17773Fwd: [MeteorShowers] Meteor Showers in 2005 & the Quadrantids

    Jan 1, 2005
      ------- Forwarded message -------
      From: "starwanderer.geo" <starwanderer.geo@...>
      To: MeteorShowers@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [MeteorShowers] Meteor Showers in 2005 & the Quadrantids
      Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2005 06:50:35 -0000

      I'd like to let everyone know that the Meteor Showers in 2005 web pages
      have been updated and we're ready to start another year. You can find
      those pages at:

      Although the meteor portions of the monthly pages are complete for all of
      2005, I will be adding additional content over the next few days,
      including finder charts for the planets, and charts and information about
      interesting astronomical events happening in 2005, with special attention
      to those events that can be observed with the unaided eye, binoculars or a
      small telescope.

      To kind of start this off, and I know this isn't really an observable
      event, but you might find it interesting to know that you'll be closer to
      the Sun today than on any other day this year. The Earth is at perihelion
      and this means were as close to the Sun as we get all year.

      The first meteor shower of 2005 will occur in just a few days.
      Unfortunately the Moon will be a bit of a problem. This shower, the
      Quadrantids, will peak on Jan 3 at around 12:20 UT (7:20 AM EST, 6:20 AM
      CST, 5:20 AM MST and 4:20 AM PST), but in 2005 these meteors will be
      competing with a 53% illuminated Moon. Some Quadrantids may be seen now
      through January 6th, so anyone with clear skies can catch some Quadrantids
      this year.

      In years where the light of the Moon doesn't hamper observations, this
      shower is one of the better ones with peak hourly rates in excess of 100
      possible. The
      Quadrantids also present us with a bit of a mystery as it is the only
      major shower whose origin is unknown.

      As always, if you have any questions about astronomy, observing,
      telescopes and the like, please feel free to write my at the list owner
      address anytime. I know I fell way behind in answering email in 2004, in
      keeping the web pages updated and getting these notices out on time and
      for that I apologize to each of you. My New Year's resolution is to do all
      of these things, and more, promptly in 2005.

      I wish each and every one of you a Safe, Happy and Prosperous 2005.

      Community email addresses:
      Subscribe: MeteorShowers-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Shortcut URL to the group page: