18097Nick Pope's Column

    Apr 4, 2005
      April 2005

      http://www.hotgossip.co.uk/April_2005/172.cntns

      Weird World
      NICK POPE

      Welcome to the April 2005 round up of news and views on UFOs, alien
      abductions, crop circles, ghosts, the paranormal, the unexplained, the
      weird and the wonderful.

      Bizarre

      Page 114 of the May issue of Bizarre contains an interview with me, in
      which I describe some of the weird and wonderful cases that I came across
      while running the UFO Project at the Ministry of Defence. I cover some UFO
      sightings that are explained and others that remain a mystery, delve into
      the issue of cover-ups and conspiracies, and look at alien abductions.
      Although covering a full page, the interview is a heavily edited version
      of what was a lengthy discussion, and inevitably, a couple of comments
      have been taken out of context. Furthermore, Bizarre is a somewhat risqué
      magazine that some might find offensive. However, it is more evidence that
      the media are taking an increased interest in UFOs.

      Asteroid Alert

      As an Associate Member of Spaceguard UK, a lobby group raising awareness
      on the threat posed to the Earth by comets and asteroids, I was pleased to
      see the Daily Mail run a full page article on March 15, dealing with the
      work of Scottish scientist Dr Gianmarco Radice. Radice works at the
      Aerospace Engineering Department at Glasgow University and has won a
      research grant from the UK Engineering and Physical Sciences Research
      Council. Unlike most current work, his study will focus not on detection,
      but on the technology of interception and deflection. Check
      http://www.spaceguarduk.com/ for information of the threat we face and the
      action being taken to deal with it.

      Newcastle Science Festival

      My March 12 talk at Newcastle Science Festival was a great success, with
      an audience of around 350 and a question time that ran on for a long time
      after the scheduled period. It is easy to talk at UFO conferences, because
      there is a sense that one is preaching to the converted. It is more
      difficult to discuss UFOs at science events, and yet this will probably
      achieve more, in the longer term. I was particularly pleased to see so
      many young people taking such an active interest.

      The Beast of Sydenham

      More big cat sightings from the UK, with children being kept inside and
      armed police roaming the streets trying to track it down. I have been
      warning of this threat for years and have predicted that, tragically, it
      is only a matter of time before a child is killed. The latest alert
      follows an attack on a 36 year old man and a sighting by a police officer.
      In a related story, farmers in Oxfordshire have put up a reward for the
      capture of a big cat held responsible for killing livestock.

      Species III

      As mentioned in my last column, I have been doing some promotional work in
      respect of the forthcoming rental release of the new collectors edition
      DVD of the cult sci-fi movie Species III. The DVD was released on March 28
      and stars Natasha Henstridge and Sunny Mabrey. As anybody who has watched
      Metropolis or Barbarella will tell you, sex and sci-fi mix very well.
      Species III is a case in point. Look out for the DVD with its numerous
      special features. Sci-fi and horror fans alike will love it. A series of
      UFO and alien abduction related articles are appearing to coincide with
      the launch of the DVD, of which the article in Bizarre magazine is the
      first.

      Aliens: Why They Are Here

      Sunday Times cultural commentator Bryan Appleyard has a new book published
      in March, examining the UFO and alien abduction phenomenon in a cultural
      context. I have now received a review copy and am midway through the book.
      Although I do not agree with some of the points Bryan makes, this is a
      very well written book and easily the most significant addition to the
      ufological literature in recent years. Go to
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/
      0743256859/qid=1111928893/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_10_1/
      026-6976479-4448465 for details of the book and how to order it.

      X-Conference 2005

      Time is running out for those of you who wish to attend the second
      X-Conference, organised by Stephen Bassett, which will be held on April
      22-24 2005, in Washington DC. Check out
      http://www.paradigmclock.com/X-Conference/
      X-Conference.htm for details of the conference, and check
      http://www.paradigmclock.com/ for details of the wider UFO disclosure
      orientated work undertaken by Stephen Bassett. The participating speakers
      are now confirmed and include Stanton Friedman, Ann Druffel, Robert and
      Ryan Wood, Jaime Maussan, Michael Salla, Paola Harris, Richard Dolan and
      Alfred Webre. It promises to be a superb conference, and while this is
      primarily aimed at US readers, a fair few Brits made the trek over last
      year, and very much enjoyed themselves. And Washington in springtime is
      one of those trips that everybody should make once in a lifetime, to see
      the cherry trees in bloom, visit the White House and marvel at the Wright
      Flyer, on display at the Smithsonian.

      Ed's Note:

      Nick Pope has written four books. Open Skies, Closed Minds is an overview
      of the UFO phenomenon with the emphasis on his official Ministry of
      Defence research and investigation. The Uninvited is an overview of the
      alien abduction mystery. Operation Thunder Child and Operation Lightning
      Strike are science fiction novels about alien invasion, incorporating UFO
      and abduction data. All four titles are available from most good bookshops
      and all the usual Internet book sites.

      Nick Pope has a website, which can be accessed at www.nickpope.net

      © Knight International
      www.knight-intl.com