Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

18357UFO ROUNDUP, Volume 10 Number 31

Expand Messages
  • John Hayes
    Aug 2, 2005
      Posted on behalf of Joseph Trainor.


      Volume 10, Number 31
      August 3, 2005
      Editor: Joseph Trainor

      E-mail: Masinaigan@...
      Website: http://www.ufoinfo.com/roundup/


      On Monday, July 11, 2005, at 8 p.m., Ray Diaz and his
      neighbors had a UFO encounter in hurricane-ravaged Milton,
      Florida (population 7,045), and afterwards, Ray reported,
      he had a strange episode of "missing time."
      "There was no light in our neighborhood, no power
      because of Hurricane Dennis," he reported, "I'm still not
      sure if I was dreaming. There is a naval base about 5
      miles (8 kilometers) to the north. But I remember sitting
      outside on my deck at around 8 p.m. I remember hearing
      the buzz of generators. All of a sudden, everything got
      "I looked up and saw a triangular object, not much
      higher than 70 feet (21 meters). This object had a base
      100 feet (30 meters) wide at its widest area. It almost
      blended into the sky because it was a black color, with a
      hint of gray, and the only lights were dim red lights on
      the bottom of each point of the triangle."
      "I remember not being able to talk. I looked over
      and saw neighbors on both sides of me looking up, too. I
      remember sitting up and taking the trash can to the front
      yard by the road. All of a sudden, I heard generators
      again and looked around and did not see the object. I
      remember feeling suddenly very afraid and sick to my
      "The next thing I remember is waking up at 6 a.m. the
      next morning."
      Ray added, "There was a large dim light on the edge
      of each point of the triangle, and the bottom of the
      object looked like there was an abundance of what looked
      to me like duct work along the bottom. The bottom was not
      smooth. These pipes seemed to be running at different
      The UFO "was about 50 to 80 feet (15 to 25 meters)
      high. Speed was extremely slow. I can only estimate that
      it was moving at about 5 miles per hour."
      Milton is on Florida Highway 90 about 20 miles (32
      kilometers) northeast of Pensacola. (Email Form Report)
      (Editor's Comment: Welcome to Missing Time Week here at
      UFO Roundup. Not only did we receive two "missing
      time" reports from points on opposite sides of the Earth,
      we got a horrifying report from people in Colorado who may
      have witnessed their neighbors being abducted. Keep


      On Tuesday, July 19, 2005, at 3:30 a.m., Dina
      Holdcroft was driving on a lonely country road outside
      Ravenshoe, in the far north of Australia's state of
      Queensland, when strange things began happening to her.
      "All at once, I heard unusual sounds on my car
      radio," she reported, "My mobile phone kept receiving
      messages. I picked it up and said, "Hello? Hello?"
      There was no response."
      "Suddenly, there was a light all about the car. The
      car engine cut out for a split-second, then came back on,
      very powerful, like the battery was fully charged. An
      illuminated mist came all around the car. I heard a sound
      like Whhiiiiiiiiiirrrr."
      "And that's all I remember. I had a loss of time.
      Half an hour."
      Ravenshoe is in Queensland's "Top End," located about
      100 kilometers (60 miles) south of Cairns. (Email Form


      On Wednesday, July 20, 2005, at 3 a.m., eyewitness
      Marilyn Burkett reported, "I suddenly woke up. It was
      very quiet, an eerie quiet. I looked out the bedroom
      window and saw a huge yellow light that was pulsating
      slowly at first. It was yellow and circular in shape.
      There were at least five dark lights surrounding it."
      "As it began to pulsate over one of the homes two
      houses down" in Idaho Springs, Colorado (population
      1,889), "it suddenly began to pulsate faster. And, as it
      pulsated, the light began to glow larger and brighter, and
      it was sending off a beam of white light to something
      above it. It was also sending a white light to another
      yellow ship that was stationary to the south of our house
      on the opposite side of the canyon we live in. It
      pulsated to a huge round yellow orb with black lights on
      it. Then it would stop pulsating, and the light would get
      dimmer and smaller, and then it would move on to the next
      house. We watched this happen all the way down the
      mountainside. It stopped at each house."
      "Hovering over each house, pulsating to a bright
      light, sending off the white light (beam) in each
      direction, and then go dim and going on to the next house.
      From one to another, methodically. We watched it go up
      and down to compensate for the height of each house's
      "We also noticed, watching a family of raccoons who
      live in the area near our shed roof (which is) right
      outside our bedroom window. There were about seven of
      them. They seemed like they were coming out of a stupor.
      They acted (sluggish) as if they had been drugged or
      something. They stumbled and began to watch in a
      southerly direction (looking to the second UFO above the
      canyon rim--J.T.) They also sat there staring for some
      time and then left."
      "We watched until 4:30 a.m. We were very tired and
      finally gave up watching once the ship moved around the
      bend of the canyon. It went out of sight, but the ship on
      the southern mountainside still stayed in place for the
      entire time, receiving the white light from the pulsating
      one. It also had light being sent down from the heavens
      Marilyn estimated that the moving yellow UFO was
      "about the size of two semi-trucks across. My sister and
      I saw it. My boyfriend refused to look out the window. I
      don't know why."
      "We didn't go outside because the raccoons were the
      size of small dogs!"
      Idaho Springs is just north of Interstate Highway I-
      70, located about 30 miles (50 kilometers) west of Denver,
      the state capital.
      (Editor's Comment: Incredible as it seems, Marilyn and her
      sister appear to have witnessed a multiple alien
      abduction. This gives us some insight into how the aliens
      work. First the "collector" UFO moves into position at
      low altitude over a selected house. The "white light"
      must be some kind of teleportation beam. The "collector"
      beams the sleeping humans out of their bedroom, handing
      them off to a larger UFO waiting some distance away. Or
      directly into space, as Marilyn reported. Of course, the
      big questions are...(1) Why are they going "methodically"
      from house to house in Idaho Springs? (2) What happens to
      the abductees aboard the more distant UFO? and (3) How do
      they get the abductees back into their bedrooms when
      they've finished with them? Questions, questions...)


      On Monday, July 25, 2005, in the evening, an
      architect was walking on the beach at Matosinhos in
      northern Portugal when he spotted an unusual "cube-shaped
      "An architect from Matosinhos told TV Channel 1 in
      Lisboa that he saw a UFO yesterday while walking the beach
      at night," reported Casimiro Moreira, UFO Roundup's
      correspondent in Portugal, "He said the sighting lasted
      for two minutes. 'It was like a cube floating above the
      sand, then it flew away towards the night sky, causing an
      explosion of light at high altitude.'"
      Matosinhos is located about 10 kilometers (6 miles)
      north of Oporto and 235 kilometers (148 miles) north of
      Lisboa, Portugal's capital. (See the Portuguese newspaper
      Correio da Manha for July 26, 2005. Muito obrigado a
      Casimiro Moreira por eso caso.)


      On Sunday, July 24, 2005, at 9 p.m., tourist Tommy
      Lynch was walking the streets of Kusadasi in Turkey when
      he heard a commotion behind him. Turning, he saw "a fast
      moving object" and brought his hand-held camcorder into
      "I have 15 minutes of video on my camcorder, filmed
      on two consecutive nights, Sunday and Monday (July 25,
      2005)," Tommy reported, "The object flew from north to
      south, right over the center to town. It was silver, a
      long saucer shape almost like a light bulb, and it was
      moving at an incredible speed." (Email Form Report)


      On Friday, July 22, 2005, at 2 p.m., Warren Peters
      walked out to his car in Buckhannon, West Virginia
      (population 5,725) and spotted a curious gleam "in the sky
      approaching from the northeast."
      "They were round like CDs (compact discs--J.T.). No
      one saw them but me. They moved fast. I seen one go as
      fast as 2,000 miles per hour (3,200 kilometers per hour)
      They were silver and light gray. They were about 3,000 to
      4,000 feet above the ground. They departed to the west at
      45 degrees above the horizon."
      Buckhannon, W.V. is on Route 20 and Highway 33 about
      20 miles (32 kilometers) south-southeast of Clarksburg.
      (Email Form Report)


      A large silent saucer caused a stir in Malaysia's
      southern state of Johor Bahru when it approached and
      hovered over the village of Mukim Plentong on the night of
      Friday, July 22, 2005.
      "Villagers turned out by the dozens to watch the
      strange object, which approached from the northeast very
      slowly," reported Mohammed Johari Senin, UFO Roundup's
      correspondent in Malaysia. "The UFO arrived at 11:45 p.m.
      It was approximately 5 meters (16.5 feet) in diameter. It
      was seen by the people living on Jalan Pasir Pelanga
      (street). The saucer hovered for several minutes. It did
      not depart. It simply disappeared at the stroke of 12
      Johor Bahru is 400 kilometers (250 miles) southeast
      of Kuala Lumpur, the capital of Malaysia. (Many thanks to
      Mohammed Johari Senin for this report.)


      Strange filaments, said to resemble the phenomenon
      called "angel hair," fell from the clouds in the vicinity
      of West Guilford, Vermont on Wednesday, July 20, 2005,
      shortly after 12 noon.
      According to David Schroeder, "I drove from Falmouth,
      Mass., where I live, to Richmond, N.H., where my brother
      lives. My brother told me that several days before, about
      the (July) 20th, he observed an extremely weird group of
      clouds over (southern) Vermont," around Governors
      Mountain, between South Pond and the town of West
      Guilford," at about noonday, between 12 and 2 p.m. He
      stated that the clouds were about 30 miles (50 kilometers)
      west of his location (He can see the windmills of the
      Harriman Reservoir from his house--D.S.)."
      "With the naked eye, he observed strange flame-like
      filaments emanating from about three separate clouds.
      These were like nothing he had ever seen before. There
      was a layer of haze, with clear sky above, and the clouds
      were right at the back edge."
      "He was so impressed by the phenomenon that he
      regretted he didn't have a camera handy to photograph
      "The strange flame-like filaments dissipated in just
      a few minutes. The participants of this sighting, with
      the sighting in Exeter, N.H., 50 miles (80 kilometers) to
      the east, caught my attention when I heard about the
      Exeter sighting this past week."
      West Guilford, Vt. is located 6 miles (10 kilometers)
      southwest of Brattleboro. (Email Form Report)


      UFO sightings continued in Canada last week, with
      sightings in the provinces of British Columbia and
      On Saturday, July 23, 2005, at 5:45 p.m., eyewitness
      S.W. spotted a UFO over Kamloops Lake in British Columbia.
      "From Chapter's Viewpoint, I observed the object
      following the mountain range to the left," he reported,
      "After following the mountain range to the west, it
      proceeded to drift over the mountain range, following the
      direction of the river (west--J.T.). At approximately
      quarter after five, I was having a bite to eat at one of
      Chapter's Viewpoint's picnic tables with a friend. He
      observed an unusual object moving along the mountain
      range. It may have been a helicopter, but I did not hear
      any sound from it. It also looked unusually featureless."
      "From what I could see, it was a strange spherical
      white object. We watched it as it followed the mountain
      range, and then it drifted down the range and out of
      sight, following the river exiting Kamloops Lake."
      "It may very well have been a conventional aircraft,
      but I could not identify what it was. It was spherical
      and quite large, perhaps as large as 30 metres (100 feet)
      in diameter. I estimated it to be anywhere between 100 to
      300 feet (30 to 90 meters) above the mountain range. It
      appeared to be moving more slowly than an airplane and yet
      faster than a blimp or a hot-air balloon."
      The following day, Sunday, July 24, 2005, eyewitness
      W.E. spotted a UFO over Grey County, Ontario in central
      "It was a triangle of flashing lights--blue, white,
      red, with the red and blue lights rotating their position
      and the white light blinking but (it) stayed in one spot
      on the object. The object came from behind the treeline
      to the west and went to the east or northeast in a strange
      manner. Looked like plane lights but was flying as if it
      was losing control. Three bright flashing lights, erratic
      up-and-down motions, while continuing to move from west to
      east downwards." (Email Form Reports)


      "Unidentified flying objects appearing in the skies
      over Ciudad Valles, near San Luis Potosi" in central
      Mexico "for the past three months have caused a commotion
      and a series of emotions ranging from fear to
      "The most important manifestation occurred on the
      15th of the month (July 2005) at 2 p.m. when at least a
      dozen UFOs remained visible for nearly five minutes over
      the city's southwestern quarter and expelled what
      witnesses referred to as 'space junk.'"
      "The case that has attracted the most attention, due
      to the alertness of the eyewitnesses, the time of day and
      the quantity of unknown objects was the one that took
      place over the barrios La Diana and Praderas del Rio
      "That day, as the temperature reached 40 degrees
      Centigrade, Miroslava and Luz Esmeralda Martinez
      Hernandez, Prof. Ruth Sandoval, Enrique Sandoval and other
      persons walking along Calle 16 de Septiembre (street) in
      La Diana discovered--while they went about their daily
      activities and happened to look upward--a large number of
      silvery oval-shaped and semi-circular objects moving very
      slowly to the east of Ciudad Valles and over the Rio
      "'I counted about 10 objects. Nine of them were
      small or at least appeared so at a distance. Then there
      was a larger one out at the end of the row,' said an
      excited Miroslava Martinez Hernandez. She explained,
      still overwhelmed, that some of the objects made pendulum-
      type motions. In other words, they rocked from side to
      side 'like a baby's cradle' and, when the largest object
      appeared, they surrounded it, forming a kind of ring."
      "'Look, they were exactly there,' she said, pointing
      to a radio antenna atop a house in Praderas del Rio."
      "'I even got the impression they were studying the
      antenna,' she added."
      "The account was corroborated by Luz Esmeralda,
      holding her child in her arms as she explained the UFOs'
      movement and shape with her hands. 'Yes, I also managed
      to see how they were shaped, moving very slowly. The
      largest was black, but the ones I saw were circular-
      shaped, like a plate.'"
      "Both identified almost at the same time the detail
      that surprised them the most--the objects expelled some
      sort of paper or metallic sheets that were red and black
      in color."
      "'The red was so bright that it hurt one's eyes.
      Could it have been self-luminous?' asked Miroslava."
      "'The objects expelled seemed to be moved along by
      the wind, and they fell in different directions. We
      already looked for them but could not find them.'"
      "Prof. Ruth Sanchez Sandoval, a neighbor of Miroslava
      and Luz Esmeralda, stated while she pointed to the clouds
      in the sky at the time, 'Frankly, it seems to me that they
      emerged from that cloud.'"
      "She said she was in the backyard of her house while
      her brother Rodrigo was inside. He had just arrived from
      the USA when the sighting occurred. 'I was stunned by
      what I was seeing, because, although I've had the
      opportunity to see UFOs elsewhere in the country (Mexico)
      and even my husband, Daniel Aguilar, saw the (Mexican)
      Army capture one of these objects in 1965 when it fell in
      Oaxaca (state) near Monte Alban, this was difficult.'"
      (Editor's Comment: This is the first I've heard of the
      Mexican Army retrieving a UFO near Monte Alban in 1965.
      If anyone has more information about this event, please
      send an email to UFO Roundup.)
      "What drew her attention, she explained, was that
      aboard the largest UFO were yellow and orange lights, and
      the smaller ones were surrounding it. 'It was as if they
      had been waiting and, once together, began moving slowly
      and then vanished from sight. I wanted to record them
      with my brother's camcorder, but I didn't want to leave
      the spot and go and ask him.'"
      "Prof. Sandoval explained that when she saw the UFOs,
      they expelled red-and-black-colored things. 'To me, they
      were hexagonal in shape but very thin, like paper or metal
      sheets, and they fell in different locations.'"
      Another neighbor, "Enrique Sandoval, at first
      hesitant, explained that he had in fact seen the very same
      thing as the women. 'The only thing I disagree with is
      the number, since I managed to see more than 30 objects in
      the same distance.'"
      "Prof. (Ruth) Sandoval explained that the UFOs were
      neither airplanes nor helicopters. They were noiseless,
      stood still in the air, and they moved away slowly and
      then vanished." (See the Mexican newspaper La Manana for
      July 24, 2005, "UFOs dump space junk." Muchas gracias a
      Scott Corrales y Dr. Ana Luisa Cid Fernandez por este
      articulo de diario.)


      Mark Chorvinsky, longtime Fortean researcher and the
      editor of Strange magazine, passed away unexpectedly last
      week. Some people in the paranormal community are
      speculating that Mark might be the 84th victim of "The
      Curse of The Mothman Prophecies."
      Mark Chorvinsky was born in Philadelphia, Pa. on
      March 4, 1954. "A (stage) magician from the age of 7,
      Chorvinsky acquired an interest in mysteries and a desire
      to solve them in his childhood. As an adult, Chorvinsky
      became a filmmaker and a bookstore owner."
      "In the early 1980s, Chorvinsky devoted endless hours
      to categorizing the data collected by the International
      Fortean Organization (INFO) while managing his commercial
      bookstore, Dream Wizards," in Rockville, Maryland, a
      suburb of Washington D.C.
      "Displeased with the administration of INFO,
      Chorvinsky broke with the group and then founded and
      became the editor of Strange magazine in 1987."
      "His magazine reflected Chorvinsky's journey into
      Fortean investigations, at first publishing detailed
      overview articles on phenomena but then moving to more
      skeptical and debunking articles on cryptozoological or
      unexplained subjects, as well as the occasional
      sympathetic pieces."
      "Chorvinsky was one of the first to discuss the
      possible role of Washington state construction magnate Ray
      Wallace in the hominological events in 1958, when Jerry
      Crew found the now-famous 'first' Bigfoot prints--or, at
      least, the first to be believed as such. Chorvinsky, a
      skeptic of the 1967 Roger Patterson and Bob Gimlin Bigfoot
      film footage, reported that the film clip was a hoax. In
      columns in Fate magazine and in Strange magazine,
      Chorvinsky" aired his theory that award-winning Hollywood
      special-effects expert John Chambers developed "the
      Bigfoot suit" supposedly worn by an imposter for the
      Patterson-Gimlin film. However, as Fortean researcher
      Loren Coleman pointed out, "Chambers denied his role to
      investigator Bobbie Short."
      "Another debunking focus of Chorvinsky's was the Loch
      Ness and Owlman work of fellow magician, Doc Shiels," in
      UK in the late 1970s.
      "Chorvinsky carried on a decades-long debate on these
      topics with his critics."
      When the film The Mothman Prophecies debuted in
      February 2002, it led to a renewed interest in the Mothman
      sightings in Point Pleasant, W.V. during 1966 and 1967.
      Just prior to this, Chorvinsky came across an equally
      mysterious sighting of the entity called Mothman in
      Maryland during World War II.
      In his research, Chorvinsky learned of a strange
      incident that occurred on July 27, 1944 at Hollywood,
      Maryland, a small town on Route 245 about 35 miles (56
      kilometers) south of Washington, D.C. The sighting took
      place "at 8:30 p.m. by Father Jim Johnston, the pastor of
      St. John's Church in Hollywood, Md. Johnston, who was
      watching an approaching thunderstorm, saw in the sky 'the
      outspread form of a man with wings.'"
      "Chorvinsky learned of this case in January 1990, and
      then, ten months later, he interviewed a witness, Mike
      Judge, of Potomac, Md. Judge recalled that in 1968 or
      1969, when he was about 7 or 8 years old, a big Mothman
      flap took place in the area. These two cases became the
      foundation for Chorvinsky's 'Return of the Mothman'
      inquiries," which were republished and triggered a new
      debate when The Mothman Prophecies premiered in 2002.
      The coroner listed the cause of death as cancer, but
      one researcher commented, "Nobody in the Fortean community
      knew that Mark was even ill."
      The "Curse of The Mothman Prophecies" refers to the
      statistically-unusual series of sudden or violent deaths
      that have claimed dozens of people linked to the
      production of the 2002 film. If Mark Chorvinsky was
      indeed "the 84th victim" of the curse, then he would be
      the second writer to fall. The first was Jim Keith,
      author of Black Helicopters over America: Strikeforce for
      the New World Order and Black Helicopters II: The End Game
      Strategy, who died in a Nevada hospital under mysterious
      circumstances in September 1999.
      (Editor's Note: On the other hand, as of this writing, the
      film's leading actors--Richard Gere, Laura Linney and Debra
      Messing--are still breathing in and out. That's a telling
      argument against any curse.)
      "In his later years, Chorvinsky seemed to return, as
      with the piece he wrote on the truth behind The Exorcist
      to reflective examination that analyzed his long interest
      in films and Fortean topics."
      Loren Coleman recalled, "One of Mark's favorite
      Charles Fort quotations was from (Fort's book) New Lands,
      'There is not a physicist in the world who can perceive
      when a parlor magician palms off playing cards.'"
      "Chorvinsky passed away after a long bout with
      cancer. He was a devoted father, family man and friend to
      a circle of friends in Maryland and the District of
      Columbia." (Many thanks to Loren Coleman for this news.)


      "Pilgrims are flooding to the small town of Acerra,
      20 kilometers (12 miles) east of Napoli (Naples), where
      dozens claim to have seen a statue of the Virgin Mary
      (birth name: Miriam bat-Joachim--J.T.) move and take
      'human form.'"
      "Several witnesses said they saw the marble-and-
      plaster statue at St. Peter's (Roman Catholic) Church
      miraculously move its legs and knees on Saturday," July
      23, 2005.
      "One person took a blurred mobile-telephone image
      that appears to show the statue's legs a fleshy human
      color. Strangely, this transformation does not appear on
      photos taken at the same time with ordinary cameras."
      "'Yesterday evening (Sunday, July 24, 2005) I saw the
      ear lobe extend and become flesh, just like the nose,
      which assumed a pinkish color,' said Maria, one of the
      witnesses, 'The gown turned into a veil showing all the
      "'The legs gradually became more prominent and then
      the knees moved forwards, until they stretched out the
      folds of the white dress,' said Domenico, 45. 'It's not
      the power of suggestion. Many of us really saw it.'"
      "There are rumors that one pilgrim managed to record
      the statue moving with a video camera. When the news of
      the supposed miracle broke, several people said they had
      seen the statue move previously."
      "'The Madonna had already moved other times, but you
      couldn't say anything,' said Anna, 'We had to wait until
      the bishop found out. Otherwise, no one would have
      believed us.'"
      "Volunteers from the Civil Protection Agency, who
      were called in to maintain order at the church as
      thousands of the faithful came to pay homage, are among
      those who claim to have seen the miracle."
      "However, parish priest Father Oreste Santoro said he
      has not personally seen anything out of the ordinary, and
      the Roman Catholic Church remains skeptical."
      "'Out of instinct, I don't believe it. But I will
      evaluate all the documents I'm given to decide whether a
      commission (to determine if a miracle has taken place--
      J.T.) should be appointed,' Monsignor Giovanni Rinaldi,
      the Roman Catholic bishop of Acerra, stated."
      Mary's statue "is 1.6 meters (5 feet, 3 inches) high.
      It was made especially for St. Peter's Church, which
      opened its doors in December (2004), and stands on a
      pedestal at the side of the altar. It depicts the Virgin
      Mary holding a rosary and a cross and wearing a white gown
      that clings to her figure."
      "'I have a statue that is the same but smaller,'
      Rinaldi said."
      "'Yesterday evening, I looked at it from various
      angles, moving from one room to another. I noticed that
      it changed color depending upon the light and shade,
      becoming pinkish, almost as if it were flesh,' Rinaldi
      added, 'The phenomenon of St. Peter's (Church) statue,
      which I blessed myself, could be similar. There is a
      great longing in people's souls, especially in such
      difficult moments for humanity. There is a desire for
      good in the face of so much evil.'"
      "'But the real sense of devoition is changing one's
      life, attitudes and relationships with others and taking
      the right path,' he added."
      "The number of reported cases of Madonna appearances
      and of statues moving or weeping has grown in recent
      years, and the Vatican has become extremely cautious about
      giving its seal of approval. Since 1905, the Church has
      approved only 12 miraculous events and issued 284
      "One case which caused a commotion in the Church
      revolved around a (Virgin Mary) statue which started
      weeping tears of blood in 1995. The 43-centimeter (16-
      inch) statue belonged to a family who had placed it in the
      garden of their home in Civitavecchia, north of Rome."
      "Reports that it was weeping blood attracted a
      whirlwind of media attention and thousands of visitors
      eager to see the miraculous statue. Excitement rose to a
      peak when the local bishop said he too had seen it weep
      "But the Italian Bishops' Conference later took the
      matter out of the bishop's hands, and the Vatican
      subsequently avoided making any pronouncement on the
      authenticity of the plastic Virgin's tears."
      "In the wake of the 'Madonna of Civitavecchia,'
      dozens of statues were reported to be weeping all over the
      country. Practically all were shown to be bogus copycat
      cases of people splashing red paint on the cheeks of
      statues or surrepitiously throwing water on its face."
      "The last major (Italian) case was in 2002, when over
      30,000 visitors flocked to Genoa to see a bronze statue of
      Christ, on which a woman reportedly spotted the features
      of stigmata-bearing saint Padre Pio (birth name: Francisco
      Forginone--J.T.)." (See the Italian newspaper Il
      Messagero for July 26, 2005, "Moving statue claimed a
      miracle." Grazie a Selena Capobianco per questo


      "Trailing a banner of flame, the space shuttle
      Discovery soared into orbit Tuesday," July 26, 2005. "But
      the excitement over the historic mission, the first since
      the Columbia accident in 2003, was tempered by the
      possibility that Discovery's heat shield suffered serious
      damage during launch."
      "'That was by far the smoothest ascent...we've ever
      experienced,' Discovery Commander Eileen Collins said to
      Mission Control in Houston soon after reaching orbit.
      'Couldn't ask for a better flight.'"
      "Shuttle officials later learned, however, that a
      camera had detected possible damage to a thermal tile on
      Discovery's underside just below the nose. The spot is in
      a vulnerable area on the door that encloses the shuttle's
      nose landing gear."
      On-board survey cameras found two strips of a heat-
      resistant material "that are dangling from the shuttle's
      belly. The strips could pose a threat to the spacecraft
      when it re-enters" Earth's atmosphere.
      "The tiny strips are used between the heat-resistant
      ceramic tiles that protect the shuttle's belly from the
      1,600-plus-degree re-entry."
      On Sunday, July 31, 2005, NASA engineers "were
      examining whether the dangling 'gap filler' strips could
      disrupt the airflow around the shuttle's underside enough
      to cause it to heat up too quickly as the vehicle descends
      at supersonic speeds on its return home."
      "It's unclear what caused the strips to slip from
      their positions near Discovery's nose landing gear
      well...But this is the first time NASA officials have
      spotted such strips while a shuttle was still in flight,
      thanks to a raft of new inspection methods, including
      cameras and lasers on the shuttle's robot arm and cameras
      wielded by the crew of the International Space Station."
      "Discovery's crew plans to take supplies to the
      International Space Station and to resume station
      construction halted by the Columbia accident. Completion
      of the station is part of President (George W.) Bush's
      plan for NASA's return to the moon."
      "The flight is 'a chance to go prove that we do know
      our business,' said astronaut Pamela Melroy, who is not a
      Discovery crewmember. 'We owe it to the American
      people...But I think it's almost as important that we do
      it for ourselves.'"
      (See USA Today for July 27, 2005, "Worries follow
      smooth liftoff," page 1A; and USA Today for August 1,
      2005, "New worry sits on shuttle's belly," page 3A.)


      "NASA has grounded all future space flights until
      engineers figure out why the shuttle Discovery's fuel tank
      shed pieces of foam during liftoff."
      "The debris does not appear to threaten the safety of
      the seven astronauts aboard Discovery, Wayne Hale, deputy
      shuttle program manager said Wednesday," July 27, 2005.
      "The largest piece of debris did not hit the shuttle.
      Inspections of the shuttle's heat shield Wednesday showed
      no significant damage."
      "Still, the unexpected shower of debris is a serious
      setback for NASA. The agency had concentrated on
      eliminating foam debris ever since a chunk of foam, which
      insulates the fuel tank, fell off and struck the wing of
      the shuttle Columbia during launch in 2003. The wing was
      damaged, and the shuttle disintegrated while re-entering
      the Earth's atmosphere."
      "'Until we fix this, we are not ready to go fly
      again,' William Parsons, shuttle program manager, said
      Wednesday. 'That means we're grounded.'"
      "Parsons said he didn't know how long it would take
      to fix the tank. NASA had planned for the next shuttle
      mission for September (2005)."
      "Completion of the International Space Station could
      be delayed by the grounding of the shuttle, the only
      spacecraft that can bring parts of the station to orbit.
      A long grounding would also further threaten the number of
      missions the shuttle could fly if it is to be retired in
      2010, as NASA plans."
      "Cameras spotted at least three substantial pieces of
      foam missing from Discovery's tank during its launch
      Tuesday," July 26, 2005. "The largest measured as much as
      33 inches (82.5 centimeters) long and as much as 14 inches
      (35 centimeters) wide. That makes it about the same size
      as the piece that struck Columbia."
      "Fortunately, the piece tumbled off the fuel tank two
      minutes after liftoff, too late for the debris to
      accelerate to dangerous speeds."
      "'If this had come off earlier, it would've been
      really bad,' Hale said."
      "The largest piece came off a 37-foot (11-meter)
      spine of foam called the 'protuberance of air load ramp'
      that runs down half the length of the shuttle's massive
      orange fuel tank. It protects other features of the tank
      from the aerodynamic stresses of launch."
      "NASA officials were worried enough that the ramp
      could rip away from the tank that they started redesigning
      it months ago. But they decided last year (2004) that the
      ramp did not pose such an urgent problem that it needed to
      be addressed before the first post-Columbia flight."
      "'Obviously, we were wrong,' Parsons said." (See USA
      Today for July 28, 2005, "NASA grounds shuttle flights,"
      page 1A.)


      Mumbai (formerly Bombay--J.T.), one of India's
      largest cities, "was paralyzed Wednesday," July 27, 2005,
      "by the strongest rains ever recorded in Indian history,
      with torrential downpours--92.5 centimeters (37 inches)--
      in one day, marooning drivers, forcing students to sleep
      at school and snapping communication lines."
      As of Monday, August 1, 2005, the death toll from the
      flooding was 910.
      "At its worst, the rainfall descended in what looked
      like a solid wall of water, overwhelming Mumbai, a crowded
      city" in western India "long accustomed to monsoon rains."
      "'Never before in the history of Mumbai has this
      happened,' said Police Commissioner A.N. Roy, 'Our first
      priority is to rescue people stranded in floods.'"
      "At least 83 people have died in Mumbai, crushed by
      falling walls, trapped in cars or electrocuted since the
      most intense rains swept through the city Tuesday
      evening," July 26, 2005, "Patil said. Phone networks
      collapsed, highways were blocked, and the city's airports,
      among the nation's busiest, were closed."
      "While Wednesday's precipitation was still being
      totaled, officials said parts of the city had been hit by
      up to 94 centimeters (37.1 inches) of rain Tuesday, much
      of it falling over just a few hours."
      "Across the city, traffic was backed up all night and
      into Wednesday, with drivers abandoning their vehicles on
      roads that had turned into waist-high rivers."
      "According to All-India Radio, about 150,000 people
      were stranded in railway stations. Others stayed for
      hours on buses and trains surrounded by swirling waters."
      "'We were stuck in a bus all through the night with
      nothing to eat or drink. It was impossible to get out
      because there was water all around,' said Yamini Patil, a
      government employee."
      "Rajesh Khubachandri, a businessman, abandoned his
      car and spent 15 hours marooned with several other people
      on a traffic island."
      "'We saw two bodies floating past. I don't know how
      they died, but they just floated by early in the morning,'
      Khubachandri said."
      "Television footage showed crowds of people
      scrambling for food parcels dropped from helicopters by
      (Indian) Navy rescue teams as the bodies of two men lay
      sprawled in the streets of a Mumbai neighborhood."
      "Such scenes have never before been seen in Mumbai, a
      cosmopolitan city that is home to India's financial
      circles and to 'Bollywood,' India's movie industry. Each
      year Mumbai is brought to a halt for a day or two by the
      heavy monsoon rains that drench the country between June
      and September and often leave hundreds of people dead
      "But Tuesday's downpour left the city reeling."
      "'Most places in India don't receive this kind of
      rainfall in a year. This is the highest ever recorded in
      India's history,' said R.V. Sharma, director of the
      Meteorological Department of Mumbai."
      "Home Minister Shivraj Patil said 633 people have
      died nationwide since the onset of the monsoon on June 1,
      which has washed away tens of thousands of homes, roads,
      railway tracks and bridges."
      "Vilasro Deshmukh, the highest elected official of
      Maharashtra state, ordered a two-day work stoppage early
      Wednesday to keep workers at home and called out the
      military to help."
      (Editor's Note: Mumbai is the capital of India's
      Maharashtra state.)
      "'Inflatable rafts will be used to reach stranded
      people,' Deshmukh announced, 'Please try to stay where you
      are and don't leave your homes.'"
      "Wednesday afternoon, as floodwaters began subsiding,
      the city began to function again but just barely. The
      road into Mumbai's financial hub was cleared, though two
      major highways, as well as hundreds of smaller roads,
      remain blocked. Skeletal train services connecting
      downtown areas to the suburbs resumed Wednesday afternoon,
      and airline flights resumed much later."
      "Hundreds of schoolchildren spent the night in
      suburban schools."
      "Param Singh wept with relief after he walked nine
      hours through rain-flooded streets to reach his daughter's
      school, where she had spent the night."
      "'It was horrible not knowing where she was, if she
      was stuck in a bus or alone at home since my wife is out
      of Mumbai at work. I literally wept when I saw her,' said
      Singh, his clothes drenched as he hugged his daughter."
      "India's previous heaviest rainfall, recorded in the
      northeastern town of Cherrapunji--one of the rainiest
      places on Earth (Sort of like Seattle--J.T.)--was 82.5
      centimeters (33 inches) on July 12, 1910, Sharma said."
      "Indian police reported landslides all around
      Maharashtra state, in Raigad, Ratnagiri, Sindhurdug and
      "According to Constable S. Jadav, rescue teams began
      arriving in the village of Kondivali on Tuesday night,
      hoping to extricate nearly 100 people trapped by a
      landslide. Kondivali is located 152 kilometers (95 miles)
      south of Mumbai."
      "Another mudslide in the nearby village of Jui was
      reported to have buried at least 30 people." (See the
      Indian newspaper New Statesman for July 27, 2005,
      "Nightmare monsoon drowns Mumbai." Many thanks to
      Krishnari Bai Dharapurnanda for this newspaper article.)


      "German prosecutors said Tuesday," July 19, 2005,
      "that they have charged far-rightist Ernst Zundel with
      incitement to racial hatred."
      "Mr. Zundel, who was extradited from Canada" in March
      2005 "is accused of spreading anti-Semitism and denying
      the Holocaust, partly in texts distributed via the
      Internet, prosecutors in the southwestern city of Mannheim
      "Mr. Zundel is 'known internationally as a leader of
      the right-wing scene,' the prosecutors said in a statement
      listing 14 cases of alleged incitement to racial hatred."
      "He was arrested in March on his arrival in Germany
      after losing a long legal battle to head off his
      extradition. He had been detained" at the Metro West
      Detention Center "in Toronto since (February) 2003 under
      Canadian anti-terrorism laws. Both Canadian and U.S.
      authorities rejected his applications for citizenship."
      "The Canadian Jewish Congress said it was glad to
      hear Zundel had been charged, but said justice will not be
      fully served until he is convicted."
      "'Certainly we're very pleased that German
      prosecutors have charged Mr. Zundel,' spokesman Len Rudner
      said from Toronto, 'But it's a successful prosecution that
      will go a long way to completely discredit Ernst Zundel.'"
      Zundel, 65, was born in a Schwarzwald (Black Forest)
      village near Pforzheim in 1939. He emigrated to Canada in
      1958 and opened a graphic arts business. In the early
      1970s, he founded Samisdat Publications Ltd., which
      published books on a variety of topics, including UFOs,
      free energy, holistic health and other dimensions. He
      wrote two books about UFOs and the Antarctic Reich, Secret
      Nazi Polar Expeditions in 1978 and Hitler at the South
      Pole in 1979.
      Zundel ran into trouble when he published a pamphlet
      entitled Did Six Million Really Die? Charged under
      Canada's hate-crime laws, Zundel was the defendant in two
      sensational trials, the first in 1985 and the second in
      1988. Both Zundel and his friendly defense witnesses
      testified and offered evidence to support their belief
      that the Holocaust was a Zionist hoax.
      Now "the outcast ufologist," Zundel moved to the USA
      in the late 1990s and established his own Web page, in
      which he continued to write about topics that interested
      him, including the pros and cons of the ongoing Holocaust
      debate. Following a dispute with the USA's Immigration
      and Naturalization Service, Zundel was deported back to
      Canada in February 2003 and was then held prisoner for two
      years under the Canadian anti-terrorism laws passed after
      September 11, 2001.
      Attorney Paul Fromm, one of Zundel's Canadian
      supporters, "argued it (the German prosecution) was a
      crime against free speech."
      "'Banning ideas--even foolish ones--is just never
      healthy,' Paul Fromm, the president of a group called the
      Canadian Association for Freedom of Expression, said
      Tuesday," July 19, 2005, "from Toronto upon hearing of
      Zundel's charges."
      Zundel received formal notification of the charges on
      Friday, July 15, 2005, while "slowly sifting my way
      through approximately 20,000 sheets of an incredible pile
      of documents compiled by the prosecutors over the decades.
      Since many of them were burned at the great arson in
      Toronto on the 7-8th May 1995 (when Samisdat's offices
      were firebombed, reportedly by the Mossad--J.T.), I had
      not seen many in about one decade--so something positive
      came out of this, after all."
      Zundel seemed more upset about the newly-imposed
      restriction on his writing privileges at the Mannheim
      prison than the prosecution charges.
      "The amount of letters you and my friends will
      receive from now on will be few and far between, because
      the presiding or arresting judge of the Amtsgerich
      Mannheim, who told me the day I came here that I could
      write and receive unlimited letters while I was in
      investigative custody, is no longer in charge of my case."
      "A different level of the court, the Landgericht
      Mannheim, has now been assigned my case, and apparently,
      one who is the head judge there, in German called the
      Vorsitzende Richter, who, as first order of business, has
      drastically reduced or curtailed the numbers of letters or
      mail I may receive or send while I am awaiting trial."
      During his five months at the Mannheim prison, Zundel
      has been receiving 60 to 100 letters per day from
      supporters and well-wishers in UK, Canada, Germany,
      France, Serbia, Brazil, South Korea, the Philippines and
      the USA.
      "There comes a time when even Ernst, the eternal
      optimist, has to acknowledge that by now the mental
      shackles and restrictions have done their work and
      achieved their purpose for those who imposed them so long
      ago," Zundel wrote to his friend and French supporter
      Yvonne Faurisson, "I am hampered by what I can write and
      express to you, thanks to this situation, so you and my
      friends have to think back and look at previous writings--
      for censorship and my incarceration do not allow me to
      express myself freely. I have now joined not only 82
      million other Germans, but about 200 to 300 million other
      Europeans, who are in a similar situation. Alas, they
      fancy themselves to be free!"
      "When all is said and done, Ernst Zundel is being
      prosecuted for a belief--his sincere belief that the
      Holocaust is a hoax," UFO Roundup editor Joseph Trainor
      commented, "If a government can contend that this belief
      is a 'hate crime,' then what is to prevent them from
      declaring that a belief in UFOs and aliens from space is
      equally criminal? This situation blows the USA's First
      Amendment right out of the water, and it should be a
      matter of concern not only to ufologists but to all
      "For myself, I hold a number of unconventional
      beliefs. I believe Atlantis and Lemuria sank during
      prehistoric times. I believe that retrocognition, as
      described by Madame Blavatsky and Robert E. Howard, is
      just as valid a psychic phenomenon as precognition. I
      believe Hitler pulled a fast one in 1945 and escaped
      Germany in a U-boat, the U-977. I believe that the lost
      city of Kadath and a postwar Antarctic Reich are hidden
      beneath the ice of Antarctica. Do these beliefs make me a
      hate criminal? Depends upon the complainant, I suppose.
      But I don't think it makes me a criminal any more than a
      belief in the existence of out-of-place alligators made
      one of Charles Fort. And I don't think Ernst Zundel is a
      criminal because of his unconventional belief, either."
      (See The Globe and Mail of Toronto for July 19, 2005,
      "Zundel charged with hate crime;" The Canadian Press for
      July 20, 2005, "Canadian Jewish groups happy about
      Zundel's charges, hoping for conviction;" and Zundel's
      letter to Yvonne Faurisson for July 15, 2005. Many thanks
      to Ingrid Rimland-Zundel for the copy of her husband's

      >From the UFO Files...


      An early sighting of ABCs or Alien Big Cats (known as
      phantom panthers here in the USA--J.T.) took place over 40
      years ago in the Shooters Hill section of Greenwich, a
      suburb southeast of London.
      On July 18, 1963, at 1 a.m., lorry (truck in the USA-
      -J.T.) driver David Back was "driving up the west side of
      Shooters Hill" and "stopped to assist what he thought was
      an injured dog. As he approached, it got up and ran off
      into the woods. Whatever it was, it was not a dog--it had
      long legs and a long pointed tail that curled up. It
      appeared to have a mouth full of food."
      "Mr. Back's report to the local police station
      sparked off a hunt which eventually included extra police
      from other stations, (British Army) troops and sixth
      formers from the local grammar school."
      "A patrol car went into the woods and disturbed the
      animal, which 'jumped clean over the bonnet (hood in the
      USA--J.T.) of a car.' The 'cheetah' was reported several
      times that night and early morning..."
      "The Daily Mirror of the (July) 19th (1963) reported
      the animal to be golden in colour. The Evening News of
      the same date states that there had been previous
      sightings...All large animals in the area were accounted
      "On the southeastern side of Shooters Hill, near
      Welling Way, the searchers found claw marks on a tree and,
      in the mud of a dried-up stream 'a number of prints
      several inches across with the marks of claws clearly
      "Three-quarters of an hour before dawn, 23rd July,
      1963, (at) Johnson and Phillips' sports grounds, Kidbrooke
      (about a mile southwest of Shooters Hill--J.T.). Head
      groundsman Jim Green was awoken by loud snarling noises,
      starting near Kidbrooke Park Road, and moving along the
      course of the River Quaggy, a stream running behind bushes
      and trees along one side of the sports ground."
      "A security sergeant from the nearby RAF station also
      heard the snarls and investigated with a constable. As
      dawn broke, they saw a big dark animal, between 18 and 19
      inches (45 and 47.5 centimeters) high, 'silhouetted
      against a white cricket screen.' It walked off into the
      "Five carloads of police arrived, by which time,
      naturally, the beast had disappeared."
      "Incidentally, streams leading to the Quaggy rise on
      the west side of Shooters Hill, where the animal was first
      The Shooters Hill area seems to be a Fortean hotspot.
      For some strange reason, phenomena always make an
      appearance there on July 24.
      On July 24, 1898, paranormal researcher Elliott
      O'Donnell spotted "what he describes as 'a nature spirit'"
      in Greenwich Park. "Sitting on a bench beneath a giant,
      diseased elm, he saw fall from the tree 'a figure half-
      human and half-animal--stunted, bloated, pulpy and yellow.
      Crawling sideways like a crab, it made for a bush
      opposite, into which it disappeared.' Terrified, he
      (Editor's Comment: Could this have been an alien from
      At the Blackheath Library in St. John's Park, about a
      mile north of Kidbrooke, a ghost routinely makes an
      appearance on or about July 24 each year.
      "The vicarage of nearby St. John's Church was
      converted into a library in 1956," and, ever since,
      "library staff have reported feeling something invisible
      pushing past them, and lights go on after the library has
      "The ghost is believed to be that of Elsie Marshall,
      who was raised in the vicarage. In 1892, she went to
      China as a (Protestant) missionary, and on 1 August 1895
      was murdered, with others, by a local secret society," the
      Chai Chiao (League of Vegetarians--many thanks to Chen
      Jilin) near Fuzhou (formerly Foochow) in Fukien province.
      "Her ghost is now supposed to have returned to her
      July 22, 1925 saw "the Great Ice Storm," which
      "appears to have covered most of the eastern half of our
      (Greenwich) area, including Eltham, Shooters Hill,
      Woolwich and Plumstead, before moving away eastwards into
      Kent, dying out around Bexleyheath and Erith."
      "The afternoon was the hottest for two years,
      reaching 90 degrees (Fahrenheit), though it was sultry
      with no strong sunshine. Thunder started rumbling about 5
      p.m., and, at 6 p.m., the storm broke. There was
      considerable flooding, with torrents running through the
      streets, and buses and fire engines grinding to a halt
      when they ran into deep water. Lightning struck trees and
      set off fire alarms. But worst of all was the ice..."
      "The hailstones started quite small, but soon reached
      the size of eggs, then, among the smooth round ones,
      jagged fragments started to fall, and some 4 to 5 inches
      (10 to 12.5 centimeters) long were picked up. Some had
      sharp jagged edges. Lawns were turned white. There was
      terror in upper Plumstead," two miles north of Shooters
      Hill, "as a 'tornado-like wind' hurled down showers of ice
      for up to ten minutes."
      "'For several minutes, there was one long succession
      of crashing glass, windows were driven in, and huge
      pellets carried far into rooms.' Birds on Plumstead
      Common, knocked out of their trees, were killed and
      injured. Cows and horses ran about in panic in the
      fields. People running for cover were cut by flying ice
      and some even had their clothing cut 'as if by jagged
      "A hailstone picked up at Abbey Wood weighed over
      10.5 ounces. At Woolwich, a fragment weighted over a
      pound. Ice weighing up to 8 ounces was picked up at
      Eltham, and Belvedere, where it made a hole in the roof of
      the Conservative Club, and another made a 6-inch (15-
      centimeter) hole in the roof of the Salvation Army Hall."
      The intersection of Shooters Hill Road and Well Hall
      Road, at the foot of Shooters Hill, "is reputed to be
      haunted by a 'White Lady,' a ghost who makes a clockwork
      appearance on July 24 each year.
      In the Roman Catholic calendar, July 24 is the feast
      day of Saint Lewina, who "is supposed to have been
      martyred by the Saxons in England before their conversion
      to Christianity." The site of Lewina's martyrdom? None
      other than the foot of Shooters Hill.
      There is a possibility that St. Lewina's remains were
      accidentally unearthed in the mid-Nineteenth Century. On
      June 10, 1844, "a labourer unearthed the skeleton of a
      woman with the back of her skull badly fractured,
      indicating foul play. Much long golden hair was still
      attached to the skull..."
      "Prior to this, in the 1830s, it seems that people
      passing by had heard unaccountable noises and seen the
      phantom of a woman in a white dress gliding along. The
      remains were interred in a nearby churchyard, and her
      identity never discovered."
      UFOs are no stranger to the area, either. On
      September 8, 1974, "a bright, sulphurous light was seen
      over Plumstead Common at 11:25 p.m. It hovered, then shot
      off at great speed."
      The next day, September 9, 1974, "at mid-morning, the
      same, or a similar, object was seen at Eltham, a
      fantastically bright glare, moving slowly."
      Phantom panthers, aliens, ghosts, strange ice storms,
      martyred saints and UFOs--with the possible exception of
      Bigfoot, Shooters Hill, Greenwich, has it all. (See
      Fortean Times No. 14 for January 1976, "Notes on Greenwich
      Phenomena" by Steve Moore, pages 18 to 22. See also the
      Kentish Mercury for July 19 and July 26, 1963; the Kentish
      Independent for July 19 and July 26, 1963; the Kentish
      Mercury for July 24, 1925; the Kentish Independent for
      July 24, 1925; and the book Casebook for Ghosts by Elliott
      O'Donnell, Foulsham, London, 1969.)

      That's it for this week. Join us in seven days for
      more UFO, Fortean and paranormal news from around the
      planet Earth, brought to you by "the paper that goes home-
      -UFO Roundup." See you next time.

      UFO ROUNDUP: Copyright 2005 by Masinaigan
      Productions, all rights reserved. Readers may post news
      items from UFO Roundup on their Web sites or in news
      groups provided that they credit the newsletter and its
      editor by name and list the date of issue in which the
      item first appeared.

      E-Mail Reports to: Joseph Trainor <Masinaigan@...>
      or use the Sighting Report Form at:


      Website comments: John Hayes <webmaster@...>

      UFOINFO: http://www.ufoinfo.com

      Official Archives for UFO Roundup, AUFORN Australian
      UFO Reports and Experiences, UFO + PSI Magazine
      plus archives of Humanoid Sighting Reports (Albert
      Rosales), Filer's Files, UFO News UK.
      UFO Roundup is only sent to subscribers.
      If you wish to unsubscribe or feel you have received
      the bulletin in error, please write to:


      With the subject: Unsubscribe UFO Roundup.