22470If all scientific knowledge were lost in a cataclysm

  • ROGER ANDERTON
    Sep 24, 2013

      If all scientific knowledge were lost in a cataclysm what single statement would preserve the most information – answer Boscovich's theory

      18th Century - Boscovich gave unified theory of physics.

      Gleick in book "Richard Feynman and modern physics" - says - "The adult Feynman asked: if all scientific knowledge were lost in a cataclysm what single statement would preserve the most information for the next generation if creatures? How could we best pass on our understanding of the world? He proposed, 'All things are made of atoms - little particles that move in perpetual motion, attracting each other when they are a little distance apart, but repelling upon being squeezed into one another' and he added, 'In that one sentence, you will see, there is an enormous amount of information about the world, if just a little imagination and thinking are applied." --- that theory as Gleick goes on to explain is Boscovich's theory.

      According to Catholic Church - Boscovich is Father of modern atomic theory and recently declared a year as 'year of Boscovich.'

      Boscovich gave theory of unified force law.

      Recently I went round Congress on History of Science Technology, Medicine telling them Boscovich gave unified theory in 18th Century this should not be missed out of physics textbooks. Some agreed. Introductory lecture on Congress - speaker pointed out that most modern scientists are now ignorant of the history of their subjects. This must be true of physicists because they miss out in their textbooks - Boscovich gave unified theory in 18th Century.

      I now try to collect together scientists who are interested in unified theory.

      c.RJAnderton2013

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic