18414Nick Pope's Column

    Sep 5, 2005
      September 2005

      Weird World
      NICK POPE

      Welcome to the September 2005 round up of news and views on UFOs, alien
      abductions, crop circles, ghosts, the paranormal, the unexplained, the
      weird and the wonderful.

      Metro - 60 Second Interview

      On 10 August I appeared in Metro, the popular free newspaper read by most
      London commuters. I was featured in their regular 60 Second Interview
      slot, and used the opportunity to tell people about my time on the
      Ministry of Defence UFO Project. I was also pictured on the front cover,
      which I had not expected. This is a tremendously high-profile feature -
      other recent interviewees include Norman Cook and Sandra Bullock - so was
      a wonderful opportunity to promote ufology and the paranormal more
      generally. Click on http://www.metro.co.uk/metro/interviews/
      interview.html%3Fin_page_id=8&in_interview_id=1144 to see the interview in
      its entirety.

      Forbidden Knowledge

      One of the biggest esoteric conferences ever held in the UK will be held
      on Saturday 1 July 2006. Speakers include Alan Alford, Andrew Collins,
      Michael Cremo, Paul Devereux, Philip Gardiner, Lionel Fanthorpe, Gary
      Osborn, Karen Ralls and myself. The conference will be held at Kings Hall
      in Stoke on Trent and is already attracting massive interest from all
      those interested in forbidden knowledge, Earth mysteries, the paranormal,
      mysticism, ancient mysteries and other esoteric subjects. On a related
      subject, a new book by Philip Gardiner and Gary Osborn, entitled The
      Serpent Grail, will be published on 15 September by Watkins Publishing.
      Click on the official Philip Gardiner website at
      http://www.philipgardiner.net for more details on the book and on
      http://www.phil.fah-designs.com/forbiddenknews1.pdf for details of the
      conference.

      QuestCon05

      For those of you who are unable to wait to 2006 for a big conference on
      various esoteric subjects, check out QuestCon05. Organised by Andrew
      Collins, the event will be held in London on Saturday 5 November. Speakers
      include Andrew Collins, Graham Phillips, Colin Wilson, Philip Gardiner and
      Gary Osborn. Click on http://www.andrewcollins.com/page/
      conference/conferencenews.htm for more details of what promises to be an
      informative and intriguing conference.

      Curried Meatballs and Alien Abduction

      The Ministry of Defence has run a news feature on some of the Freedom of
      Information requests it has received since the Act came fully into force
      on 1 January this year. A light-hearted news feature entitled Curried
      Meatballs and Alien Abductions appeared recently on the MOD website,
      highlighting the wide range of requests that the MOD has received. Many
      requests have related to information on UFOs and alien abductions, and the
      MOD news feature picks out a couple. Click on http://news.mod.uk/
      news_headline_story2.asp?newsItem_id=3474 for details of the story.

      Ufology is Dead - Again

      Another local UFO group ran short of sightings, prompting media
      speculation that ufology is dead. Several national newspapers ran articles
      on this and I was quoted in The Guardian, commenting on the story. I
      subsequently discussed this on BBC Radio Scotland and pointed out that
      stories like this were often the making of the UFO group concerned, as
      they get publicity which prompts people to send them the very UFO reports
      they complain are not forthcoming.

      MSN Space Race

      The UFO competition run by Microsoft has now closed. Entrants were asked
      to send in photographs of UFOs or aliens, real or fake, and to follow a
      series of clues to guess the location of a secret base where UFOs were
      being kept. The prizes included a holiday in Florida with VIP access to
      the NASA Space Center at Cape Canaveral, a digital camcorder, MP3 players
      and lots of trendy Qee key rings. I was asked to judge this competition,
      along with former Ministry of Defence scientist Peter Varnish. There was a
      fair bit of coverage of this competition in the media, but provoked quite
      a negative reaction on various discussion groups and blogs. The apparent
      coming together of Microsoft, NASA and the MOD in a UFO-related venture
      made many conspiracy theorists suspicious. There were rumours that the
      competition was aimed at gathering information about ufologists, or
      amassing a collection of genuine UFO photographs that had not previously
      been seen by officialdom. There were accusations that the whole
      competition was a disinformation project aimed at undermining ufology by
      blurring the line between fact and fiction, and some people even went so
      far as to encourage people to complain to Microsoft. In fact, the whole
      thing was a fun idea, and when we came to the judging, Peter and I
      assessed the entries not just for realism but for creativity, originality
      and humour. Check out the MSN Space Race website at
      http://www.msnspacerace.co.uk/ for a look at the winning entries and the
      runners-up.

      Crop Circle Formations of 2005

      There may not have been much in the newspapers, but the crop circle
      phenomenon is still very much with us. The summer of 2005 has seen some
      beautiful formations appearing in the fields of England. Whether you
      believe crop circles are made by people, Earth energies or
      extraterrestrials, they are undeniably fascinating. Click on
      http://www.cropcircleconnector.com/2005/2005.html or
      http://www.temporarytemples.co.uk/2005/ for details of 2005 formations.

      Ed's Note:

      Nick Pope has written four books. Open Skies, Closed Minds is an overview
      of the UFO phenomenon with the emphasis on his official Ministry of
      Defence research and investigation. The Uninvited is an overview of the
      alien abduction mystery. Operation Thunder Child and Operation Lightning
      Strike are science fiction novels about alien invasion, incorporating UFO
      and abduction data. All four titles are available from most good bookshops
      and all the usual Internet book sites.

      Nick Pope has a website, which can be accessed at www.nickpope.net

      © Knight International
      www.knight-intl.com