Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

11669Fw: A longer version of the Lakenheath\Bentwaters incident

Expand Messages
  • Joe McGonagle
    Jan 31, 2002
      From the Newsgroups:

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Tom Buckner" <tbuckne1@...>
      Sent: Friday, February 01, 2002 1:25 AM
      Subject: A longer version of the Lakenheath\Bentwaters incident

      Here is an excerpt from a paper I turned in for an english
      research paper:
      The information in this was garnerd from the book "UFO's - A
      Debate" the book was a symposeum published in 72 and put together
      by the
      late great Carl Sagan. While Sagan never was convienced that
      ufo's were
      extraterrestrial he thought it certain that there were other
      beings out there. One thing that kept Mr. Sagan thinking that
      they were
      "out there" and not here was the fact that he didn't think that
      traval was possible.

      The account comes origionaly from The Condon Report and was
      investigated by McDonald who did more than just read the
      documents. He went to interview the witnesses and so on.
      Anyway this is the storie as best as this McDonald fellow could
      research it:

      This next case, also from Condon Report, is quite
      complicated because
      it involves many eyewitnesses and radar systems observing some
      objects for
      around six hours. The events of the report are centered around
      two Air Force
      bases in east-central England, Lakenheath a RAF (Royal Air Force)
      base, and
      Bentwaters a joint RAF/USAF base. The events begin around 9:30pm
      local time
      on August 13, 1956 when the GCA (Ground Controlled Approach)
      operator at the
      Bentwaters installation picked up a strong radar return moving at
      very high
      speed, estimated at anywhere from 5,000-9,000 mph, on a constant
      until it moved out of range. A few minutes later the same
      station tracked a
      group of 12-15 objects for 25 minutes. The group was moving
      together at
      speeds ranging between 80-125 mph with irregular spacing between
      them and
      was preceded by another 3 objects in a prefect triangular
      formation with
      about 1,000 feet separation. Towards the end of the 25 minutes
      individual radar blips appeared to converge to form one large
      blip at which
      point it stopped, remained motionless for 10-15 min, moved
      another 5-6
      miles, stopped again for 3-5 min, and finally moved off scope.
      Five minutes
      after dropping off the radarscope, another target was picked up,
      but only
      momentarily, as it was moving at around 12,000 mph. Some time
      between 10-11
      p.m. another fast moving target (2,000-4,000 mph) passed almost
      over the Bentwaters base and was observed by personnel on the
      ground and
      from by an aircraft looking down while on approach. Both
      describe only a
      blurred streak of light due to the speed of the thing. After
      this flyby,
      the Bentwaters CGA alerted Lakenheath CGA, because it was moving
      in their
      general direction. Lakenheath ground observers witnessed a
      luminous object
      come in low from the northeast, stop, and move out of sight to
      the east.
      Later, ground observers at Lakenheath described two white lights
      that joined
      and disappeared in formation together. Both radar tracking and
      observations agreed that "the objects [were] traveling at
      terrific speeds
      and then stopping and changing course immediately."(McDonald 79).
      still, the Lakenheath station again picked up an unknown target
      traveling at
      speeds of 600-800 mph in an erratic pattern. The stunning thing
      about this
      erratic pattern was that it was performing right angle turns at
      these speeds
      as well as stopping and starting instantaneously. The stop and
      go pattern
      was observed for about ten minutes before deciding to scramble a
      RAF Venom
      interceptor to investigate around midnight. The Venom is
      equipped with its
      own targeting radar system that also picked up the target that
      the pilot
      could plainly see as a bright white light. As the aircraft closed
      on the
      object, it disappeared from sight and radar at the same instant.
      radar again vectored him to the target when it reappeared and his
      radar also
      locked on when he came around but when he got close he again lost
      contact. The ground radar however, did maintain contact with the
      that made a quick move behind the plane and was now chasing the
      interceptor! The pilot acknowledged the turn of events tried to
      circle and
      get behind the target. He was entirely unsuccessful in trying to
      shake the
      UFO off his tail. The ground radar observed the UFO staying very
      close and
      at fixed distance to the plane. After about ten minutes of
      evasion maneuvers, the pilot elected to return to base, the UFO
      followed a
      short distance, stopped and then flew off. This remains
      classified as one
      of the 701 unidentified cases in Condon Report(McDonald 87).