19035Re: Moderator vacancy

  • Geoff Richardson
    Apr 12, 2006
      Posted on behalf of Joe (ex moderator) as he has to rejoin the group
      following his resignation as moderator.

      "BB" Wrote:

      >This is unbelievable. One off topic post has generated more
      >discussion than the on topic UFO discussion. From what I see on

      A couple of points here.

      1. You make my point for me about the negative potential of
      off-topic postings to the smooth running of the list. Yet to
      quote you from previous posts:

      "Take a pill Joe. Sit down and enjoy the eagles"
      "Thanks for posting the eagle url. I appreciate it."

      2. Do you really consider the administration of the UFONET list
      to be off-topic for this list?

      I agree, it is unbelievable.

      >the message board the interest in this list is waning anyway.
      >Rather than taking your ball and going home Joe, why dont you
      >cut the childish behavior and throw yourself into making the
      >list more interesting and viable.

      In order to improve the list, I need the support of my
      fellow-moderators, and the list membership.

      Moderator Frits has more pressing demands on his time, which is
      why he requested assistance in the first place. Moderator Brian,
      by making the off-topic post, has undermined the authority of the
      moderators - how can he now justify rejecting off-topic posts in
      the future? Shortly prior to Brian's off-topic post, I rejected a
      number of posts because they were off-topic.

      Comments like your own own and Linette's demonstrate a lack of
      support from the membership, though this is balanced by comments
      like those from Geoff and Dean. Out of a list with nearly 800
      registered members, only 4 people felt strongly enough about
      topicality to express an opinion either way. Hardly support for
      me as a moderator.

      Moving on to your suggestions, you clearly have the knowledge as
      to how to cure the ills of the list, and the time to carry them
      out (since you can afford the time to read off-topic posts and
      act on them). Why don't you apply your resources and take up the
      vacant moderator's position? You would certainly have my support
      in this.

      Regards,
      Joe

      --- In ufonet@yahoogroups.com, "Linette Sukup" <linettesukup@...>
      wrote:

      > Listen, I know that I got blasted for my remark about jaded
      cynicism. But
      > Brian seemed genuinely excited about the eagle pics. A sense of
      wonder is a
      > sense of wonder.
      > I also hope that my remark didn't contribute to Joe's walking off.
      I have
      > regularly posted things that I thought might spur discussion, but
      they
      > didn't. Either people didn't find them interesting, or they, like
      me, have a
      > helluva lot of things to do.
      > Let's not be acrimonious over one slip-up, but at the same time
      let's not
      > limit ourselves to such a degree that we become stagnant.
      >
      > Peace.
      > Linette

      Service.

      > ---------------------------------
      >

      > ---------------------------------
      > Love cheap thrills? Enjoy PC-to-Phone calls to 30+ countries for
      just
      > 2¢/min with Yahoo! Messenger with Voice.

      > ufonet-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      >
      > Website: http://www.ufonet.nl
      >
      > Caution, many reports of unidentified phenomena posted to this
      list require
      > further investigation.
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links
      >

      > --