2793Fwd = U.S. Air Force Reserve Command activates two new space units

    Nov 3, 1999
      Forwarded by: fwestra@...
      Originally from: "82. USAFnews" <usafnews@...>
      Original Subject: 3nov99 - afpn
      Original Date: 2nd Nov 99 1.22pm

      Air Force Print News, Nov. 3, 1999

      http://www.af.mil/news/Nov1999/n19991102_992018.html

      Reserve activates two new space units

      by Tech. Sgt. David D. Morton
      302nd Airlift Wing Public Affairs

      PETERSON AIR FORCE BASE, Colo. (AFPN) -- Air Force Reserve Command
      increased its role in space operations in October with the addition of
      two new space squadrons.

      The 8th Space Warning Squadron has been activated at Buckley Air
      National Guard Base, Colo., and the 9th Space Operations Squadron is
      now operating at Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif., Oct. 4.

      Both squadrons are part of the 310th Space Group, Schriever AFB,
      Colo., the only space group within Air Force Reserve Command.

      With the addition of the two new squadrons, the 310th SG comprises
      five squadrons, including the 6th SOPS, 7th SOPS and 310th Security
      Forces Squadron, which are located at Schriever.

      The 8th SWS, an associate unit to Buckley's 2nd SWS, will operate the
      Space-Based Infrared System, a follow-on system for the Defense
      Support Program. The DSP is an early warning satellite program
      started in the early 1970s used to detect the infrared signature of
      missiles fired by enemy forces.

      "The SBIRS that we'll be operating at Buckley will enhance and expand
      the capabilities of the current system," said Maj. Jeff Ansted, 8th
      SWS commander. "It's the critical link for tactical front-line
      detection of missiles that may be fired at North America or in support
      theaters. Tracking Scud missiles fired during Operation Desert Storm
      is an example of the system in use."

      The 8th SWS is the first space unit to integrate Reserve and Air
      National Guard members into an active-duty mission from the beginning
      stage.

      The Air Force also applied the total force at Vandenberg where the 9th
      SOPS will serve as an associate unit to the 614th SOPS, and augment
      the active duty in day-to-day operations of the Air Force Space Forces
      Aerospace Operations Center. The AOC is a 24-hour operation center
      designed to provide commanders with up-to-date information on the
      status of Air Force satellites. The satellites provide weather,
      intelligence, communication and navigational data necessary for
      strategic planning of U.S. military operations.

      The AOC provides the means for tracking and monitoring the status of
      141 space units worldwide, said Lt. Col. Patrick Phelps, 9th SOPS
      commander. These units provide the data for surveillance, space
      warning, satellite command and control, and space launch capabilities.

      "We don't operate any particular systems; it's our job to monitor,
      direct and integrate the systems that are already there," said Phelps.

      "Reservists provide a strong foundation of knowledge and experience to
      the mission," said Ansted. "There's continuous rollover on active
      duty, and our personnel provide stability because they're usually
      there for six years. They retain corporate knowledge of the systems
      and pass that along to their active-duty counterparts when they
      arrive."

      At the 9th SOPS activation ceremony, Maj. Gen. Robert Hinson, 14th Air
      Force commander at Vandenberg, said reliance on the Reserve and Air
      National Guard has increased since the end of the Cold War.

      "Our ability to ... maintain our nation's superiority in space is
      dependent upon them (Guard and Reserve) as critical contributors to
      part of a cohesive total force," said Hinson. (Courtesy of Air Force
      Reserve Command News Service)