18295Nick Pope's Column

    Jul 2 10:38 AM
      July 2005

      Weird World
      NICK POPE

      http://www.hotgossip.co.uk/July_2005/199.cntns

      Welcome to the July 2005 round up of news and views on UFOs, alien
      abductions, crop circles, ghosts, the paranormal, the unexplained, the
      weird and the wonderful.

      Microsoft, UFOs and Aliens

      I have been asked to judge a competition being run by Microsoft. MSN
      Spaces are inviting people to submit a picture (real or fake) of a UFO or
      alien, and follow the clues to track down the location of a hidden UFO
      base. Prizes include a holiday in Florida with VIP access to the NASA
      Space Center at Cape Canaveral, a digital camcorder, MP3 players and the
      trendy new Qee toys. Check out http://www.msnspacerace.co.uk/ for details,
      or enter the phrase MSN Space Race into Google.

      Crop Circle Conference 2005

      On August 13, 14 and 15 the Wiltshire Crop Circle Study Group are putting
      on what promises to be one of the largest crop circle conferences in
      recent years. The conference will be held at Marlborough College and
      speakers include Francine Blake, Michael Glickman, John Major Jenkins and
      Jay Goldner. Helicopter flights over crop circles and sacred dances in
      formations will also be available. Email wccsg@... for further
      details.

      Glastonbury Symposium 2005

      The other big crop circle conference is the annual Glastonbury Symposium.
      This will be held on July 22, 23 and 24 in the Town Hall at Glastonbury,
      and speakers include Andy Thomas, Robin Heath, John Michell, Marcus Allen
      and Sir Laurence Gardner. Check out www.glastonburysymposium.co.uk for
      further details.

      Crop Circles and The Sun

      Top UK tabloid The Sun put a crop circle on its front page on June 10.
      Under the headline Aliens Back Our Bid, the newspaper featured a formation
      in the shape of the Olympic symbol. The Sun was behind the stunt, and
      admitted they had commissioned the making of the formation, but it was a
      timely reminder of the enduring power of crop circle imagery, and the
      extent to which this is now part of popular culture.

      The War of the Worlds

      The must see movie of the summer, The War of the Worlds, is now on general
      release here in the UK. It remains to be seen whether such a Hollywood
      blockbuster will

      Exopolitics

      Alfred Lambremont Webre has authored a book entitled Exopolitics. His
      involvement with the study of the UFO phenomenon includes work with the
      Carter Administration and the prestigious Stanford Research Institute.
      Exopolitics is a controversial part of ufology, which attempts to define
      the position of humanity in a Universe populated with other intelligent
      civilisations. Check out http://www.exopolitics.com/ for details of the
      subject, and
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0973766301/qid=1119385731/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/104-8721351-2327150?v=glance&s=books
      for details of the book. Alternatively, key the word Exopolitics into
      Google or Amazon. Subtitled Politics, Government, and Law in the Universe,
      this book is bound to be controversial.

      The Secret History of Lucifer

      A fascinating book by top paranormal and esoteric author Lynn Picknett
      threatens to challenge everything you thought you knew about Lucifer.
      People expecting satanic revelations will be disappointed, because it
      seems the devil has been much maligned. Lucifer, Lynn suggests, has far
      more to do with Goddess worship, pagan rituals and enlightenment than
      anything evil. The subtitle Evil Angel or the Secret of Life Itself well
      illustrates the debate at the heart of this book. Check out
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/078671560X/104-8721351-2327150?v=glance
      for further details of the book, or search for the title on Google. And
      stand by for fireworks when this controversial book falls into the hands
      of the fundamentalist, patriarchal Christians that Lynn so despises. A
      more comprehensive review of this extraordinary, interesting,
      well-researched and controversial book will appear next month.

      Alien Abduction Study

      As mentioned in my column last month, the scientific study into the alien
      abduction phenomenon carried out by Professor Chris French at Goldsmiths
      College, University of London, has now been completed. I had a meeting
      with Chris and his team at the outset of the project, discussing
      methodology. I also helped promote the study and encouraged abductees I
      had worked with to take part. The analysis is now complete and Chris gave
      an overview of the study at a conference held at Liverpool Hope University
      College on Saturday June 4. Check out
      http://www.hope.ac.uk/anomalousexperience/programme.htm for details of
      this talk. The full report on the abduction study will be ready shortly.
      Chris forwarded me a copy of his paper, but asked me not to post it for
      now, as this might cause problems with subsequent publication in
      scientific journals. He did, however, say that I could post a summary of
      the paper. I am wary of this, as I am not a scientist, but I think I can
      safely say the following. The study involved 19 abductees (8 male, 11
      female) and a control group matched by age and gender. The study looked
      for postulated psychological differences between the two groups, for
      differences in susceptibility to false memories and for differences in ESP
      and PK abilities. Significant differences were found in areas such as
      tendency to hallucinate, absorption and dissociative tendencies. The
      results were less clear on fantasy-proneness, while no significant
      differences were found on susceptibility to false memory. Greater
      incidence of sleep paralysis was found among the abductees, though it was
      acknowledged that this might be a symptom of, and not an explanation for,
      alien abduction. The tests on paranormal abilities did not appear to show
      any significant differences, though there was one apparent difference on
      the clairvoyance test, which I am attempting to clarify. Once the paper
      has been published in scientific journals, I will feature a more detailed
      analysis in this column.

      Ed's Note:

      Nick Pope has written four books. Open Skies, Closed Minds is an overview
      of the UFO phenomenon with the emphasis on his official Ministry of
      Defence research and investigation. The Uninvited is an overview of the
      alien abduction mystery. Operation Thunder Child and Operation Lightning
      Strike are science fiction novels about alien invasion, incorporating UFO
      and abduction data. All four titles are available from most good bookshops
      and all the usual Internet book sites.

      Nick Pope has a website, which can be accessed at www.nickpope.net

      © Knight International
      www.knight-intl.com