      meters (80 feet). Crop lay was fairly uniform and flat to the ground,
      counterclockwise in both the circle and the ring segments. Lay was similar
      in the satellite circle, about 6.4 meters (21 feet) diameter, also
      counterclockwise. Stalks were bent at or very close to the ground, with
      little if any other damage. No holes or other obvious disturbance to the
      ground found in the centre of the circle. Sonia Peterson assisted with
      survey measurements.

      No stretched or ruptured nodes, compass or other ground anomalies found.
      However, I repeatedly had problems with my camera (standard 35 mm) while
      circling this and the other Midale formations in John Erickson's plane,
      with the camera refusing to take the picture and advance properly to the
      next shot whenever I tried using the zoom.

      MIDALE, SASKATCHEWAN #3
      August 27, 2001

      Field Report - Paul Anderson, CCCRN

      The third Midale formation was a rather unusual looking combination of
      flattened and standing half circles, with a smaller flattened circle inside
      the standing section, in wheat. Some people referred to this one as a
      'mushroom'. Also spotted on August 27 by John Erickson, and again in a
      field owned by farmer Randy Johner. And yet again, this was a field that
      previously had a formation in 1999. As with Midale #2, we saw no initial
      entry pathways going into the formation; we also flew over this one to
      verify this for ourselves and document it, before we entered it on the
      ground. The field is the next one down from Midale #2, on the other side of
      the dirt road.

      The formation was approximately 15 meters (50 feet) in diameter. Crop lay
      was primarily clockwise except for a section in the flattened half circle
      which was counterclockwise, as was the smaller circle inside the standing
      section. Overall, the lay was more complex in this formation than in Midale
      #1 and 2, with a band of crop about 1.2 meters (4 feet) wide which
      continued to run clockwise around the inside edge of the flattened half
      circle part of the formation, next to the counterclockwise portion. In the
      centre of this half circle, where the two different flows met, the wheat
      formed a sort of central 'spine', arranged in overlapping bunches of stalks
      up to five or six layers deep, crossing each other in 'X' type patterns.
      Stalks were bent at or very close to the ground, with little if any other
      damage. No holes or other obvious disturbance to the ground found in the
      centre of the small circle or where the centre would be of the larger
      circle halves. Debbie Warren assisted with survey measurements.

      No stretched or ruptured nodes, compass or other ground anomalies found.
      However, I repeatedly had problems with my camera (standard 35 mm) while
      circling this and the other Midale formations in John Erickson's plane,
      with the camera refusing to take the picture and advance properly to the
      next shot whenever I tried using the zoom.

      MIDALE, SASKATCHEWAN #4
      August 30, 2001

      Field Report - Paul Anderson, CCCRN

      The fourth formation was found a couple days later, on August 30, in the
      same field as Midale #2, but several hundred feet away. A sort of
      'backwards 7' for lack of a better description, in wheat. Again spotted by
      John Erickson while flying over the previous three formations in the area.
      Was not there the day before. This was the only Midale formation that had
      an unknown track leading to it when first found. Whether this was from
      someone else visiting it before us, or from hoaxers, we may never know. A
      smaller companion piece was several feet away from the main formation.
      Interestingly, there was no track between the two sections, only from the
      larger one to the dirt road.

      Main piece was approximately 21 meters (69 feet) long along main axis, the
      smaller companion about 5.5 meters (18 feet). Main part of the larger
      pattern was gently curved, with a straight end piece attached (the top bar
      in the '7'), with crop flattened right to left in the curved section. In
      the end piece however, the crop showed a similar kind of elaborate layering
      as seen in Midale #3, with bunches of wheat crossing each other in similar
      kinds of 'X' patterns down its whole length, about 8.5 meters (28 feet).
      Crop inside the smaller companion piece was flattened right to left only.
      Stalks were bent at or very close to the ground, with little if any other
      damage. Debbie Warren assisted with survey measurements.

      No stretched or ruptured nodes, compass or other ground anomalies found.
      However, I repeatedly had problems with my camera (standard 35 mm) while
      circling this and the other Midale formations in John Erickson's plane,
      with the camera refusing to take the picture and advance properly to the
      next shot whenever I tried using the zoom.

      MIDALE, SASKATCHEWAN #5
      September 1, 2001

      Field Report - Paul Anderson, CCCRN

      The fifth Midale formation was again basically a circle / ring pattern, but
      with other additional standing shapes inside it, in wheat. Spotted by John
      Erickson and a news crew from Global TV on September 1 while flying that
      morning, along with the other two new formations, Midale #6 and #7. A
      smaller satellite circle was nearby. Formation had not been there the
      previous day, as John stated he had flown over the very same fields, which
      were then still empty. Having just finished our investigations of the first
      four formations, we immediately set off to see these new ones. This one was
      in a field that had not had any formations in it before, as far as we know,
      owned by farmer Armaud Wediene, although there had been formations before
      in the nearby area. No initial entry tracks seen again, as with the first
      three formations. In this case, we weren't able to fly over it until later
      that afternoon, so we entered the formation for an initial inspection. Our
      own entry pathways are clearly visible in the aerial photos and video that
      we took that afternoon, but no others. An oil pumping station is nearby,
      next to the field, and within a couple hundred feet or so of the formation
      itself. There is also an electrical tower on either side of the formation.

      About 23 meters (78 feet) in diameter, the crop lay in this formation was
      messier than in the previous ones we had visited. While generally
      counterclockwise, the lay was rather haphazard, not as smooth and flowing.
      Standing shapes of crop were in both the centre circle and the surrounding
      ring, but were difficult to define from the ground, until we could get an
      aerial view later. These turned out to be four circular standing circles in
      the ring, about 1.2 to 1.5 meters (4 to 5 feet) across each, and other,
      somewhat larger wedge shaped standing pieces inside the centre circle. Some
      stalks in the surrounding flattened area were sort of wrapped around the
      standing sections. The formation could be generally described as a celtic
      cross pattern, with additional pieces, although the overall geometry, while
      impressive, was kind of odd looking. The lay in the smaller satellite
      circle, 3.65 meters (12 feet) diameter, was much smoother and uniform in
      appearance, also counterclockwise. Stalks were bent at or very close to the
      ground, with little if any other damage. No holes or other obvious
      disturbance to the ground found in the centres of the circles. Robert
      Leslie assisted with survey measurements.

      No stretched or ruptured nodes, compass or other ground anomalies found.
      However, I repeatedly had problems with my camera (standard 35 mm) while
      circling this and the other Midale formations in John Erickson's plane,
      with the camera refusing to take the picture and advance properly to the
      next shot whenever I tried using the zoom. Also, a couple of my aerial
      photos of this formation show an unusual circular 'blurred or fogged out
      area' next to the pattern. The video footage, taken over the same formation
      at the same time, shows the same or similar looking 'patch' moving across
      the screen from upper right to lower left for about two or three seconds
      then is gone. It is densest in the main part of it, then more diffuse at
      the edges. I haven't seen this in any of the other video or photos we took.
      It is similar, but more opaque looking, to the photos taken by Nick
      Nicholson in the UK in 1990 (see page123 of Linda Moulton Howe's newest
      book, 'Mysterious Lights and Crop Circles'). The photos and video were
      taken through two different windows on the same side of the plane. Nothing
      seen visually at the time. Similar blurs and other anomalies have been
      found by many people over the years taking pictures in and over formations.

      MIDALE, SASKATCHEWAN #6
      September 1, 2001

      Field Report - Paul Anderson, CCCRN

      The sixth Midale formation was probably the best in terms of ground
      construction and detail. Also somewhat more elaborate than the usual
      predominately circle / ring type patterns seen on the prairies, it
      consisted of three circles arranged in an equilateral triangle
      configuration, with a wide band of flattened crop flowing and looping
      around them, creating a standing partial ring around each circle, and
      smaller triangular standing pieces in the centre of the formation, in
      wheat. Described as a 'triplet' or 'three leaf clover'. Spotted by John
      Erickson and a news crew from Global TV on September 1 while flying that
      morning, along with the other two new formations, Midale #5 and #7.
      Formation had not been there the previous day, as John stated he had flown
      over the very same fields, which were then still empty. This one was also
      in a field that had not had any formations in it before, as far as we know,
      although the field is owned by farmer Dayle Martinson, as with Midale #1,
      and close again to where other formations have been found before. No entry
      tracks seen again, as with the others. In this case again, we weren't able
      to fly over it until later that afternoon, so we entered the formation for
      an initial inspection. Our own entry pathways are again visible in the
      aerial photos and video that we took that afternoon, but no others. This
      formation was set further into the field than the others, at least a couple
      hundred feet.

      Each circle was approximately 7 meters (23 feet) diameter, with an overall
      diameter of about 25 meters (82 feet). Crop lay was flatter and smoother
      than in the other Midale formations, flowing over and under itself in
      different spots in the band, creating a sort of visual 'knotted' effect.
      Lay was counterclockwise in two of the circles and clockwise in the third.
      The surrounding band followed the same direction around each circle. It was
      interesting to note that the wheat in this field appeared to be more
      severely affected by the drought, the plants being more stunted in growth,
      and weeds everywhere growing amongst the crop, which gave the formation an
      odd kind of textured appearance. Yet the lay was superior to the formations
      in other healthier fields. No holes or other obvious disturbance to the
      ground found in the centres of the circles. Stalks were bent at or very
      close to the ground, with little if any other damage. In a few spots, some
      of the weeds had small blue flowers which appeared to be untouched. Debbie
      Warren assisted with survey measurements.

      No stretched or ruptured nodes, compass or other ground anomalies found.
      However, I repeatedly had problems with my camera (standard 35 mm) while
      circling this and the other Midale formations in John Erickson's plane,
      with the camera refusing to take the picture and advance properly to the
      next shot whenever I tried using the zoom.

      MIDALE, SASKATCHEWAN #7
      September 1, 2001

      Field Report - Paul Anderson, CCCRN

      The seventh Midale formation was a simpler pattern again, a small circle
      surrounded by a larger thin ring, in wheat. Spotted by John Erickson and a
      news crew from Global TV on September 1 while flying that morning, along
      with the other two new formations, Midale #5 and #6. Formation had not been
      there the previous day, as John stated he had flown over the very same
      fields, which were then still empty. This one was also in a field that had
      not had any formations in it before, as far as we know, but again in the
      same general area as previous formations. This formation however had been
      combined by the farmer, but was still clearly visible from the air. It was
      close to what appeared to be a man-made pond or water trough, and within a
      few hundred feet of the farm house. This is the only Midale formation we
      didn't enter as we had trouble locating it on the ground before we had to
      head back home in BC. It appeared to be in the same size range as the
      others.

      I repeatedly had problems with my camera (standard 35 mm) while circling
      this and the other Midale formations in John Erickson's plane, with the
      camera refusing to take the picture and advance properly to the next shot
      whenever I tried using the zoom.

      ____________________________

      The Canadian Crop Circle Research Network is a non-profit
      research organization which investigates the crop circle
      phenomenon and other possibly related phenomena in Canada,
      creating a liason between researchers, farmers, the public,
      the media and scientists in trying to solve this ongoing enigma

      CCCRN News Archive:
      http://www.topica.com/lists/cccrnnews/read

      CANADIAN CROP CIRCLE RESEARCH NETWORK

      Main Office:
      202 - 325 East 14th Avenue
      Vancouver, BC V5T 2M9 Canada
      Tel / Fax (Office): 604.731.8522
      Tel (Cell): 604.727.1454
      E-Mail: psa@...
      Web: http://www.geocities.com/cropcirclecanada

      Provincial Branches:
      http://www.geocities.com/cropcirclecanada/contacts.html

      Circle Phenomena in Canada 2001:
      http://www.geocities.com/cropcirclecanada/circlescanada01.html

      Fields of Dreams Webcast Radio Show:
      http://www.geocities.com/cropcirclecanada/fieldsofdreams.html

      � Canadian Crop Circle Research Network, 2001