6306Fwd = Space shuttle and Proton launches today / Colorful new Hubble image

    Nov 30, 2000
      Forwarded by: fwestra@...
      Originally from: NewsAlert <newsalert@...>
      Original Subject: Space shuttle and Proton launches today / Colorful new Hubble image
      Original Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 02:11:06 -0500

      NEWSALERT: Thursday, November 30, 2000 @ 0711 GMT
      The latest news from Astronomy Now and Spaceflight Now

      ENDEAVOUR TO SET SAIL ON STATION MISSION TONIGHT
      The final hours of an exceptionally quiet countdown are underway at
      Kennedy Space Center for tonight's planned launch of space shuttle
      Endeavour and a five-man crew to deliver the first set of solar array
      wings to the international space station. Liftoff remains set for
      0306 GMT (10:06 p.m. EST).

      http://spaceflightnow.com/ops/stage4a/status.html

      See our complete coverage of Endeavour's flight:
      http://spaceflightnow.com/ops/stage4a/

      We have your guide to shuttle's climb to orbit:
      http://spaceflightnow.com/ops/stage4a/fdf/97ascent.html

      100 SHUTTLE LAUNCHES AND COUNTING
      ---------------------------------
      As NASA prepares to launch the 101st space shuttle flight tonight, we
      look back to the past 20 years of blastoffs in a special gallery
      feature. We conclude the package today to include all 100 missions.

      http://spaceflightnow.com

      SIRIUS 3 RADIO BROADCASTING SATELLITE TO LAUNCH TODAY
      The final digital broadcasting spacecraft that will complete the
      orbiting network for Sirius Satellite Radio is scheduled for launch
      today aboard a Russian Proton rocket from Central Asia. Liftoff is
      scheduled for 1959 GMT (2:59 p.m. EST) and we will have live coverage.

      http://spaceflightnow.com/proton/sirius3/status.html

      We will provide a live launch Webcast:
      http://spaceflightnow.com/proton/sirius3/live_qt.html

      HUBBLE SPIES EXTRAORDINARY AND POWERFUL ACTIVE GALAXY
      Resembling a swirling witch's cauldron of glowing vapors, the black
      hole-powered core of a nearby active galaxy appears in this colorful
      NASA Hubble Space Telescope image. The galaxy lies millions of
      light-years away in the southern constellation Circinus.

      http://spaceflightnow.com/news/n0011/30hubble/

      MOST DISTANT OBJECT IN UNIVERSE LOSES ITS TITLE
      Astronomers have stripped a galaxy near the Big Dipper of its title
      as "Most Distant Object Known" by using different techniques to make
      improved estimates of its distance that show it is closer than it
      first appeared.

      http://spaceflightnow.com/news/n0011/30distant/