RE: [Astrosciences] Shell posts biggest profit in UK corporate history

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 2006
      Ah but that is our money... I wonder what would happen if everyone went on
      strike for a week and bought no gas...Stayed home if they had to...I bet
      prices would fly back down quickly...

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2, 2006
        Hmmm,

        In the U.S. it is Exxon-Mobil that is getting attention. I helped both
        Exxon and Shell make
        these profits by purchasing their gasoline at the pump. They are swimming
        in such much
        money you would think they would now lower prices, but, as you probably
        know,
        they are rising again. Guess they don't feel wealthy enuf.

        Bill

        By Chris Isidore, CNNMoney.com senior writer
        January 30, 2006: 2:41 PM EST

        NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) - Exxon Mobil Corp. set U.S. records for annual and
        quarterly profits Monday as it easily topped fourth-quarter earnings
        forecasts.

        The nation's largest oil company reported net income in the fourth quarter
        of $10.7 billion, or $1.71 a share, compared to $8.4 billion, or $1.30 a
        share, a year earlier.

        Special Report full coverage

        Oil plunges over $2

        Religious group pushes Citgo gas boycott

        Specter: Congress to act on rising fuel prices

        OPEC says it will keep oil flowing

        Excluding items, Exxon Mobil (Research) earned $10.3 billion, or $1.65 per
        share, topping a consensus forecast of $1.44 a share from analysts surveyed
        by earnings tracker First Call. It also topped the record for quarterly
        profits it set in the third quarter, when it earned $9.9 billion.

        Shares of Exxon Mobil gained 2 percent in early-afternoon trading, helping
        to take the Dow into positive territory.

        For the year the company earned net income of $36.1 billion, or $33.9
        billion excluding special items. That's up 31 percent from the $25.9 billion
        it earned on that basis year earlier.

        Exxon Mobil's 2005 net income for the year comes to $1,146 a second. That
        per-second profit is enough to pay for gas for the average American vehicle
        to be driven 10,294 miles, at current gasoline prices.

        While oil and gasoline prices in the fourth quarter were down from the
        levels seen in September, that barely dented Exxon Mobil's top line. Revenue
        for the quarter was $99.7 billion, up from $81.9 billion in the year-earlier
        quarter, and down only 1 percent from the $100.7 billion in revenue in the
        third quarter. Full-year revenue came to $371 billion, or just over $1
        billion a day.

        The Exxon Mobil earnings statement was almost defensive about the record
        profit.

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 2, 2006
          Yeah and they will as long as we all keep rolling over... You know in
          payroll there is a saying... When someone constantly forgets their timecard,
          you only have to not pay them once and they start remembering... It's
          amazing...