19031Re: Moderator vacancy

  • Geoff Richardson
    Apr 11, 2006
      Hi All,
      I have been a member of this list for (at a guess) seven or maybe
      eight years and there is no doubt that the quality of postings did
      degenerate to an appalling level up to about six months ago. There
      were more spam and non-ufo postings than genuine postings about the
      subject of Ufology.
      Since Joe took over as moderator the list has regained its identity
      and integrity as a UFO discussion group.
      Brian Vike is also supposed to be a co-moderator with Joe and it was
      Brian who polluted the list with a non-ufo posting. How on earth can
      Brian moderate this group with integrity when he has posted non-ufo
      topics himself. Mind you, has Brian actually been involved as
      moderator in real terms?
      Without good moderation, which at times means the moderator must
      make hard decisions, any web-based discussion group is bound to
      become watered-down, lose its integrity and ultimately fail in its
      intentions.
      I would imagine that most of us have interests and causes that we
      are dedicated to apart from Ufology - those interests should be
      pursued in the relevant non-ufo lists - not here.
      There is no doubt that at times Joe and I have had our differences
      but the quality of the postings on this group did improve to a
      previously unknown level and quality whilst Joe was moderator.

      Every member of this group does, in fact, owe Joe a debt of
      gratitude.

      Geoff Richardson

      --- In ufonet@yahoogroups.com, "B. Becker" <becker65201@...> wrote:

      > This is unbelievable. One off topic post has generated more
      discussion than the on topic UFO discussion. From what I see on the
      message board the interest in this list is waning anyway. Rather
      than taking your ball and going home Joe, why dont you cut the
      childish behavior and throw yourself into making the list more
      interesting and viable.

      > BB
      >
      > Joe McGonagle <joe@...> wrote:
      >
      > I must have got it wrong, I thought this was a UFO list. Given my
      > gross misunderstanding as to what the topicality of the list is, I
      > have no choice but to stand down as a moderator.
      >
      > Apologies, please feel free to post whatever you like to this list
      > (whatever it's subject is).
      >
      > Regards,
      > Joe

      > ufonet-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      >
      > Website: http://www.ufonet.nl
      >
      > Caution, many reports of unidentified phenomena posted to this
      list require
      > further investigation.

      Service.